Come question Brewdemon fermentation

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Nach

Re: Come question Brewdemon fermentation

Post by Nach »

t this point i'm just trying to keep the temperature down with ice bags... it has been a couple of day in almost 80, so i hope the yeast is not dead since in the instructions from brewdemon says that it can be between 65 and 82...

Anyway it's my first batch so i take it as a learning batch and process... lets see what its the final result.

Thanks for the help
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The yeast isn't dead from the temps your at. It would only be dead if you pitched it into your fermenter with wort that was over 100 degrees, and even that wouldn't likely kill all of it. Dry yeast is pretty tough.

You did put cold water into the fermenter with the wort before you pitched it right?

If there is white stuff at the bottom of your fermenter (in the cone part) then your yeast isn't dead.
Nach

Post by Nach »

Thanks mashani! Yes I added cold water before piched up.

I just bought a cooler and I have inside the fermenter with some ice so I can reduce the temperature until the high 60...

The cone from brew demon it's pretty dark, but it looks like that yes I have some of the white stuff at the bottom.

Thanks again for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Nach, it should look something like this if you shine a flashlight at it.
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG (13.56 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Probably not quite as much in your case, probably below the spigot. My batch here has a lot of break material that ended up in the fermenter, which is why I have the fermenter tilted back a bit on shims (to keep spigot clear).
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi! Once more question...

In the bredemon kits it's says to use regular white sugar to carbonate the beer.

What's the difference between using white sugar, brown sugar or primming sugar??

Thanks!!

jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Nach wrote:Hi! Once more question...

In the bredemon kits it's says to use regular white sugar to carbonate the beer.

What's the difference between using white sugar, brown sugar or primming sugar??

Thanks!!

Brown sugar can taste like molasses. Beyond that you need a little more dextrose(corn sugar) than sucrose (white sugar).
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Priming sugar is white sugar and they are 100% fermentable. So it will all go to carbing and leave no residual sweetness behind. Brown sugar is is mostly fermentable but will leave behind some flavors, typically in the molasses rule flavor profile. It can lead to additional sweetness and change the flavor a bit. Your better off using white sugar or priming sugar to learn a beers profile before you start making a change like changing the type of sugars used for carbing.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Nach

Post by Nach »

Thanks again guys!

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Natch, I'll give you another tip. If you want to bottle prime, and you can get Dominos Dots sugar cubes at a grocery store near you, and you can find the 2.5 gram ones (they come in a box of 198 cubes) then those are "easy mode" priming. For most beers, just use 1 of them per 12oz of beer. So you can use 2 in a 740ML PET, or 3 in a 1L PET and it comes out decent for most stuff. No mess, you just chuck them in. If you want to experiment with English like carb levels use one less cube - or even just 1 cube in a 1L if you want it as close as you can to something like hand pulled cask pour. If you want to experiment with Belgian like carb levels use one more cube.
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi mashani!!

Thanks for the tip. I'm making a Pilsner and I will use white sugar. From the brewdemon instructions is saying to use 3/4 of teaspoon for 12 oz bottle.

What do you think for a Pilsner?

Thanks!

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Their recommended amount will be fine. Their recommended amounts are actually a bit high for many things, but pilsner is good with that much carb.
Nach

Post by Nach »

What's the best way to put the sugar for bottling taking into account that I have a brewdemon kit, so I don't have a bottling buklcket?

Is it better to put the sugar in the glass bottles or boil water add the sugar and put it into the conical fermenter?

The conical fermenter if I have to mix it it will probably move the sediment from the bottom isn't it?

Thanks!

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Put the sugar directly in the bottles if you don't have a second fermenter or bottling bucket. You don't want to stir up the yeast cake mixing it in.

You do not need to boil it, just use a sanitized measuring spoon.

Sugar, in of itself, does not harbor bacteria. It is a desiccant. (sucks the moisture out of micro organisms, and they die). So sugar is safe to use dry as long as you don't infect it with something and then dilute it immediately.

You will discover that measuring the sugar is a bit messy and time cosuming. That's where the sugar cubes I mentioned come in if you want to keep bottle priming. Those you just stick one in each bottle and your done.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

mashani wrote:Put the sugar directly in the bottles if you don't have a second fermenter or bottling bucket. You don't want to stir up the yeast cake mixing it in.

You do not need to boil it, just use a sanitized measuring spoon.

Sugar, in of itself, does not harbor bacteria. It is a desiccant. (sucks the moisture out of micro organisms, and they die). So sugar is safe to use dry as long as you don't infect it with something and then dilute it immediately.

You will discover that measuring the sugar is a bit messy and time cosuming. That's where the sugar cubes I mentioned come in if you want to keep bottle priming. Those you just stick one in each bottle and your done.
I use a "sanatized" funnel and measuring spoon to add sugar to the bottles when I do a smaller batch and I will usually use just under 1/2 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle depending on the type of beer. I will usually double check my measurements with ScrewyBrewers bottle priming calculator and adjust the amount depending on the style based on that.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi! I Already bottled that batch yesterday. It was my first batch and it has a decent taste.

Also yesterday ill prepared my second batch, and I was using my new upgrade bubbler, will I was putting it, some of the sanitizer that was in the bubbler fell in the fermenter. Is that a big problem and I scrub up the batch??