First freeze of the season

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

First freeze of the season

Post by Brewbirds »

OMG it is already snowing somewhere. It froze here overnight. :o I guess we're going to get stuck in Roanoke for another winter. :(

Well winter gave me lemons so I made lemonade... well an impromptu batch of chili anyway.
Impromptu Chili.JPG
Impromptu Chili.JPG (70.76 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Impromptu Chili to simmer.JPG
Impromptu Chili to simmer.JPG (69.03 KiB) Viewed 514 times
I used some canned beans I keep for unexpected power outages, stoked up a can each of beef and chicken broth by simmering some pork rib bones and vegie skins & peels. Strain the broth in a fine colander add meat from the bones, 2 cans diced tomato, sauteed garlic and onions and seasoned with some fresh ground pepper corn, cumin, coriander, mustard and caraway seeds.

I simmered some dried Morita, Guajillo and Chipolte peppers until soft, then seeded and pureed them into paste.
Chile Paste.JPG
Chile Paste.JPG (85.9 KiB) Viewed 514 times
I add the chile paste a little at a time to the simmering pot so I can get the flavor and heat right.

Pretty quick and easy it will simmer through the first game and should be ready by the start of the second.
Sibling Brewers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: First freeze of the season

Post by mashani »

I like to put some chocolate in my chili. You should try it sometime if you have not.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

mashani wrote:I like to put some chocolate in my chili. You should try it sometime if you have not.
I'm a big fan of mole pueblo/poblano/negro as long as the chocolate isn't over the top (ala a gringo made it :p ) alas BB2 is not so I don't add Mexican chocolate to many recipes.

I do have a beef tongue in the freezer and plan to do mole de lengue, with the chocolate as soon as I can find the box of my cast iron cookware. :unsure:

Here's the chili after its been cooking for a while, I promise it smells as good as it looks and you can't tell it wasn't from scratch.
Impromptu Chili simmered down.JPG
Impromptu Chili simmered down.JPG (82.23 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Sibling Brewers
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! That looks tasty!!!!!!!!!!!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@BB, yeah, this Gringo doesn't go over the top with it in the Chili. You really don't taste it as "chocolate" at all when I do it. It's just something extra in the background.
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

BB I always thought the Star City was a beautiful area. Wish I was back up in the area. Only problem is that it is a Commonwealth.