Opinion on labeling...

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Easy Trotter

Opinion on labeling...

Post by Easy Trotter »

Do you guys normally put the brew date or bottle date on your bottles, or does it matter?
Figure the best way is to put little round sticky dots on the caps with beer name and date.
Any other tips for labeling?
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Opinion on labeling...

Post by The_Professor »

I like to put the ABV on the label if it is higher than normal and I am handing them out.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

http://beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=225

Brew date, bottle date, 4 week, 8 week, 12 week. ABV, calories, SRM, IBU, cost per 12 pack, ingredients, description, and blank space for date refrigerated (to rotate new stock). All info is in Excel, a Mailmerge with Word creates the label.
beer label.JPG
beer label.JPG (60.8 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Last edited by RickBeer on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I label my boxes at first, not the individual bottles.

Then when I need to get a box empty, I find boxes with only a few bottles, and then stick a sticky dot on top and mark it.

That way I can be lazy and only label bottles I really need to.

Sometimes if I am mixing say a stout and a light beer in a box to get back a box, I will just put 2 labels on the box. It's obvious what is what.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I do the same as mashani. I put a sticky on the box with the beer type and date. When I first started, I used to make nice lables with a logo and name. Then I found out what a PITA is was to wash / remove the fancy labels.

On a side note, I have a few 2.5 gal kegs and mixed 2 up a while ago. After they carbed, I figured out which was which.
Thirsting For Knowledge
Beer Warrior

Post by Beer Warrior »

I would add the bottling date, that way you know when it was carbed. Assuming you don't leave the beer in the fermenter for too long, you will know your best by date.
Twitter username is @MusicCityBrews
Facebook page is http://www.Facebook.com/MusicCityBrewSupply
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Easy Trotter wrote:Do you guys normally put the brew date or bottle date on your bottles, or does it matter?
Figure the best way is to put little round sticky dots on the caps with beer name and date.
Any other tips for labeling?
I put the bottle date on it. Although that was mostly important when I didn't have a large pipeline, and didn't want to drink any to early.

I also just use the little Avery round stickers on the cap. It has just enough room if I twiddle with the font to fit the name of the brew, bottle date, and the ABV and calorie count. I started adding those last 2 just for fun, since I was looking it up on Screwy's calculator anyway.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

There is a rumor on this forum that I go slightly overboard on labeling. I usually include; ABV, IBUs, hops, grains, bottling date etc. I think as mentioned above, the most important would be bottling date to gauge carb level and conditioning time. Probably ABV as well so you don't go on a bender.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I just put my beer code (SB = Saison Brett, ESB and so on) and the date bottled using a sharpie.

I tell people when I give them beers to enjoy. I need the cap info if you would like to know more about the beer after you drink it. They always come back saying "I really like that dark beer you gave me". I gave you a Porter, Stout and a Black IPA, What was on the CAP!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

@Ibasterd, If I had your mad labeling skills I'd go overboard too! Love your labels.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Here is a pic that I stole from a thread that blackduck posted on. I think this should cover the necessities.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425159214.716482.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425159214.716482.jpg (222.54 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

Name of beer, brew date & OG, bottling date & FG, ABV, IBU, and an interesting photo consistent with something about the beer (sometimes a photo that I took, sometimes from Internet). My avatar is the photo for "California Steamer", California Common / Steam Beer -- the photo being historical of the SS Tahoe.
Easy Trotter

Post by Easy Trotter »

Great info. Thanks all!
I picked up some dots and am using a different color for each batch so I can tell at a glance which is which. Since my kits only yield 22 12-oz. bottles, I am storing them together. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to mark them.

Also, I created an Excel spreadsheet to take notes and track my brews: brew and bottle lengths and dates, yeast, IBU, SRM, ABV, brewing notes, and tasting review. But, using the Brew Demon kits, I don't have all the ingredients. I contacted them and asked them to list the hops for each kit and they said they kicked my request upstairs, so hopefully we'll get to see those (unless it's a secret recipe).
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

If you use PET bottles this won't help but BB2 and I use glass and I only mark the caps on bottles that are trubie ( hey look I made a new beer word :p ). We will refridgerate those first for taste testing the batch.

We put different colored caps on each batch and then put all the particulars in the notes on the computer; that way I don't have to write the info for every bottle.
Pipeline with Caps.JPG
Pipeline with Caps.JPG (56.5 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
When I go to the beer closet I can tell which beer is which by what color cap is on what style of bottle. For example a black cap on a Sierra Nevada bottle could be our Imperial Stout and a black cap on a long neck our ESB.

We do label bottles we are giving/sending someone though.

It really depends on what information you think is important to see but you would definitely want all that info in your recipe notes in case you want to re-brew and make changes.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

@Easy Trotter - I don't know if you're using any software like BeerSmith or something else but you might want to check out qBrew on ScrewyBrewer's site. It's an old program so it's free but Screwy has been maintaining the database to include the BrewDemon and Mr. Beer Extracts. This might help you fill in some of the gaps you're looking for.

It looks like the last database update was in Nov 2014 so it should be pretty close to being up to date.

Also if you use Google Drive at all there is a Template Galleryavailable. If you search for Home Brew, or Brewing, or Beer there are a lot of "Brew log" templates freely available to download and use. There are also some brewing calulators there but alway use Screwy's instead of any of these.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged