Hippity Hoppity Pale

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

gwcr

Re: Hippity Hoppity Pale

Post by gwcr »

Definitely going to agree with Inkleg, as I was also very fortunate to get a sample of this one. Fantastic hop aroma, and great head that stuck around for the entire (short) time that it was in the glass. Maybe a tad high on the carb, but I also poured a bit aggressively. I didn't get any real bitterness bite up front (which is good for me), but the hop flavor was fantastic and not overpowering at all. Very well balanced, and extremely easy to drink. You have a winner here Paul!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks Glen, I felt it was a bit dry but it has gotten better. I thought it was due to the mixing of yeast but I wanted it to have a bit more English flavor with aroma and I'm not sure I got that.
I'm not sure why it is carbed so much since I bottled from the keg and haven't changed any settings on my tank.....still set at 11. I wonder if shipping in the heat could, in some odd way, cause yeast to start up again.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

All this talk about how good this beer is....I thought I would try mine. They are right, it is a good beer. Like the others have said, great hop aroma and flavor. I'm a little familiar with the Huell Melon but not the Azacca. Is the flavor and aroma I'm getting kind of like grapes? Tasty beer for sure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442877482.627392.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442877482.627392.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Can't say I've gotten grapes from it but I know I don't like it very cold and enjoy it more after it's set a bit. Never having Azacca, I wasn't sure what to expect but I think the hops played somewhat well together.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I must have a crappy palette.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Or maybe mine has been ruined by too much hoppage.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Welcome to the club.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The Saison I used Azacca in didn't taste like grapes. I think of Nelson tasting like grapes. (the Nelson Face Punch is very grapey).

The Azacca tastes like some sort of mix of C hops with a little bit of simcoe. Citrusy and Piney mostly. I think Azacca would make a good single hopped pale ale. Or mixed with Amarillo.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Poured this tonight to go with my pulled pork.

It pours copper colored with an aggressive carb level. The carb isn't too high, just more than your usual beers Paul so I'm guessing it's in the 2.6 or 2.7 range.

It's crystal clear and pretty to look at for sure.

The aroma is strong, reminiscent of biscuit or toffee a bit when it was first poured. With a bit of a swirl of the glass to break through the nice thick head, the hops pop through a bit. I'm going to let it sit for a few before going back after this first sip. At first sip this is definitely a pale ale to my palette = balanced between malt and hops. I can;t quite put my finger on the hop flavor....it's not dank nor spicy. Not really earthy so I guess I'll go with slightly fruity.

I went back and read a few posts...I think the initial aroma I was getting was likely the English yeast. Now that I read that I bet that's what it was for sure.

10 minutes later....

The aroma is much "hoppier" now with some type of fruit taking the forefront. Still can't put my finger on exactly what it is but it is pleasant and light. The taste definitely has that late-hop profile where you get flavor without harshness and it makes this a very easy drinker. I can see where it was described as a bit dry, too. The finish has an "English finish" if that makes sense.

Overall, it's very good. It's a flavorful pale ale that would be session-able given the ease with which I drank it.

You should be happy with this, I sure was!

~Mahalo Nui Loa!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks, you pretty much described it well. It's not as dry to me now as it ages but it's very likely the mix of 001 and 007.
As for carb, I've done nothing different and bottled with the beer gun so I don't think it could have added more carb.
How'd it go with the pulled pork? Save me some as I'm running late getting there.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@BlackDuck, I just happened to glance at the recipe for this. I bet the grape like fruit you are tasting/smelling is a blend of the special B (raisin/plum like flavors) and the yeast esters and the Huell Melon hops all having a little party in your mouth.

This recipe sounds delicious to me.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I used just a bit of Special B so it wouldn't get too raisiny as that has happened to me when using too much in lighter beers.
There's lots of things about this recipe that I've never tried before especially the hops so I knew not what to expect. Add in the yeast mix and even more of the unknown for me.
That's the fun of brewing your own recipe.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I think it just goes to show that Pale Ales are beers, too!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Drinking one of these. I like it a lot. The only thing that was weirding me out at first was the berry like/fruity/candy aroma and some of that in the flavor. (I'm guessing this is what some folks perceived as the grape, and I can see where that comes from as such flavor/aroma does exist in some wine making grape varieties) At first I though "Oh God there is El-Dorado in this" (and I kind of don't really want to ever use them again). But there isn't. So I'm guessing it's the Huel Mellon hops. Because I've used all the others and never got that flavor/aroma.

That said, now that I'm over the initial shock of that, and as it warmed up a tad, I've decided that I like that hop flavor/aroma much more then the El-Dorado. This beer is delicious. The El-Dorado has a baby aspirin like thing that this hop doesn't have. The lack of this is good and makes me like this hop now that I'm over the initial "whah?". I tend to like more piney/earthy/spicy/citrusy hops more then intensely fruity ones, but this is a nice blend. The fruity taste does seem a bit "artificial" to me (for lack of a better word) but it doesn't bug me like the El-Dorado does. I think what I'm describing as "artificial" is what bugs me about many fruity hops. But in this beer it's not bothering me. I just had to get over it (where I don't think I could ever get over it with the El-Dorado).

It doesn't seem to dry to me, but most of what I've been drinking for the last six months are Belgians and Saisons vs. pale ales and such. So dry to me seems "normal".

I like the malty/bready/biscuit vibe from the Maris Otter and the Munich. I don't perceive the Special B as Special B (strong plum/raisin). This is a good thing not a bad thing. It's just a nice background flavor that makes this seem almost authentically "English", except for the hops. C-120 would be really good in this beer too.

To me that mix is a perfect foil for the hops. I actually prefer that kind of more malty vibe in my pales and IPAs then a stronger light crystal sweet note. But that comes again from my Belgian brewing tendencies and ties back into why I don't perceive this as too dry. Malty is not the same as crystal sweet. This beer is a good example of it. The amount of honey malt you used is just enough to enhance that maltyness, but not seem sweet.

So. In a nutshell. YUM. Thank you for sending me this.

EDIT: I think this malt mix would make a good base for an all late hop carpet bombed Session IPA. Just sayin. (this actually is a sort of a session IPA I think really, but that's not a bad thing).

EDIT EDIT: The more it warms up the less "artificial" the fruity flavor/aroma seems, so that's a good thing too. (I wish I had a better word for artificial but I don't know what else to call it... this is not meant as anything bad, it's just how I perceive lots of fruity hops).
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Again, thanks much for your perspective! I do like this alot. Had a friend in from New Zealand (he brews too) and he went mini-nuts after trying this beer and wants the recipe. Not great but I think, very good and I too enjoy it very much. While it's just under 6%, not sessionable, it does have some qualities of some sessions. Perhaps on the Pale Ale/IPA border with its hoppage.

I really whipped this up quickly trying to find something that I thought might let me taste the Gleneagle malt and kept the honey malt low as I've used it a few times before and it was too much. Seriously, I put the Sp. B in for color but jumped it up to 8 oz because that's all I had left and wanted to use it. When I do this again, I may leave it out completely or use 3 oz as I originally planned.
Once again, I used hops that I've never used again and didn't know what to expect. I got Huel Melon because BlackDuck had it in his Fruit Salad and I thought it would help the nose and I think it did.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black