Pumpkin Graham Cracker Ale

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Pumpkin Graham Cracker Ale

Post by Ibasterd »

Hello all. Getting that time of year when I want to start planning a pumpkin beer. As I was looking around and planning a recipe, I came across a "Pumpkin Graham Cracker Ale". The grain bill was pretty straightforward but the recipe did not mention how to handle the graham crackers. I'm assuming that you throw them in with the mash? Has anyone ever done or heard of this. It sounds intriguing, and I'd like to give it a try.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
philm00x

Re: Pumpkin Graham Cracker Ale

Post by philm00x »

Ahhhh it burns my eyes to read this! Lol jk. My friend did a chocolate pretzel brown ale recently and added toasted and crumbled pretzels to the mash. I reckon that would be the best way to go, other than racking on top on secondary, but then you'll have to worry about filtering the crumbs out of the beer before bottling.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

What? Is it wrong? Is it bad? I actually have done some reading on other forums (gasp), and it seems like the Graham cracker addition doesn't add much if any flavour. So we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ibasterd wrote:Hello all. Getting that time of year when I want to start planning a pumpkin beer.
Me too, What was it you did last year IB, a pumpkin Rye?
Ibasterd wrote: As I was looking around and planning a recipe, I came across a "Pumpkin Graham Cracker Ale".
Sounds interesting..... Just throwing this out there - maybe add the crushed Graham Crackers in a sack like dry hopping. Let us know how you end up doing it and how it turns out.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

berryman wrote:Me too, What was it you did last year IB, a pumpkin Rye?
That's right Don. A pumpkin Rye Saison. Definitely unusual, but it grew on me. I could dredge up the recipe if your interested. As I recall, you were happy with your pumpkin ale. I would definitely be interested in your recipe!
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Ibasterd wrote:What? Is it wrong? Is it bad? I actually have done some reading on other forums (gasp), and it seems like the Graham cracker addition doesn't add much if any flavour. So we'll see.

Not so much the graham cracker part, but the pumpkin part. I'm seeing all the pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers out now and I just can't help but think it's too soon!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

philm00x wrote:
Ibasterd wrote:What? Is it wrong? Is it bad? I actually have done some reading on other forums (gasp), and it seems like the Graham cracker addition doesn't add much if any flavour. So we'll see.

Not so much the graham cracker part, but the pumpkin part. I'm seeing all the pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers out now and I just can't help but think it's too soon!
Yes. Too soon (even for me) to drink, but not to brew.

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ibasterd wrote:
philm00x wrote:
Yes. Too soon (even for me) to drink, but not to brew.
Let's get the Halloween/Oktoberfest party started............... and be ready......I'm going to start some pumpkin brew shortly..................
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

berryman wrote:Let's get the Halloween/Oktoberfest party started............... and be ready......I'm going to start some pumpkin brew shortly..................
I'm all in! :jumpy: Although I'm keen to try try this graham cracker pumpkin recipe, I think I'll start with the Oktoberfest Ale first.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Yup it's that time for Pumkin beers. I don't brew on every year but I thought if I brew one this year I might do an Imperial version. The best one I've had has been from Southern Tier I think. But also the idea of a Pumpkin Porter intrigues me.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

MadBrewer wrote:But also the idea of a Pumpkin Porter intrigues me.
This does sound like a great idea. As mentioned above, I made a pumpkin rye last year that was very dark. (http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rye-saison) I like the idea of the dark roastiness and dark fruit paired with pumpkin spice. I'm not sure that an imperial pumpkin is my cup of ale (although I've had plenty). It can be a bit much, too rich for me with the booziness mixed with the spices.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

MadBrewer wrote:Yup it's that time for Pumkin beers. The best one I've had has been from Southern Tier I think.
Pumpking? I like this beer. Southern Tier is my local Brewery just a few miles from me.........
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

berryman wrote:
MadBrewer wrote:Yup it's that time for Pumkin beers. The best one I've had has been from Southern Tier I think.
Pumpking? I like this beer. Southern Tier is my local Brewery just a few miles from me.........

Yeah I think thats it. If I was to brew another Pumpkin Ale it would be geared towards something like that.
Brew Strong My Friends...
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking of the Pumpkin Ale. Sleepy Hollow Pumpkin Ale is what I call mine, graham cracker pumpkin sounds awesome, but like some of you said, I don't think the flavor would come through. Like a lager brewery down here, they do a lager and add candy corn, not much taste.