Carbonation drops

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Poppajim

Carbonation drops

Post by Poppajim »

I 've made four batches so far. The first three I used either coopers or the one that comes with the mr beer kits. The last one, a cherry wheat, I changed to Muntons carb drops. I'm used to about 2-3 weeks for full carbonation. I haven't developed the patience I need so I chilled one bottle and tried it after two weeks and it is nearly flat. Does anyone know if these drops take longer? I hope that is the only problem with the beer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Carbonation drops

Post by RickBeer »

Read the package. All carb drops may not be the same size.

And develop patience...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

First off Welcome to The Borg
Poppajim wrote:I 've made four batches so far. The first three I used either coopers or the one that comes with the mr beer kits.
Not really sure what comes in the MB kits anymore and haven't bought one in awhile, But I just use to use table sugar and bottle primed like I'm assuming what you are doing too. Never tried the carb drops, but would guess many others on here have and can give you a better answer on that. But what I can say, I have seen some batches carbed up in a week and have had some that's taken over 3-4 weeks. A lot depends on the brew and temps you are carbing at.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Bottled in glass or PET?
Crimped caps or re-useable?
How many tabs were added to each bottle and what is the size of the bottle?
How much head-space?

---
You can try rousing the yeast by gently inverting the bottles two or three times for several days ... move them to a warmer location (low-to-mid70s) ... then try another one in a week.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Poppajim wrote:I 've made four batches so far. The first three I used either coopers or the one that comes with the mr beer kits. The last one, a cherry wheat, I changed to Muntons carb drops. I'm used to about 2-3 weeks for full carbonation. I haven't developed the patience I need so I chilled one bottle and tried it after two weeks and it is nearly flat. Does anyone know if these drops take longer? I hope that is the only problem with the beer.
What temp did you carb at. I have found that large temp swings can affect carb levels. I have only used the coopers carb drops and I feel they are a little light on carbonation. You might want to think about batch priming. You will get a more even carb level through your whole batch.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome Jim! Keep us posted on what you decide.
We all have brew setbacks, then there are the ones that make it all worthwhile.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've never used carbonation drops, so I did some googling.

The coopers drops say to use 1 for a 12 ounce bottle, and muntons say to use 3-5.

How many did you use?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've heard folks say (well type in reviews) that the Muntons drops take a while to break down and work compared to others, to the point where some folks who tried bottles early complained of floaties.

My suggestion if you want to bottle prime and you can find them is to find 2.5 gram Dominos Dots sugar cubes. (look in sugar isle in grocery store). The right size comes in boxes of 198 cubes. 1 cube is good for 12oz in most styles of beer. And they cost a lot less then Coopers or Muntons tabs. Amazon sells them too. Just make sure it's the 198 cube box. They dissolve easily.
Poppajim

Post by Poppajim »

This batch was the first time using glass and using the carb drops. They were 12 oz with 4 drops and about 1 to 1-1/2 in headspace. Ferment and carb temp was a constant 68. I'm going to let them sit for another 2 weeks. Thanks everyone.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I think time would be your best ally here.

At the same time, I'm a big advocate of batch priming (although, to be fair, and in the interest of full disclosure, I've always been a batch primer, from Day One). The advantage is more consistent carbonation throughout the batch, and while there's a little more clean-up involved, I don't think it takes that much more time overall than bottle priming, and you've got washing up to do anyway.

But that falls into the category of Brewer's Choice, so by all means, do what suits you.

But give this batch time, and I think you'll be okay.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Poppajim wrote:This batch was the first time using glass and using the carb drops. They were 12 oz with 4 drops and about 1 to 1-1/2 in headspace. Ferment and carb temp was a constant 68. I'm going to let them sit for another 2 weeks. Thanks everyone.
Sounds about right.
Here's hoping all ends well.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

FedoraDave wrote:I think time would be your best ally here.

At the same time, I'm a big advocate of batch priming (although, to be fair, and in the interest of full disclosure, I've always been a batch primer, from Day One). The advantage is more consistent carbonation throughout the batch, and while there's a little more clean-up involved, I don't think it takes that much more time overall than bottle priming, and you've got washing up to do anyway.

But that falls into the category of Brewer's Choice, so by all means, do what suits you.

But give this batch time, and I think you'll be okay.
Say no more say no more. Batch priming is the way to go.
Poppajim

Post by Poppajim »

Reporting back on the outcome of carbonation problem. Did not see anymore floaters on 9/10/15 so I chilled one bottle and tried. Success! What a great sound that is. Carbonated perfectly. Not much cherry taste. But that's a topic for another time. Thanks everyone.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Patience wins again
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Patience, the secret ingredient in homebrewing. Many never learn that, others question it over and over and over and over and over.... :idea:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)