Life is Perspective

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Life is Perspective

Post by D_Rabbit »

Pardon the spelling errors, I type best after a few beers:)

I have known quite a few of you guys since early 2010. I started brewing 12/31/2009. I have learned a ton from you all and I hope I have contributed to you all as well. I am 32 now. My life experiences have added a ton to my perspective over the years. Throughout my adult life I have always tried to pinpoint my purpose in life. That is a difficult thing to do for anyone. I have always enjoyed coaching. I have been average in talent my entire life but always obtain more knowledge than my body can produce in ability. I embrace the notion of "those who can't do....teach"

My wife has asked me over the last several years," what do you want to do when you grow up?" For most people my age that question has already been answered. But for me I still struggle with it. I have done multiple things, jobs and careers, but always feel like I'm missing the train. I think I figured out recently what I really enjoy doing!!

My beer club recently had a position open as an educational person. Basically the person who I was replacing was in charge of putting together a presentation each month of something new in regards to brewing or beer. I was partially forced in to the position. I was new to the club and was always talking with the prior position holder and he told me he was leaving and thought I would be great due to my knowledge. I thought he was crazy. After all, I had made 100-150 gallons of beer over a 5 year stretch. How can I have something to offer to guys how make that much in 1 year alone?

Tonight was my answer! It was my second presentation. My first was on yeast harvesting. I have learned to embrace and love power point and have taught myself how to use it. This presentation, May 13th, was in regards to grains. I brought 6 types of grains to sample, by tasting, and offered a description of how to sample them, SMaSH recipes, grain teas, or chewing them and a brief description on what they offer flavor wise. My main premise was to know what you are adding to your beers by trying them and not just reading what they offer. I had an extract brewer come up to me and ask if he can take some grains home to try a grain tea and another AG BREWER approach me and tell me it was a great presentation and offered a lot to AG Brewers as well as newer Brewers. I was really happy about the results.

It has taking me quite a while to figure out but I have finally done it. I love to teach. It May not be K-12 but overall just teaching. I have expressed this to my supervisors recently too in hopes that my knowledge in the field can be translated to teaching new hires in the company. I think it has gone over well too since I have spent 2 weeks training a new hire in my area.

My point is, some times it takes a while to find a purpose but at some point you will find yours!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Life is Perspective

Post by zorak1066 »

over 52 and still don't know my 'purpose'. use to drive me crazy not having a sense of vocation.. in all honesty it sometimes still does. I mean being a husband.. a friend... and all is fine but sometimes it all feels so empty know what I mean? if I could find a high paying job with benefits that paid me to do research and make beer... that would be bliss. til then I guess one must embrace the endless cycle of work , eat , sleep, repeat... and cling to the hope that better days will come. maybe 'purpose' is simply doing whatever it is you do and just doing it well, whatever it might be?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Purpose to me is finding what you are passionate about and then doing it as best you can. Money, although nice to have is secondary as long as your not starving to death. Money only buys you temporary happiness. Doing what you love is what really fulfills your soul. At least that's how I look at it.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

having had an abundance of neither happiness nor money in my life ever... I think I would like lots of money and take the 'happiness' I could buy with it, however transitory it might be. :P

being a cubicle slave that owes my soul to some guy name BILL that I keep getting mail from for over 35 years is really getting to be a major drag. gimmee a small piece of land by a lake... a 1200 sq ft cottage (cedar wainscoting) ... a hammock... a fire pit, a canoe, a couple rocking chairs on a screened porch and the means to make and drink beer for the rest of my days ... with the wife of course.... and I think then I could be happy for reals... drinking beer, smoking my pipe and listening to the loons cry at night and the froggies chirp... si seulement
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Good stuff D_Rabbit!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Dan, I think it's great you've found this out about yourself. Teaching is a gift (my wife and many of my family members are educators, so I have some background), and even if you don't do it professionally, in a classroom, knowing that you have this gift can make your life fulfilling in many ways as you apply it to your work, your brew club, and in other ways you can't even imagine yet.

Me, I decided long ago not to let myself get defined by what I do to make money. Yes, I've worked in pest control for 20 years now, and yes, I'm pretty darn good at it, but I'm more than just the Bug Guy. I also have teachable moments with my customers. That's satisfying. But even then, it's just part of what I do to make money. I find more satisfaction, and define myself, in other ways; husband and father, friend, brewer, movie aficionado, etc.

Sometimes work gets in the way of these other things more than I'd like, but by and large, I try to maintain a balance.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sounds great Rabbit. As a Coast Guard and police supervisor, one of my favorite tasks was training. I did love field work too. I'm glad you find teaching rewarding.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

That's great Dan! You were certainly one of the ones that taught and led me into All Grain brewing and I thank you.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Good for you Dan, follow what you feel even if it is hobby related or work related!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

zorak1066 wrote:having had an abundance of neither happiness nor money in my life ever... I think I would like lots of money and take the 'happiness' I could buy with it, however transitory it might be. :P

being a cubicle slave that owes my soul to some guy name BILL that I keep getting mail from for over 35 years is really getting to be a major drag. gimmee a small piece of land by a lake... a 1200 sq ft cottage (cedar wainscoting) ... a hammock... a fire pit, a canoe, a couple rocking chairs on a screened porch and the means to make and drink beer for the rest of my days ... with the wife of course.... and I think then I could be happy for reals... drinking beer, smoking my pipe and listening to the loons cry at night and the froggies chirp... si seulement
If you can cordon off a small section of your screened porch, I'd be happy to clean your beer equipment, help you brew and help you drink your beer. All the stuff you described sounds so stress free I'm not sure it exists :(
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

It is good to know what you really want to do in life. Not just to pay the bills, but to fulfill your soul. Sometimes it can even be something very simple. I've always wanted, as far back as I can recall, to have a hot dog stand. But no matter how much I've tried, they always fall over.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Nice to see you Joe. I'd like to tell you that I missed your jokes, but it just isn't so. :D
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Cool! I don't feel like I have the necessary patience to teach, although, at my work a lot of newcomers ask me to 'mentor' them. I do that willingly & have built many great relationships teaching rookies. Rookies always buy the beers for their mentors! That's my rule as a teacher.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

John Sand wrote:Nice to see you Joe. I'd like to tell you that I missed your jokes, but it just isn't so. :D
:lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)