Where to start with kegging?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Where to start with kegging?

Post by JimH »

Hello Borg!
I am not currently brewing at the moment while I continue the search for a new career and (hopefully) a brewing friendly living arrangement. With that said, when I do get settled in my new place, I want to start kegging! But, now, I don't know where to start. Obviously a keg and a fridge, but that leads so many questions.
I don't think I want to spend the money on a ready-made kegerator, seems so much easier to find an old fridge/freezer and make the conversion myself, right?
Also, what is the best way to do this? Should I buy kegs and equipment separately, or should I just purchase a ready to go kit, such as the one from Northern Brewer?
Should I save up my money (I already have a good amount saved up for this) and purchase the two-keg kit with the independent regulators, or should I just start with one keg and add on from there?
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Where to start with kegging?

Post by Gymrat »

I think you should do some comparative price shopping. Absolutely check out the beverage factory and farmhouse brewing supply. Right now farmhouse has the best price on new kegs I have seen.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'd also talk a bit with your LHBS as they maybe can give you some good advice
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Think about how many beers you would like to have on tap, then add 2. :lol:

Except for my Craigslist finds, all my kegging equipment has come from Kegconnection. Decent prices and fantastic service. They will help you configure any set up you could dream of. I have 2 kenmore freezers, one for a keezer (serves at 38*) and another that I use for "cellaring" beers at 50 degrees. I am running both without external controllers following information found in this thread. I am just running picnic taps for all my pours. I keep the lines coiled on top of the kegs, works great for me.

Good to see you posting. All the best with the job and living arrangement search. If my older self could say one word to my younger self, it would be "basement"
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Compare what your options are, and make the best choice for your circumstances. Buying an entire self-contained unit is pricey, and saving up for it can lead to temptation to spend that wad of cash you're amassing. I put mine together piece-by-piece, and that took time, but was easier on the pocketbook in the long run.

It will also depend on the space you have for it, which you don't know yet. And what your consumption level is. I went with two taps, and I can fit three kegs in my keezer, and I haven't had all three kegs filled at the same time yet. Other people can get by with one keg for months.

Building your own unit isn't all that difficult, with the right tools and know-how or the right friends with the tools and know-how.

As with many aspects of this hobby, a lot of it comes down to Brewer's Choice. Do as much research as possible, ask as many questions of as many people as possible, and consider what your individual needs and wants are.

But I would give you this advice: Go a bit larger than you think you need. The likelihood that you'll want to expand a smaller rig would be higher than regretting a larger one, IMO.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Just for __its and giggles, I would recommend that you spend some time on You Tube and check out some of the builds they have on there. Just type in kegerater or keezer and check out the vids. They have some neat builds and keep the cost down also recommendations for a lot of situations.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

All great advice. I'll give a 2nd recommendation to kegconnection.com. That is where I got my CO2 tank, regulator, hoses, connectors, etc. Everything came fully assembled and has performed flawlessly. Prices were great and service was even better when I had a couple quick questions. I picked up 2 cornys at my LHBS. A bit pricey, but I couldn't find anything else at the time. Then picked up 3 more off of Craigslist for $50 each. I'd check CL at least weekly because once they pop up, they are gone quick. I use statewidelist.com to search CL. Hits all the major cities so you don't have to keep jumping from city to city on CL.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Well, I already know this project will be getting way out of hand at some point, hopefully with some sort of bar area and custom tap handles, but I do anticipate starting somewhat small! :whistle: ;)

What I do know is that my wife likes darker beers, and I like just about everything but would probably keep an IPA more often than not. Which means that I will need (at least) 2 kegs, but an independent regulator for different CO2 pressure to the different styles.

I was thinking about either starting with 1 keg, but buying the CO2 rig for the two kegs and expanding but buying the kit whole would save quite a bit of time.

Thanks for the input guys!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

FedoraDave wrote:Compare what your options are, and make the best choice for your circumstances. Buying an entire self-contained unit is pricey, and saving up for it can lead to temptation to spend that wad of cash you're amassing. I put mine together piece-by-piece, and that took time, but was easier on the pocketbook in the long run.
Is the price difference between build your own and ready made significant? I was looking at building one, but wasn't sure about all the pieces I would need, which is why I thought ready built would save a headache of multiple runs to the parts store. I have a few hundred dollars put away that I have set aside just for this. Kegging is just about the only thing on my wishlist right now.
FedoraDave wrote:It will also depend on the space you have for it, which you don't know yet. And what your consumption level is. I went with two taps, and I can fit three kegs in my keezer, and I haven't had all three kegs filled at the same time yet. Other people can get by with one keg for months.
I think 2 kegs would probably be just about right for me and my wife, plus hopefully some friends. I guess we will see once I get settled and what kind of brew schedule I can work in, plus consumption.
FedoraDave wrote:Building your own unit isn't all that difficult, with the right tools and know-how or the right friends with the tools and know-how.
I think I can handle the build, it's just trying to figure out all the little bits and pieces that feels a bit frustrating.
FedoraDave wrote:But I would give you this advice: Go a bit larger than you think you need. The likelihood that you'll want to expand a smaller rig would be higher than regretting a larger one, IMO.
Always great advice from the Hat!

Thanks, Dave!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Adventures in Homebrewing has used ball lock "loose handle/bottom" kegs for $39.95 ea. Reading the reviews 9 out of 10 it seems say they have not gotten a keg with a loose handle or bottom. I just bought two should have Thursday. Good places also for keg accessories, as mentioned Keg Connection, also Keg Works and Beverage Elements.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

IMHO I would make a list of all things needed to make it happen then research on pricing and shipping and compare cost to each other on new rig or buying separate then take it from there. remember the more you save on the rig the more you have for your beer making.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

The difference in price of building and buying ready made is huge. You are not going to get a ready made kegorator worth having for under $800. If you spend less than that you are going to get a really disappointing piece of equipment. You can buy a really nice freezer brand new for $200. It doesn't take much to build a collar to put the lid on if you are at all handy. You might be able to find a good freezer much cheaper than that used.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Just opened the "loose handle/bottom" kegs I ordered from AIH, both kegs have solid handles and bottoms, pulled the pressure relief and full of CO2! Nothing loose and holding pressure great, good bath inside and out and put in service!
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Just opened the "loose handle/bottom" kegs I ordered from AIH, both kegs have solid handles and bottoms, pulled the pressure relief and full of CO2! Nothing loose and holding pressure great, good bath inside and out and put in service!
NICE!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I agree with Roger that it's cheaper to buy components and do your own build.

As far as all the bits and pieces, I completely understand. I wrote a whole blog entry about it. http://www.beerborg.com/index/

The thing that really helped me was the suggestion made by my LHBS guy. Think of it as a roadmap, with your starting point being the CO2 tank and the destination being the tap. Follow that route and list all the stuff you need: CO2 --> regulator --> hose clamp --> gas line --> hose clamp --> splitter etc. etc. This helped me list and inventory everything along the way as I was acquiring it, so nothing would be forgotten.

Once you get a handle on how the thing is set up, it's easy to understand what you need every step of the way.

There's also a site somewhere that lists the number of kegs that will fit in certain chest freezers, and that was a godsend for me when choosing what size freezer to get. I can't find it now, and I have to get ready for work, but I'll keep looking for it. My keezer isn't all that big (I forget what the cubic footage is), but I can fit three kegs and the CO2 tank in there. It's a tight fit, but it can be done. I'll keep looking for that site.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer