I Phones

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I Phones

Post by Kealia »

This is a very polarizing topic as there are avid Android and iPhone users everywhere and both will state their passion for their own.
I'm also an Android user (Galaxy S III and Nexus tablet) and I wouldn't change BUT there is something to be aware of:

1) iPhone has a single platform/OS which means that apps usually come out there first and they work because developers are only working on a single platform (with maybe some minor backwards compatibility)
2) Android has over 17,000 unique combinations of OS, hardware and software (no, that's not a made up number) which means that apps can be buggy and have issues because developers are designing against a constantly moving target

I have very few issues myself, but you should be aware of this when making a decision.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

I love my iPhone! Used to have a Samsung windows phone, many moons ago. I use it every day. In fact, I've only logged into this forum using my phone, never been on here from a computer. I'm sitting in my old barbershop right now, next in line to get my haircut.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

i'm with FiT i got a pad and don't like to go on line with that, i can't imagine using a pod or a iPhone (or android phone for that matter) to browse the internet.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I have been a satisfied Apple user since 1985, starting with an Apple IIc. With the iPhone you are buying into somewhat of a closed system, which has its pluses and minuses. I like the integration of all my devices; MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

That being said, there are many fine Android products out there. The big screen on the Galaxy phones is a nice feature for old eyes. I think it is just a matter of personal preference, sort of like IPA vs Stouts. Both can be great, but not everyone like both.
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

There are 2 big negatives for the iPhone from my perspective. I have big fingers and the touch screen keyboard even sideways doesn't seem to accommodate them very well. It also requires iTunes which isn't allowed any where near my computer. I don't even use iTunes to manage my iPods. iTunes can't leave well enough alone and has caused me to reload my music collection from backup and wipe and restore my iPod despite me telling it not to manage the device on the 2 occasions I have tried to use it.

I am a big fan of the Android phones and have had no problems related to the OS on the higher end phones.

After having 2 phones with Windows Mobile for work I will not purchase a phone with Windows Mobile on it.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

K ......................... so in the BORG'S onion what phones do you think has the largest screen and the best camera?? With us both being chefs. We have a lot of tastings of our desserts and need to have high quality pics and a clear display. The ipad that work got us is just too large to be easily carried and be out of view when present the desserts

Thanks
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

haerbob3 wrote:K ......................... so in the BORG'S onion what phones do you think has the largest screen and the best camera?? With us both being chefs. We have a lot of tastings of our desserts and need to have high quality pics and a clear display. The ipad that work got us is just too large to be easily carried and be out of view when present the desserts

Thanks

The best camera would have to be the Galaxy S4 with 13mp camera. It also has a 5" HD screen. But I have to tell you the camera on my DNA is an 8mp camera and it is pretty damn nice, it also has a 5 inch HD screen which is really amazing how clear things look on it. The HTC One is basically the same phone with a nicer case, speakers in the front and faster processor.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I would agree with Louie that for your purposes the G4 seems to have the best combination of screen size and resolution.
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

I just picked up the Galaxy S4 and have had it for about 3 weeks and I love it!!! Upgraded from a HTC EVO and it is night and day. The camera is unbelievable, while on a trip with the wife in wine country we used our phones as our cameras and everyone who used it were shocked how fast and clear the picture is. I will virtually never us my camera again unless it is for something specific.
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

There you have it!
SnakefetusBrewing

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

Yeah, I have to second the motion on jumping the iphone ship and climb aboard the android ride. The S4 is probably the best bang for your buck atm
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better