5 gallon mash tun spigot issues

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

5 gallon mash tun spigot issues

Post by zorak1066 »

i have a 5 gallon orange IGLOO round cooler. i want to put a metal nozzle on it so i unscrewed the plastic spigot. i have 2 issues.

1- hole size: sometime somewhere rubbermaid changed the diameter of the hole for the spigot to 7/8"

2- NO RUBBER INSERT (GASKET). there is a flat washer-like gasket that sits between the wall inside and the inner plastic anchor parts for the spigot.

how can i convert this ??? i cant find a single design so far that shows what to do with no inner rubber gasket.

Q1: can i insert a 5/8" ID rubber grommet inside the cooler, put a 5/8" x 1.5" nipple through this and build the nozzle on this?

advice?
philm00x

Re: 5 gallon mash tun spigot issues

Post by philm00x »

This is how I converted my 5 gallon cooler...

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2010/12/ ... h-tun.html
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I followed Screwey's instructions also. But found that I needed a couple of extra o-rings to create a good seal. I was leaking a little liquid in between the cooler walls at first. I remember added an o-ring or two on the inside also to make sure that it was sealed. I also had to add a number of washers on the outside of the cooler to make sure I had clearance to operate the lever. I'll take a few pics tonight when I get home.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

i was looking at screwy's design too but he uses a 3/8" nipple. the hole is 7/8" diameter. there is no rubber inner gasket in the cooler that would keep the nipple from sliding around off center and causing leaks.

what if i use a 3/4" nipple and valve... 3/4 " is 6/8 leaving just 1/8" or 1/16" on either side that needs a washer or gasket?

cant see how 3/8 would work without that darn rubber gasket they so conveniently stopped using.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Now that you mention it, I used a 3/4" valve on mine.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

watched a youtube video (how to build the best mash tun from a cooler). his cooler was like mine.. no gasket / odd size hole. he gets past this using 1/2 inch nipple which he Teflon tapes on the valve side. he used a 3/4 inch silicone gasket (flat) that fits over the nipple, a metal washer and a lock nut. I guess with everything synched down tight enough it wont leak though I cant for the life of me see what would keep the nipple stationary.

Q: in theory at least, if the ball valve and lock nut are tight, would the thing be stable despite the 7/8" hole bored in the cooler wall?

I would use 3/4" parts but am having a hell of a time locating a source for stainless 3/4 inch nipples, nuts, valves etc....

my local home depot and lowes are a huge joke...as is most everything here.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

My cooler mashtun now is a 48 qt square Igloo cooler. It didn't have a pre-drilled hole. I drilled a 7/8 hole and use a 1/2 in ball valve. On the inside is a Bazooka Screen with a 1/2 nipple on the end. As you said, the OD of the 1/2 nipple is close enough to the 7/8. To flat silicone washers along with a S/S washer on each side. The Bazooka Screen goes through the hole and screws into the ball valve on the outside. A little teflon tape and it all works out fo rme.

On my brew kettle I drilled the same 7/8 hole and use a 1/2 nipple going through the hole with silicone and s/s washers on each side and a 1/2 s/s nut on the inside. On my kettle a little more teflon is needed to fill the gap to keep the setup from leaking, but it works out well in both cases.

If you are having trouble sourcing S/S fittings or washers you might have to look online. Or settle for lead free brass.
Brew Strong My Friends...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

First...I need to correct my previous thought. I had said that I used a 3/4" valve, wrong....it's a 1/2 valve. I had my golf league last night, so I didn't get a chance to take the pics. Was going to do that this morning, but my phone was dead. It's plugged in now, so hopefully I'll get enough charge before I leave for work to get a couple of pics for you. Unfortunately, I don't remember what size hole I used. Stay Tuned....
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Here are the pictures.
I remember why I had to use all the washers for spacers. I originally bought the 2 inch pipe that was threaded on both ends. This is the part that goes through the cooler wall and you connect the valve on the outside and the nipple end on the inside. Unfortunately, the 2 inch was too short so I bought the 3 inch. Which was more than I needed, so I used the washers as spacers. Again, this is the 1/2 ball valve, not a 3/4 inch as I incorrectly mentioned earlier.

Outside ballvalve:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041488.957348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041488.957348.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Close up of the outside:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041511.306167.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041511.306167.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Here is the picture of the inside (man that is dirty):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041530.800079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432041530.800079.jpg (90.29 KiB) Viewed 376 times
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Yep. I had to use a few extra washers too. You do what you need to to make it work. And who cares about a little extra dirtiness. The boil will take care of it. :p
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build