Hello Borg

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Hello Borg

Post by JohnSant »

IMHO gas is the way to go. As Dave said more control. Also when checking out ranges be sure to insure you have a top with plenty of BTU output. Our last range we got was with 1 high 2 medium and 1 low burners, I wish now that we had gotten 2 high BTU burners, but hay that's just me. Real glad to hear you both are doing better and moving on. Greenville is such a nice place, I have spent a lot of time there. Really liked the Hunting and Fishing around that area. (7 Deer per season WOW) :flag:
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I have used both Gas and Electric. If you have the opportunity to get gas than get it! If you don't like it than you can always switch out the stove for an electric but it will be more difficult to add it in once the place is complete. I LOVE cooking with gas compared to electric. It is faster and easier to cook with. You don't have to worry about the top staying hot for an extended period of time either. I re-iterate the Convection oven though. That will allow a more even distribustion of the heat in the oven compared to one without.

It took me forever to get a 4 gallon batch to a boil on an electric and keeping it at a rolling boil was near impossible.

Good luck with the new place! Since you are building you might as well have them add on a brew room :)
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Wow look at gas get elected hands down, I wish picking a prez was this easy. :lol:

???? Convection folks I saw gas cook top but electric convection for oven is that what you are saying or is there convection gas ovens?

We mash in a pre-heated oven ala SMEIBB (Mashani are you out there) so I'm interested in consistency for both.

So just to be clear gas for burners but electric convection for oven. ( Don't mean to seem dense we've never had a choice before)

Thanks for the big welcome back from all of you BTW. I never exactly understood when folks were posting about "life getting in the way" but I sure do now, it got way crazy around here for a while.

The sleeves on the white coat were way to short so I kept getting out and heading for my true destination which was Greenville Michigan all along but BB2 had the map upside down and ... oh well I gave you the short version for a reason.

I MISSED YOU SO MUCH RB :redface: :redface: the nurses just couldn't relate to me at all. :unsure: It feels so good to be back with the ones I stalk :oops: admire. :)

ER UMM I better go check dinner now........... :night: :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

There are reasons why my wife & I will never live in Virginia again (cause where we are now is so much nicer). I would recommend a gas stove as well; I just prefer the way you can better control the heat on each burner.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

Gas all the way. At work and home we have stone in our ovens. Hopefully I will never have cook on electric again.
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

braukasper wrote:Gas all the way. At work and home we have stone in our ovens. Hopefully I will never have cook on electric again.
What stone in your ovens HB? I've heard of pizza stones and stone ovens (which I hope to put one of in the back yard), which I think are actually bricks but not putting them inside an oven.

I was reading reviews that some folks thought gas ovens had uneven heat, is that what you mean?

I thought getting convection fixed that but didn't know if it was available with gas.

Also are the ones you use a single unit or separate cooktop and oven? I was thinking of looking at used commercial units to see how expensive they are.

:thanks:
Sibling Brewers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have a gas oven with convection, you certainly can have both. If you can get one with a commercial burner, you can boil 2.5 gallon batches pretty quickly too. (not so much 5 gallon ones, even with that, outdoor propane is the way to go for that). I vote for gas too. And I'm glad your back!