Getting in a yeast rut

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Getting in a yeast rut

Post by Beer-lord »

Rebel_B wrote:On Sunday I brewed up an IPA started with US-05 yeast, waited for a day till I saw about an inch of krausen on top, then pitched in some Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast. I will finish this with some Citra & Columbus hops in a dry hop when it is close to FG (probably this weekend).
Now that sounds cool. May I ask what you are expecting? I've often thought of dosing a beer with a somewhat different type of yeast after it starts but chicken out. My curiosity is peaked so please update this thread so I can be curiosity cured.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

An IPA with some Belgian yeast flavors would be my expectation. The recipe I brewed up was very similar to this one; from BYO magazine, October 2012.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448421714.496977.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448421714.496977.jpg (215.34 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Rebel_B wrote:An IPA with some Belgian yeast flavors would be my expectation. The recipe I brewed up was very similar to this one; from BYO magazine, October 2012.
This is my subjective opinion of course, but what you did - 3787 - or WLP530 - is a better choice of yeast IMHO then that BYO recipe has. Abbaye would work nice if you want to use a dry yeast. Belgian Ardennes too. Any of those over WLP500 IMHO in this kind of beer. I like WLP500 in big dark fruity Belgians. But I much prefer the others in anything else.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Agreed!
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Rebel_B wrote:On Sunday I brewed up an IPA started with US-05 yeast, waited for a day till I saw about an inch of krausen on top, then pitched in some Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast. I will finish this with some Citra & Columbus hops in a dry hop when it is close to FG (probably this weekend).
Just peeked in on this ferment started two days ago; after pitching the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast yesterday, the fermenter is looking very busy, about 2 inches of krausen on top of the wort now. Smelling some aromatics now & the temperature has gone up to 70 degrees. I like this yeast & I have been using this strain on all my Belgian style ales the past 3 months. Why in an IPA? Cause I appreciate a bunch of those NW hops!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Rebel_B wrote:
Rebel_B wrote:I like this yeast & I have been using this strain on all my Belgian style ales the past 3 months. Why in an IPA? Cause I appreciate a bunch of those NW hops!
3787/WLP530 is probably my favorite yeast on the planet. So your doing it right.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Here is a gravity reading of my batch of 'Tragen Babel' IPA (looks like 1.014), started with Fermentis US-05, then pitched with Wyeast 3787 after active fermentation was observed. I also just dry hopped some Citra & Columbus hops into the fermenter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448823319.941695.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448823319.941695.jpg (199.5 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
I tasted a sample, so far, so good!
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

I've got one to throw out there. All my friends and even myself used to make Porter and Stouts using enlish ale yeast. But I made the switch to Irish ale yeast after not having some English on hand. It created the best milk stout and cocanut Porter I've ever had in my life and is my go to for those brews. Some would say there's not much difference between the two, but I disagree. Changing to even a subtly different strain of yeast can make a world of difference IMO. Plus it makes your brew unique. My point being that you don't have to make huge changes in yeast choice to make better beer recipes. And it all adds to the fun factor of home brewing!
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Here is a picture of my Belgian IPA; product of a two yeast fermentation with plenty of dry hopped Citra hops. I like the Belgian character with the grapefruit like overtones from these NW hops.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450023033.552077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450023033.552077.jpg (222.91 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

A beaut of a beer!
My two forays into blending yeasts have come out well and there's more in the near future.
My next brew is going to be using San Diego Super yeast and I'm making a big enough starter to save some to blend with either 007, 002 or 001. Hmmm, franken yeast is sounding pretty good. My main concern is attenuation though even my last use of 001 fooled me and quit only 3/4 of the way done.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black