Zesty lemon Saison

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Zesty lemon Saison

Post by Kealia »

So how warm are we talking? I'll likely crack this over the weekend. Pour and let sit for 15 minutes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I pour, take a sip cold, make a face and let it sit 5ish minutes before I take another one and after about 10 minutes or so, my face motions start to happen less.
Look, I have no ego about my beers so hit me with the good and the bad. I likely won't brew another saison until this time next year but let me know what you like and didn't like.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yea...I would say 15 minutes or so and you'll start to notice the change.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

15 was about right for me too. I'm another who isn't really a fan of the style, so I can't really give a review of its saisoniness. I did find it very drinkable and enjoyable after it warmed, but the Hippity Hop Amber beats this one by leaps and bounds... :p
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

gwcr wrote:15 was about right for me too. I'm another who isn't really a fan of the style, so I can't really give a review of its saisoniness. I did find it very drinkable and enjoyable after it warmed, but the Hippity Hop Amber beats this one by leaps and bounds... :p
I agree. I likely won't ever warm up to saisons, ever well brewed ones. I won't hate them, just won't drink or brew a lot as they are just not my thing. The reason I brew so many IPA's and Pales is that I can brew some good one's but I just love them. Ok, stouts and porters too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Send your unwanted saisons to me for proper disposal.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

OK, cut the lawn (still 86 degrees today too!) and poured me a glass. Not knowing at all what Sorachi Ace is like, I wonder if that could be what I'm finding I'm not so crazy about. Maybe using more lemon zest and another type of hop would have been a better idea and let the yeast do what it does. Who knows. Mashani will give his opinion when he receives one to try. I defer to those who enjoy these things to give their opinions.
In the meantime, this really isn't as bad as I make it out to be. Plus, sister in law loves it. Bonus points!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Pick up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery "A Sorachi Ace". It is a bone dry nothing but Sorachi in the flavor/aroma saison. That will give you a really good idea of what Sorachi can bring to a beer. They used a yeast like French Saison (Bella is same). Peppery, slightly citrus. Not big bubblegum like Dupont.

But the vast majority of the Sorachi in that beer is dry hop IMHO (even the perceived flavor comes from the dry hop), with a little bit used for bittering. The equivalent of somewhere between 4-5, maybe even 6 oz of it in a 5 gallon batch I believe. Sorachi tastes very different as a traditional flavoring addition or even as a traditional aroma additon then a dry hop. As a dry hop it's "lemongrass" like, more "zesty". As a flavoring addition it can actually taste kind of like lemon butter (or some kind of creamy thing). Some people are put off by that.

That's why I suggested a really big dry hop originally somewhere above.

Anytime I use Sorachi to finish a beer again it will all be just hop stand or dry hop. It's just so much better that way to my tastes.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Like Glenn said, " I'm another who isn't really a fan of the style, so I can't really give a review of its saisoniness."

When it was cold I took a sip for comparison-sake. I found it to be very lemony and almost acidic. Heavy on the horse blanket/earthiness.
15 minutes later the lemon had subsided a bit and the beer was much more balanced but still left a dry, acidic taste on my tongue, although I found the initial flavor much smoother.

Definitely not my style of beer but an enjoyable venture outside my normal zone. I had a few sips and then had my wife tasted it and she liked it. I think it's because she drinks wine and it had a lot in common with wine IMO.

Thank Paul.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Pretty much how I feel. Prolly won't brew another one and maybe should have kept it simpler for my first saison. I have too much left and so far, only my sister in law seems to like it but she married RedBEERd so that may say something?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote:Pretty much how I feel. Prolly won't brew another one and maybe should have kept it simpler for my first saison. I have too much left and so far, only my sister in law seems to like it but she married RedBEERd so that may say something?
:rofl:
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Maybe you just accidentally made a good base for a Shanty? A little lemonade, a hot day.... :fedora: wouldn't want you to pitch it. :)
Sibling Brewers
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I don't have much left in the keg and won't pitch any.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hmm, maybe a splash of Jack Daniels.....?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Or mix it with lemonade and tea and call it Palmer Saison.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black