The best aroma I have ever smelled on an IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

To date I have to say this is the best IPA I have ever tasted.
http://www.examiner.com/review/oskar-bl ... h-the-hops
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The best aroma I have ever smelled on an IPA

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Ummmm.... :blink: :whistle:

You said
The article mentions
(With cannabis and hops existing within the same botanical family, many find Pinner's aroma reminiscent of certain recreational indulgences.)
The thing you learn about people! :lol:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Louie,

I had almost that exact same response typed up the other day but my tablet must have eaten it instead of posting it!

These Australian hops are certainly getting some attention lately. I had a SMaSH a few weeks back that used Ella hops but I wasn't "wowed" by it.
I won't hold that against it, though. It was the first beer I had with them and it was from a brewery that I'd never tried before. I do recall it smelling really good, though.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

LouieMacGoo wrote:Ummmm.... :blink: :whistle:

You said
The article mentions
(With cannabis and hops existing within the same botanical family, many find Pinner's aroma reminiscent of certain recreational indulgences.)
The thing you learn about people! :lol:
I have had the pinner also. That is a really good IPA as well. But I didn't find the aroma similar to the smell of marijuana at all, not that I would know what that smells like ;)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'll see if I can find this locally. I've actually never tried the Dale's Pale Ale either but I hear great things about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I bought both a six of Pinner and Dale's Pale Ale recently. It left me scratching my head with a 6.5% APA in one hand and a 4.9% IPA in the other. I get it, but it still seems wrong on some level.

Anyway, a very average session IPA in my opinion. Not bad. Not great. Not buying again. Dale's Pale Ale is right beside it in the cooler and a tastier brew.

As a side note, session beers should have session prices. Pinner was almost $12 a six while the APA was $8. Go figure.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Pudge wrote:I bought both a six of Pinner and Dale's Pale Ale recently. It left me scratching my head with a 6.5% APA in one hand and a 4.9% IPA in the other. I get it, but it still seems wrong on some level.

Anyway, a very average session IPA in my opinion. Not bad. Not great. Not buying again. Dale's Pale Ale is right beside it in the cooler and a tastier brew.

As a side note, session beers should have session prices. Pinner was almost $12 a six while the APA was $8. Go figure.
The original post was not about pinner. It was about the new IPA that Oscar Blues just released. It is really incredible and makes both Pinner and Dales seem bland.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Kealia wrote:I'll see if I can find this locally. I've actually never tried the Dale's Pale Ale either but I hear great things about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just keep in mind, my original post was not about Pinner. it was about the new Oscar Blues IPA. It comes in a blue can. It is not Dales Pale ale which comes in a red and blue can.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Understood. It just reminded me that I haven't tried Dale's yet, either. If I see the IPA show up I definitely be trying one of those, too.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Pudge wrote:I bought both a six of Pinner and Dale's Pale Ale recently. It left me scratching my head with a 6.5% APA in one hand and a 4.9% IPA in the other. I get it, but it still seems wrong on some level.
And this is just ironic and weird when you think about it. Especially the ABV part! :huh:
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

DOH!

I posted too early and without enough coffee. For some reason, I was thinking Pinner.