Coopers kits for 2.5 gallons

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Coopers kits for 2.5 gallons

Post by RandyG »

I'm going to try a different way of brewing small batches.I'm going to steep some L20 or 40,and some carapils,but instead of boiling for a certain amount of time,I'm going to add a 3.75 # can of Cooper's HME at flameout.I'm hoping that the brew will not be too hoppy.I guess it depends on which kit I use. I know,I'm loosing beer by doing it this way,but I'm gonna see how it works out.Any advice,"Don't Do Its",info,pro's,con's.etc. will be apprieciated.Wish me luck. :fedora:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Coopers kits for 2.5 gallons

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

You still will need to boil for 10-15 minutes to kill off lactobacillus from the grain. If you don't it could sour from the lacto and you would have infected equipment as far as your fermenter and transfer equipment.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

That's going to be some expensive beer... Most make it per instructions (replacing added sugar with LME or DME) and split between two LBKs. Or make 1/2 per instructions and save the other half.

If you do what you intend, use QBrew or other software to see what the outcome will be before you waste money.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

I usually steep my speciality grains for 30 min at 155-160 degrees. I may just use the Cooper's like a Mr. Beer straight up recipe. I got the Cooper's Real Ale kit for $22,so that's not too bad for a case of beer. Also there is a LHBS about 45 mins. from me that has Cooper's kits for $19,and Muntons as low as $16 for the 3.75 lb HMEs, so if this works out, It will be cheaper yet,but for me,this is a hobby which I enjoy,so the costs are justified to me. Randolf
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

However you steep, you need to boil after.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

when I use steeping grains,I always boil after the steep for the hop schedule,before I add the Dme,Lme or Hme. I think with this one I'm just going to bring some water to the boil,and add the HME . It should be stronger and hoppier,but usually milder kits don't have large amounts of IBU's or an over abundance of malts,b/c you have to add xtra malts or sugars to make 5 gallons,so I think I'll be ok. I'll drink it anyways.