re use oak cubes?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

re use oak cubes?

Post by zorak1066 »

do you reuse your oak chips / cubes after soaking and using in a batch?

store them in a mason jar of bourbon? or dry them in oven if you do ... or other?

thanks
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Re: re use oak cubes?

Post by jimjohson »

I do not re-use
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I don't see why you could not re-use however. You aren't going to "de-wood" the wood with one use.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm sure they lose some flavor after just one use but I'd worry about contamination. But then again, some of the beers brewers use them in is 10-12% and that can kill off lots of contamination.
But, they are pretty cheap so I'd just buy more and not take any chances.
mashani said 'de-wood' <said in a Beavus and Butt-Head voice>
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you are going to brew with the same or similar yeast, I wouldn't worry so much about cross contamination, as that's what you would likely get if you got anything. But if you oaked a French Saison, then yeah, maybe not use those chips in a stout. Unless you want a freaking dry stout.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

if they get soaked in bourbon prior to each use though, wouldn't that sanitize them anyway? at least in theory? or alternatively I could store the cubes in bourbon in a mason jar between uses. it would leech out some of the oaky flavors over time but it would increase the bourbon flavors in the wood.

I was thinking I would dry them on a cookie sheet in the over after use... then pop them in a jar of bourbon to wait for the next use. between the oven and the booze it should nuke the yeast that might be living on them.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Most likely, unless something soaks into the middle and it doesn't get hot enough/boozy enough in there and then it soaks back out in your beer. It's probably safe, I wouldn't worry about it myself, but if you really want to be sure then be paranoid I guess. A minimal cross infection with another strain of sacc wouldn't be a big deal to me as long as it's got similar properties.

FWIW, Belgians re-use wooden barrels all the time for spontaneous fermentations. But they are doing it because the barrels are inoculated with the yeast/bugs they want in the beer. They don't try to kill the critters, they consider them to be friends.

EDIT: FWIW as well, you can add the burbon you soaked the chips in to the beer, and get both burbon and oakey flavors. No reason to waste that stuff.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm not a re-user so I am no help here. But in theory I don't see why you couldn't do what is being discussed.