Batch Priming?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Batch Priming?

Post by pocketjr »

Alright, it's time to bottle my brew. However, I specifically fermented in my new brew pail so that I could batch prime into my Coopers pail. Problem is, I have no idea how to batch prime.

Anybody have any instruction? Advice? Ideas?

Oh and it's 23litres, in case that helps
Lenwoode & Merle
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Batch Priming?

Post by LouieMacGoo »

What I usually do first is go use the ScrewyBrewer Bottle Prime Calculator and figure out what level of carbination I want for the type of beer I have. then I take that sugar and add it to about 8 to 12 oz of water and boil it for about 8 minutes, let it cool. Once cooled I pour it into the bottling bucket then rack the beer into the bucket making sure to gently swirl the beer to properly mix the priming sugar with the beer. Once all the beer is racked I start bottling with a bottling wand.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

It's really not a difficult procedure, and it helps keep your beers evenly carbonated instead of some having too much, some having too little, and/or some not at all. Like Lou said, once you boil your sugar/water solution, let it cool down, then transfer your beer into your bottling bucket and pour your solution in. Blend it well so the sugar is evenly distributed, taking care not to aerate the beer so that you don't oxidize it and get off flavors.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Just like that. I always put a lid on after the gentle stir
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

The instructions (above) are solid. Definitely figure out how much sugar you need via a calculator. And then relax, it is super easy. Once you've done it you'll wonder why you even worried about it. :)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

The advice given is solid, and it's up to you to develop your own procedure. Here's what I do:

I use http://www.yeastcalc.co/homebrew-calculators. It works the same way Screwy's calculator does. It's all good. I keep two plastic bottles half-filled with ice lying on their sides in my freezer at all times, specifically for bottling day. I fill them with water first, to get some chilled water going (having the ice all up one side of the bottles increases the surface area contact and chills the water faster). Then I measure my sugar and start boiling two cups of water. I let the water boil for ten minutes, then add the sugar and boil for five more minutes. While the water is boiling, I'm washing my bottles.

When the priming solution has finished boiling, I pour the cold water from one of the bottles into a small skillet and set the pot with the sugar water in it to cool faster. Then I begin sanitizing my bottling bucket and my bottles. I start racking the beer into the bucket, and usually I need to change out the water in the skillet to keep the solution chilling. After about half the beer is racked, the solution is usually at a good temperature, so I pour it into a sanitized Pyrex measuring cup and pour it into the beer as it's still being racked. After all the beer is racked, I gently stir it with a large sanitized spoon, and I'm ready to bottle.

Seems involved, but I've got it timed to where it goes like clockwork, and it's really very easy. You'll find out what method works best for you.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I do it simpler. Cup of water, heat to boiling WHILE stirring sugar to dissolve. Boil a minute or so (longer is unnecessary), remove from heat and cover with lid (sprayed with sanitizer). Put little pot into bigger pot with ice and water to cool.

Sanitize bottles. Wipe water off pot bottom, pour into slimline, start beer transfer via hose. Gently stir when half and totally full then after every 8 bottles or so.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I just put the water and sugar in a measuring cup and microwave for 5 minutes. As soon as it beeps done, I pull it out and swirl until the sugar dissolves. Set it in Ice for a few minutes, dry off bottom, pour in bottling bucket, fill with beer. Gently stir, bottle. Or switch to kegging. :)
pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by pocketjr »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Lenwoode & Merle
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

They've got you covered. I do what Rick does and only boil for a minute or so. For the record, I also dumped the syrup into the bottling bucket before I racked the beer. This mixed it enough without a need to stir.

Oh, and step one is to pour yourself a pint. It's pretty easy.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Be careful putting hot sugar into plastic before racking a little beer. That will warp thin plastic.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

All good advice above. I was skeptical on batch priming once, but now I know it's the only way to do it and it's easy and good results. I have a friend that just started out with MB and he likes to come up and have me help him brew and we do bottle prime his but I wont do mine that way anymore and haven't for a long time...
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

MrBandGuy wrote: I do what Rick does and only boil for a minute or so. For the record, I also dumped the syrup into the bottling bucket before I racked the beer. This mixed it enough without a need to sti
I use close to 2 cups water and boil for about 7 mins or so. Why? IDK, but what the directions said the first time I did it and it works and that's what I always do. Cover and let it cool down for awhile. Drink a few beers at this time, and then I put the primer in the bucket after it has cooled down and I do gently mix as it is going in the bucket, I think that is a good thing, might get some air but really don't see how that will matter unless it was stired up too much. I have evenly carbed beer in about 2 weeks or less, I do secondary most of my beers for a good spell and that's why one reason they are ready to drink maybe a little sooner,,,,,
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison