BrewDemon Recipes

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Nach

BrewDemon Recipes

Post by Nach »

Hi!

I've done my first batch form from brewdemon it was a Pilsner.

For the second one, I bought from Brewdemon, one of the recipes that they have, the Dante's Lemon Wheat

https://www.brewdemon.com/refills/demon ... wheat.html

So I was wondering if, people has recipes to share with malt extract. If they are in the 2 gallon size better but if not, we can scale them.

Thanks!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: BrewDemon Recipes

Post by mashani »

I'm not sure if your asking for recipes that use HMEs like BrewDemon or Mr. Beer cans, or just simple extract recipes using unhoped extract with a hop boil.

If using the HMEs, the best place to find recipes is their web sites (Mr. Beer site has a ton of them), or the Mr. Beer community forum and Mr. Beer Fans forum.

For simple extract recipes that are designed for 2 to 2.5 gallons, look here under the "Basic Recipes" forum, and/or also look at the Mr. Beer community forum, or the Mr. Beer Fans web site.

But since your using a BrewDemon conical, you can just browse the web for 5 gallon extract recipes and then cut them in half. 2.5 gallons works great in them. I do 2.5 gallon batches in them all the time.

You can even buy a 5 gallon "kit" from a home brew store or a web store like MoreBeer or Northern or Midwest, and simply divide the ingredients in half, then make 2 batches out of it. Some homebrew stores have recipes they mix on the spot, and if you ask they could split it into two 2.5 gallon amounts for you.

If you buy a second conical, you can brew a 5 gallon recipe and split it between the two fermenters. I do that all the time too.
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hi Mashasi,

Thanks for the help and sorry if I didn't explain myself well, but English is not my first language, I'm from Spain but I live here in U.S.

What I was saying is that, my first batch was a Pilsner from brewdemon. The second one, is a wheat beer but is from their recipe book, so you have the LME and the recipe tells you what other ingredients to use like lemon, cinamon and coriander seeds to make the recipe.

So that's what I was looking for, for recipes that I can use LME and add other hops and ingredients.

So my question was if there was a page with this recipes, but as you where saying I will have a look to the mr. Beer web page and the basic recipes to see what i find.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hey Nach, let me know if you need anything else.

For your information, when we talk about LME we are generally talking about extract that has not already had any hops added at all. When we talk about the stuff Mr. Beer or BrewDemon extracts (and also some Coopers and Muntons) that come in a can and already have hops added, we call those HMEs. As in Hopped Malt Extract.

So what you will find here on this board in Basic recipes tends to be using the unhopped LME.

The biggest difference is that you need to boil enough hops to achieve the bitterness and flavor you want. This gives you more control - as the canned hopped extracts "are what they are". But it takes a bit more time. And might require a larger pot depending on how you do it.

BTW: One of my good friends lived for many years in Spain, and loved his time there. So much that he would have stayed if he could.
Nach

Post by Nach »

Hey Mashani,

Yes Spain is a wonderful country to live, but right now there is a high rate of unemployment, so that why i'm in the US, working.

i will have a look to the one's that you recommended me, i want to try several batches of extract before moving to whole grain.

one elas question, for the yeast that is used in this kits, that is a dry yeast, is it good to rehydrate the yeast and how you do it, or its fine using it as it comes??

I saw in the How to brew from John Palmer that he rehydrates the yeast but he was doing it with hot water and i dont know if this yeast is good to do that.

Or you recomend me to buy another yeast, instead or using the one in the kits?

Thanks!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have both rehydrated and directly pitched dry yeast. I never have been able to tell a difference in the outcome of the beer. So I just directly pitch the yeast these days. To me, it's one less thing to worry about, one less place to get a beer infecting bug introduced.

As far as yeast types, by changing the included yeast, you can change the flavor profile of the beer quite noticeably. So it is worth experimenting with if you have the time/patience to brew the same beer multiple times, and change the yeast type.

The yeast that you get in the kits from BrewDemon is SafeAle S-33. The yeast you get in the kits from Mr. Beer/Coopers is Coopers Ale yeast. The exception are the wheat beers, you get some unknown wheat beer strain with those, and I don't think the dry alternatives are any better/worse. The best wheat beer yeasts are still just liquid yeast strains in my view.

To change it up:

IE for an American style beer (IPA/APA), try using SafeAle S-05, or Lallemand BRY-97
For a British style beer try using SafeAle S-04, or Danstar (Lallemand) Windsor, or Muntons Gold yeast (make sure it's the Gold).
For a Belgian style beer, try using SafeAle or Lallemand Abbaye yeast, or Lallemand Bella Saison.
If it's a lager and you can ferment in mid 50s, try one of the dry Lager strains (SafeLager S-23 or 34/70). If you can do 57-60 degrees try Danstar (Lallemand) Notthignham.

You will notice differences in flavor profile in all cases. Huge differences in some styles (Belgian especially). That BrewDemon Pilsner you made first batch would taste very different if you used SafeLager 34/70.