WLP200 Best of both worlds

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

WLP200 Best of both worlds

Post by Beer-lord »

This has been out a while and I know of no one that used it, I guess since it appears that only MoreBeer sells it. I've seen a few posts on HBT about it but nothing that I can find from someone who brewed a few batches with it. It looks interesting. I thought I posted about this previously but could find nothing. Now that it's getting cooler, I feel better about shipping yeast but since they are in Cali, I'd need to likely ship 2 day which costs more than the yeast does so I think I'll wait until someone else possibly sells this 'new' yeast.
Blending WLP001 and WLP002 Right in the Vial
We asked our friends at White Labs if the two strains could be blended right in the vial. They told us it was possible (and they even liked the idea!) so we began working on a final formula. Because English tends to dominate just a little, we lowered the percentage of English and raised the percentage of California in the final blend.

The Flavors and Fermentation Characteristics
What we found in our years of blending at the tap holds true - you can expect the malty flavors and aromas of English combined with the ability of California to highlight hops. The true bonus of blending the strains prior to fermentation was discovered in a test at White Labs. The California strain will ferment more sugar than English and that holds true in the blend so your beers will have a higher attenuation (less malt sugar left in beer). Conversely the blend had the same level of flocculation (ability to clump and drop out of solution) as English, natually leaving a clear beer after fermentation. The English yeast cells apparently also help drop the California yeast cells out of solution. The end result is a yeast blend that has the awesome flavors of the two best selling yeast of all time with the attentuation of California and the flocculation of English... The Best of Both Worlds.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: WLP200 Best of both worlds

Post by mashani »

I can get it from their East distribution center in a day or two as part of the free shipping deal, but I've not seen the point of that yeast blend personally. If I want a more malty but still clean beer I use S-04 or London ESB at lower temps, both which flocculate out as they describe. If I want a yeast that performs completely as they describe, then I use Nottingham at 54-62 degrees. It doesn't taste English at all at those temps, and attenuates as well as if not more then 001.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Any body try this yeast yet? From a podcast I heard that it wasn't truly a 001/002 at 50/50 but a custom blend (that's all they would say).
I'm tiring of 001 and 007 for my IPA's and Pales, though my Hippity Hoppity wtih 001/007 was very good so I think I'm going to rebrew some of my older favorites with this yeast. Morebeer can get it to me in 2 days and it isn't 95 degrees anymore so I'm going to go for it.
But, if anyone has used it and has any opinions, I'm all hops, I mean, ears.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I still have not, but I just ordered the WLP080 cream ale blend, so I can report on that one later.

Even if you try that stuff, I also still think you should try Wyeast London ESB yeast. At cool temps, it will give you very mild English flavors, nice malty backbone, and it flocculates like mad. It is the house yeast at many Micros.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

OK, will do so in a future brew. If it turns out bad, I'll just send it all to you! :)

While we are talking yeasts, have you tried the organic yeasts for MoreBeer?
http://www.morebeer.com/category/imperi ... yeast.html
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have not tried those yet because the ones I would have tried at that point were out of stock last time I ordered. But those would be nice in a 5 gallon batch.

There are some complaints of the tabs popping off the cans so folks have to punch them open with a screwdriver. I am going to assume they will refine this over time because that would suck.