Mutton's Recipe kits and a sale on beer supplies?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Mutton's Recipe kits and a sale on beer supplies?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Has anyone tried any of the HME (hopped malt extract) kits from Muntons?
My wife just forwarded an email to me from the company that she buys her soap making supplies from, Bulk Apothecary. They are closing out all of their beer and wine making supplies, Beer Making Supplies. Just use the word "cheers" at checkout. The discount does drop the prices somewhat. I was looking at the Muntons 1.8Kg/4Lb ingredient kits as they're a little more affordable than the others. Looks to be 5-6Gallon recipes. I think I could probably spend a bunch of money there, I'm surprised my wife sent the email to me.... :jumpy:
Tony
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Beer-lord

Re: Mutton's Recipe kits and a sale on beer supplies?

Post by Beer-lord »

Tony, It was the last century since I've used Muntons but my only concern would be how fresh those cans are. I doubt you can find out but I did recently read on another forum that someone bought some Muntons from Amazon and they were very close to the 'best buy' date.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

YankeeDag posted a recipe based on Munton on the main web pages that is a 2.5 gallon recipe.

http://www.beerborg.com/index/2013/01/quick-brew/
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The Muntons GOLD kits are perfect for brewing in a BrewDemon Conical, and they make better beer then the Mr. Beer cans or the BrewDemon cans in my opinion. They are hopped with good English hops and all malt.

They come as 2 3.3# cans. Each can will make 2.5 gallons of good beer. The kit comes with one pack of yeast, so you just need to buy another pack or split the included pack - I would suggest using the entire pack in one can, and something like S-04 or another pack of Muntons GOLD yeast in the second.

Note the GOLD. If it comes in a box with 2 cans, it's the GOLD. If it comes as a single can... well, they aren't as good. Muntons GOLD yeast is a good English yeast. Muntons regular yeast is not so good.

Muntons also makes a line of canned extract called Woodforde, based on the recipies of Woodforde brewery - recipes that medaled or won British Campaign for Real Ale competitions. If you can find those, they are quite simply the best canned hopped malt extracts that I've ever found. I do not know that they are readily available in the states, but I think you can still find them once in a while. They are like the GOLD kits, they come in a box with 2 3.3# cans.