Come question Brewdemon fermentation

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Nach

Come question Brewdemon fermentation

Post by Nach »

Hi,

Lets see if someone can help me.

I've made my first batch with brewdemon. It is a Pilsner. In the instructions of the recipe says that the fermentation needs to be at least 7 days, is ts that enought or it needs normally more days?

Also it says to keep atemperature between 65 and 82 degrees, what it is the optimal temperature?
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Come question Brewdemon fermentation

Post by swenocha »

IMHO, optimal temps are in the 60's. I try to hit 65-68 degrees. Warmer temps (like the high end of that range) will lead to off-flavors that may or may not condition out. A much cleaner beer to be had at the low end of the range. You can use swamp coolers, ice in a cooler, etc to keep it cooler if need be.

As for fermenting time... it may be ready at 7 days, but you won't know until you buy a hydrometer (the best $8 investment you can make on your brewing adventure). Most here recommend fermenting 3 weeks to be certain fermentation is complete. This beer likely will be done at 14 days, but it's better to be on the safe side in lieu of a hydrometer, so I'd recommend 3 weeks.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

If you have a hydrometer, you can take readings and will know when it is done fermenting. IMO 7 days is too short if you aren't taking measurements. I would go at least 14 days in the fermenter (21 if you are patient enough). Then bottle and keep at room temp for another 2 weeks minimum. In my experience BD, MB and other extract kits taste better after extended conditioning, like 6-8 weeks in the bottle at room temp.

Temp control during fermentation is important. The yeast has a range where it will do its job, but will do it much better if it is consistent. Try to keep it steady between 65-70 if you can. The actual temp of the fermenting wort can be as much as 10 degrees higher than ambient temp.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Nach

Post by Nach »

Thanks everybody for the recommendations.

I don't have any problem on waiting longer if the beer its going to taste better.

So as reading you guys, my problem becames with the temperature. In the instruction is saying that it can be between 65-82... and with the temmometer taht cames with the kit its says that is close to 80.

is this going to affect to the taste of the beer?

What is the best way to keep it in a stable temperature?
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Try to get the temp on that strip down into the upper 60's, it will turn out better at a lower temp. For the optimal fermentation time, if you don't have an hydrometer yet, let it go 14-21 days, leaning more toward the 21 if you can get the temp down. Patience is the key to this hobby! Can you put the fermenter in a cooler and leave the lid open or off of the cooler (not the fermenter) and put water with ice packs in it, cover with a towel and change out ice packs when needed.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Temps about about 74* can cause some off flavors so if you can lower the temperature do so.

If you have a basement that you can move it to where it much cooler that will usually work. Try not shake it or disturb it too much while moving. If you don't have a basement and you can find/get a big enough cooler you can put it in that with some ice blocks or frozen water bottles. Others have used a wet towel drapped over the fermenter with a fan blowing on it to cause an induction cooling effect. Just make sure not to block the vent plug or air lock.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi,

Can somebody explain me how does it work the Hydrometer?

Also i'm trying to get more into this world, so if somebody has guides, webpages and things like that with recommendation, tips and everything that i can read it will be very helpful.

Thanks!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Mr. Beer has a nice little vid:

CraigTube is more entertaining though... ;)

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hey, check this article for hydrometer info. Don't worry that it's about wine making - the same principles apply. It has pictures that will help you understand more then words.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/h ... er_use.htm
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi,

Once more question. My wort has been a couple of days with higher temperature that recommended, like at the 80' so I don't know if the wort is scrub up.

How many days does normally need to start making foam inside the fermenter?
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Nach wrote:Hi,

Once more question. My wort has been a couple of days with higher temperature that recommended, like at the 80' so I don't know if the wort is scrub up.

How many days does normally need to start making foam inside the fermenter?
Extended conditioning time in the bottle will help clean up a lot of the off flavors from a warmer fermentation. Maybe not all, but it will definitely help. Try to get those temps down as soon as possible.

The foam (krausen) in the fermenter varies from beer to beer. For the pilsner kit, I wouldn't expect a lot of krausen, but it will typically show up within a couple days of starting the fermentation. If you see a layer of sediment (trub) starting to form on the bottom of the fermenter, then all is well.

Fermentation can be fun to watch. Here is a video of an active fermentation. Not all are like this, but if you see this then the yeast is doing its job very well.

Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Nach wrote:How many days does normally need to start making foam inside the fermenter?
Looking for foam is a bit unreliable, some yeast strains are extremely active, some aren't. Look at the bottom of the fermenter for white "gunk" to let you know the yeast is at work.

I've never used the yeast that comes with Brew Demon, but 80 seems a bit high. You might end up with some off flavors such as cider or burning alcohol reminiscent of vodka. But, this is your first batch, it wasn't going to be perfection, and some yeast strains can tolerate it that high, so you might be ok.

You asked about the "best way to keep stable temperature." Well, the best way is to make a fermentation chamber from a fridge/freezer and get a Johnson Controller. But I wouldn't recommend that until you are sure you are sticking with this hobby. If you can find any type of box/container that fits your fermenter, you can put it in there, and swap out ice bottles to try and keep the temperature down. If you have a basement, that's a good place to do your fermenting. You can also Google "Swamp Cooler" to get some ideas.
pengins27

Post by pengins27 »

i agree with the post above, tho i dont have any experience with BD, all of the MrB kits i've done (both straight and simple and their recipes) have always tasted better the longer they sit in the basement conditioning. Especially the Oktoberfest (which i used often for i love amber beer) - they always had an appley taste to them....if they it 35-60 days they seem to taste better.
=====================
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bluejaye wrote: I've never used the yeast that comes with Brew Demon, but 80 seems a bit high. You might end up with some off flavors such as cider or burning alcohol reminiscent of vodka.
It's S-33 as far as I know (Sam said it was at one point). That yeast is OK up to 77, although much cleaner below 70. At 80, I don't think it will throw a ton of fusel alcohols, but it might start to taste a lot more Belgian-like. As in it will probably add significant phenols and fruity esters. So as long as you don't mind getting a Belgian Blonde instead of a Pilsner, it might be ok.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

That all looks like good advice.
If you want further reading, try Palmer's "How to Brew"
The first edition is available online, free. After reading that, I picked up a used copy on ebay. And you can always ask your questions here.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.