Second Batch Brewing

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Easy Trotter

Second Batch Brewing

Post by Easy Trotter »

My first batch came out well – not great, but not bad – an American Pale Ale. My friends like it so I'll call it a success, although they would probably do my laundry if it meant free beer. I was wondering how it would turn out after making a few mistakes in the process. So the second brew, a hefeweizen, is now fermenting with the following changes:
1) aerated the wort a little before adding yeast
2) sprinkled the yeast on top instead of pouring in one spot (probably not a big deal)
3) keeping LBK temps cooler (70-72 degrees instead of 76-78) by putting it in a cooler with ice packs
4) not opening the top – although I wonder how big brewers with open vats avoid contamination
5) bubbler added, but there has not been a lot of activity (ok, so I peeked inside and there is a thick layer of "foam". Guessing that means the yeasties are feeding?) Today is day 12.

Giving it a lot of TLC and my wife and kids may be getting jealous. I could come home from work one day to find my baby dashed to pieces on the driveway...

BTW, I sent some feedback to Brew Demon after making my first brew and suggested they make some videos showing the process for their kits and perhaps some tips. They responded that such videos were already under way. Excellent!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Second Batch Brewing

Post by BigPapaG »

Cool Beans!

Sounds like all is going well!

Brew on!

:cool:
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Eggsellent! Keep it going. I also use a cooler with ice packs to control ferment temps. Ironically, the hefeweizen would have been fine at the temps you had going on your first batch, although 70 is great. The slightly warmer temps will bring out more banana depending on the yeast. What yeast come with the kit you are using?
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

The packet only says Dry Brewers Yeast, but I just found on their website that the type of yeast is safbrew S33 from Fermentis, described as a "well rounded yeast that flocculates well at the end of fermentation". And I admit I had to look up flocculate.
Last edited by Easy Trotter on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I tend to be highly flocculent after mexican food. 70º should be just fine.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Good deal Easy Trotter, you are on the right tract. Keep good notes on what you do with each batch. It gets better every time, Yea you might have a not-so-good one sometime but always Know it keeps getting better with practice. Your beer sounds good, but try to ferment maybe at a little cooler temp. but the Hefe would be good at that range...........
:clink: Make'n your own beer is great :clink:
Last edited by berryman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Easy Trotter wrote:My first batch came out well – not great, but not bad – an American Pale Ale. My friends like it so I'll call it a success, although they would probably do my laundry if it meant free beer. I was wondering how it would turn out after making a few mistakes in the process. So the second brew, a hefeweizen, is now fermenting with the following changes:
1) aerated the wort a little before adding yeast
2) sprinkled the yeast on top instead of pouring in one spot (probably not a big deal)
3) keeping LBK temps cooler (70-72 degrees instead of 76-78) by putting it in a cooler with ice packs
4) not opening the top – although I wonder how big brewers with open vats avoid contamination
5) bubbler added, but there has not been a lot of activity (ok, so I peeked inside and there is a thick layer of "foam". Guessing that means the yeasties are feeding?) Today is day 12.

Giving it a lot of TLC and my wife and kids may be getting jealous. I could come home from work one day to find my baby dashed to pieces on the driveway...

BTW, I sent some feedback to Brew Demon after making my first brew and suggested they make some videos showing the process for their kits and perhaps some tips. They responded that such videos were already under way. Excellent!
You really want to keep the temps from as little a swing as you possibly can. I would really refrain from opening the lid just to look. A bubbler is not really gonna have much activity due to the fact that there grooves under the lid of the LBK. That is the path of least resistance. That foam you see is called Krausen. As for aeration you want to get as much oxygen in suspension you can. The yeast needs oxygen at the beginning so the yeast can propagate. You can't aerate enough. The max you can get is 8ppm. An oxygen wand is the best, but a little expensive.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Easy Trotter wrote:...3) keeping LBK temps cooler (70-72 degrees instead of 76-78) by putting it in a cooler with ice packs...
And if you're wondering when to switch out cold packs, it's usually better to be under 70 than over 72.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Good point about that prof
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Whamo, I think he's using the BrewDemon conical. It doesn't have the grooves under the lid like the LBK does. The lid actual seals right and there is a vent hole that comes with a plug that can be replaced by the bubbler.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

Right Louie, it's the Brew Demon 2 gal conical. I just wrote LBK because it was quicker. The bubbler did come with a seal for the lid. Maybe it will show more activity with the next refill kit. The yeasties are definitely chowing down by the look of the krausen (thanks for the word, Whamo).
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Maybe we could call it the LBC little brown conical. I have one and knew that.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Pro-tip:
Leave the lid a little loose at first until hi-K has subsided.
That way ... if fermentation is more vigorous than expected and the notches become clogged ... excess pressure won't build inside the LBK and possible damage the seams over time.

Herb's LBK Fermentation Chamber
One ... 22-oz bottle of frozen water keeps the wort in the mid-60s all day.
LBK sits inside a glass bake pan for easier splooge clean-up.
Painter's tape keeps temperature probe in place beneath bubble-wrap.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I fill the cooler with water to the level of the beer inside the LBK. Helps to minimize temp swings between and during ice swaps. I need to get a proper thermometer like that though.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I heard that works well. I would put a little bleach in there also