The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

astrobeerman

Re: The No Post Post

Post by astrobeerman »

Been a while.....
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

pocketjr wrote:I asked SWMBO to pick up a lotto ticket last night while I was at work.
She didn't get a chance.
Winning ticket (60mil) sold in our town……… :blink:
Yeah, but that's Canadian dollars, so it's no as much... :whistle:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by pocketjr »

RickBeer wrote:
pocketjr wrote:I asked SWMBO to pick up a lotto ticket last night while I was at work.
She didn't get a chance.
Winning ticket (60mil) sold in our town……… :blink:
Yeah, but that's Canadian dollars, so it's no as much... :whistle:
Chuck N wrote: $60 mil. Canadian? That's only, like $45 mil U.S. How could anyone expect to live off that?

Sure, but our lottery winnings aren't taxed either. You get the entire lump sum in one payment and the government doesn't blink an eye or hold out a hand.
Lenwoode & Merle
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

My Blichmann Beer Gun and accessory kit arrived today....quite the contraption!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well, I agree but a few strokes on the keyboard to youtube and you'll see more clearly.
I do take consultations but it's gonna cost you.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

BlackDuck wrote:My Blichmann Beer Gun and accessory kit arrived today....quite the contraption!!
Have not used mine all too much, but when I have used it I love it!
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

BOOM!!!!

Got the job offer today! I figured I would be a nice guy and go to my current employer with this information to see if they would like to counteroffer in the slightest. That was worthless! I tell you, there is no such thing as company loyalty anymore. I basically got the response of, well, it was nice to have you here. Good luck! NOTHING! How about an offer of a slight raise! The idea of a counter offer was to tell me that there is a lot of opportunity to move up with them so I should stay for that........ um....... NO! As much as I like opportunity to be promoted I will take my chances for that with a company 50x the size of my current one and a heft increase in pay.

Oh well! Talked to another coworker of mine today about the opportunity and his sister works for the company I will be going to and she loves it there. Needless to say...... I will be taking my talents to Nationwide! My boy Peyton has already reached out to me to welcome me to the team.

Can't wait to start the next chapter! And the first paycheck :)
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good luck with the new job. Since they are headquartered here in Columbus, if you ever have to come here for training, let me know. Would love to meet up.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Nice! Will keep that in mind. I know I will be in Richmond for a few weeks also for some initial training. Not sure where else though. I'll post when I know more.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by pocketjr »

D_Rabbit wrote:BOOM!!!!

Got the job offer today! I figured I would be a nice guy and go to my current employer with this information to see if they would like to counteroffer in the slightest. That was worthless! I tell you, there is no such thing as company loyalty anymore. I basically got the response of, well, it was nice to have you here. Good luck! NOTHING! How about an offer of a slight raise! The idea of a counter offer was to tell me that there is a lot of opportunity to move up with them so I should stay for that........ um....... NO! As much as I like opportunity to be promoted I will take my chances for that with a company 50x the size of my current one and a heft increase in pay.

Oh well! Talked to another coworker of mine today about the opportunity and his sister works for the company I will be going to and she loves it there. Needless to say...... I will be taking my talents to Nationwide! My boy Peyton has already reached out to me to welcome me to the team.

AWESOME NEWS! Congrats D! :clink: :cheers:
Lenwoode & Merle
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

D_RABBIT IS IN THE HOUSE

Well almost but the best is yet to come.

:urock: :urock: :urock: :urock: :urock: :urock:
Sibling Brewers
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Good luck in your new adventure Dan. If you do end up in the Columbus area or anywhere between Columbus and the Cleveland area let me know too, only about 2.5 hours from Chris and there is a Brew Pub somewhat nearby in Delaware, Oh that a friends daughter owns that I had planned on visiting and making a weekend of, Staas Brewing.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Way to go Rabbit!

Best of Luck!

:cool:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

D_Rabbit wrote:BOOM!!!!

Congrats on the new job, hope it is rewarding for you.

I do have to comment on what you said, and please take this as observational, not critical. I've hired lots of people over the years, and I see this every now and then. It's an interesting perspective, and 180 degrees from mine. Doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right, or you're right and I'm wrong, it's just a different perspective.

You went to your current employer and told them you were leaving for a job with a competitor, then questioned company loyalty? From my perspective, as someone that's worked in a few companies and hired many people, you have it backwards. When you interviewed with a competitor, you were the one not displaying loyalty (your term, not mine, I never use that term). There is nothing wrong with going to your employer, at the right time (say during a performance review) and discussing your worth to the company, and bringing up that you think you might be worth more than you're being compensated for. But, once you open the door to leaving by interviewing and receiving a competitor's job offer, you've demonstrated to your employer that you aren't loyal to them (again, your term, not mine).

I would be the first to say that the concept of loyalty to a company is a concept that went away long ago, as well as loyalty to employees. But saying that they should be loyal to you when you've already received a job offer from a competitor is backwards.

I have a personal policy that if an employee comes to me in the scenario that you described, they leave immediately. I probably would have been quicker and "colder" than the treatment you got - i.e. there's the door, go out it now, as in you have 5 minutes to clean out your desk while security or HR watches you do it. To me, that's a line that once crossed is done. I've seen people convinced to stay just leave in the future anyway.

As an employer and manager of people, my responsibility is to keep my employees happy, motivated, excited about the company and their careers. If someone interviews and receives an offer from a competitor, I've failed. If I've failed then I need to figure out why, and adjust if necessary. But the employee goes.

One other observation. You posted that in Jan 2013 you changed jobs/company. Then in April 2014 (approx), then in September 2015 (I assume you started looking sooner). Again, as an employer, I'd see that on your resume' and it would raise flags in my mind - why is he changing jobs so often? Is it chasing money? Is money his only motivator? I realize, because you posted it, that one of the changes was due to your wife getting a new job and you having to move. That's fine. But this current job lasted less than 1 1/2 years. And you grew dissatisfied (or were approached and agreed to pursue a new job) in less than that time. Why? What was missing in your current job? Money? You're missing the bigger picture. Money is a PIECE of the equation. Quality of life, opportunity to be challenged in the job, and be promoted for more responsibility, co-workers, managers, etc. I once took a job that paid a LOWER salary than I was making prior to get some of that.

Years ago I switched jobs for a bigger salary (and a move). I didn't look into the company culture at all. Big mistake. Owners treated employees like dirt. Senior team was awful, some incompetent. Within a few months I was not real happy. Within a year I was ready to leave, and interviewing. There was someone in the company that saw I was unhappy, and saw why. I didn't get the job, and went to work the morning after learning that. There was a special meeting called, at which they told us that my bosses boss had left. I was elated, as his style and quality of management were a big factor in my unhappiness. Later that week, that someone called me into their office and told me I was being given a new role, bridging two areas in the company that didn't get along, with the charter to fix that. 3 months later, the company reorganized exactly in the manner my area was structured. At the same time, the exec (who had been made President) called me in and said "I (not we) want you to stay. I know you haven't yet bought a house, so here's what I'm willing to do for you". I hadn't ASKED for anything. He wrote a number down on a piece of paper and said "buy a house and this is yours". I bought a house within 30 days and stayed for 3 more years until he left and everyone tied to him was let go including me. He had LOYALTY to me. I had LOYALTY to him. Neither of us had loyalty to the owners who treated people like dirt and ultimately drove the company into a worthless entity that was sold for nearly zero.

I've changed jobs more than you have. Nothing wrong with changing jobs. But saying the company should woo you to keep you after you've shown you are ready to leave? That's backwards from my perspective.

I hope this new role gives you what you're looking for in the long term from a position, and fills more than the money void. And again, great success in it.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Big pat on the back Dan.
I can only say, as a teeny-tiny business owner, do what's best for you and your family and to hell with the company. Businesses only want to make a profit and no longer care about family values or happiness (ok, some do but a very small minority) so keep looking for the best thing for your fit and don't ever, ever look back!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black