Second shot at Spring seasonal- White IPA.-terrible

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Second shot at Spring seasonal- White IPA.-terrible

Post by losman26 »

Well, I decided to give it a second shot using the Belle Saison yeast. While, it is slightly better than before, it is still terrible. I got a pretty good attenuation with this yeast, but it still tastes way too damn sweet. Maybe I should have put some bittering hops with some DME, but I was kind of in a rush when I did it. When all is said and done, this is the worst seasonal, straight out of the can. This particular seasonal has turned me off of Mr. Beer, and I really have no desire to buy anything soon from them. After all, if you're gonna call it a White IPA, at least make a White IPA and not something else.

This tastes like a bad version of Midwest Supplies- Lawnmower de Saison (which is awesome-BTW). Why spend $25 on something, when you can get a 5 gal for $12 more that has at least the same if not more ABV.
Beer-lord

Re: Second shot at Spring seasonal- White IPA.-terrible

Post by Beer-lord »

I was somewhat interested in this for a short while and am so glad I opted not to do this. While some have been pleased with the results, it seems most were not.
For me, while I do enjoy a quickie now and then, with a 3 tap kegerator and the need to try to keep 3 taps full of beer, the 5 gallon recipes are so much more economical for me. Yes, more work for AG and a bit more work for a PM but I find the time and to me, its definitely worth the money.
Though when it's 95 out and I'm tired, I do wonder about the simplicity of opening 2 cans of malt on the stove top.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

I brewed the White IPA a few months ago and I thought I had done something wrong, because it was absolutely horrible. Very sweet, as you said, and kind of funky. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't something I did wrong, but just a crappy recipe to begin with?
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

I'm guessing that the same person who is running the forum right now, developed the White IPA recipe.
Sparrow
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Sparrow »

I did the Diablo Blanco, which has an lme and falconers flight addition, and still have a few hanging around.
I wouldn't say it is bad, I just can't seem to classify it, but I can say it didn't turn out to be one of my favorite MrB batches, hence the reason I still have some.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

A White IPA sounds like a bad idea to begin with IMHO.
White ales are generally sweet as hell and finish wet.
A good IPA IMHO has a nice bite of bitterness, and a dry finish.
Can't see the two working well together...but I also hate white ales so I'm a bit biased.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
kdhs10

Post by kdhs10 »

I really enjoyed the El Diablo Blanco that I did, but I also don't enjoy many IPA's.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

jivex5k wrote:A White IPA sounds like a bad idea to begin with IMHO.
White ales are generally sweet as hell and finish wet.
A good IPA IMHO has a nice bite of bitterness, and a dry finish.
Can't see the two working well together...but I also hate white ales so I'm a bit biased.
I've had a few White IPAs that were decent. Not sweet, and had a good amount of bitterness. I personally cannot stand Black IPAs.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I think this one might really come down to a matter of taste. I didn't like it at all but the people I gave bottles to loved this one. Go figure.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

If you remember from my posts on this on the other forum, mine were banana bombs. I bottled mine on April 24th. I still have some left. And that banana flavor is now starting to dissipate. They still aren't that good.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You shouldn't get a lot of banana with T-58 unless fermentation temps spike into the mid-upper 70s...

My "El-Diablo Blanco" version of this with the Nelson Sauvon is actualy pretty good stuff. Like Fantome Blanche mixed with Anchor Humming. I did use a full ounce of Nelson Sauvon, so it ramped up the bitterness a lot, and it has a lot of hop flavor, so it's really like an IPA.

I turned my second can into a 4.6ish gallon batch of saison, by adding DME and finishing hops and used Bella Saison in it, and it was a 1.05ish beer... went down to 1.003.. it is not sweet... it's good, I've consumed 3+ gallons of it already. But it's nothing like the original version, this was a total frankenbrew.

If you don't like saison yeast profiles, your not going to like it. T-58 at lower temps is more like a poor attenuating saison yeast then a belgain yeast in it's profile IMHO. I use it with sugar to make pseudo-saisons.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

BlackDuck wrote:If you remember from my posts on this on the other forum, mine were banana bombs. I bottled mine on April 24th. I still have some left. And that banana flavor is now starting to dissipate. They still aren't that good.
A horrible beer. I even used a yeast and attenuated it down to 1.011. The sweet-annoying flavor is still there! It feels like it attenuated down to 1.035 because there is no bitterness what so ever. When I run out of pineapple juice, I'll just go downstairs and grab a cup of this stuff, because that's what it is- pineapple juice!!!
asnider

Post by asnider »

Kealia wrote:I think this one might really come down to a matter of taste. I didn't like it at all but the people I gave bottles to loved this one. Go figure.
Absolutely. I wasn't a huge fan (I still haven't used my second can), but everyone who tried it really enjoyed it. And, for some reason, everyone got bombed off of it super easily, despite my estimated ABV only being around 5.2% instead of the advertised 6.5%.

It wasn't a strong beer, but it seemed to give everyone a strong buzz after only a pint or two!
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Most people seemed more turned off that they didnt get what was advertised and thus the taste they were expectiing. I started hearing this before I brewed it (was waiting for a sale so got started late) so didnt have the "IPA" expectation. I did both the standard and Blanco versions and except for the broken spigot on the later I thought they turned out pretty good (but still not a white IPA). I am still debating what mad scientist antics I am going to do to the replacement can they sent me.

As for my friends they really enjoyed it (the ones that dont ask for a Coors anyway when I offer a beer). But, I didnt tell them what it was supposed to be. If I did Im sure the hop heads would have given a different opinion.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Here's what is wrong with this beer- you could attenuate this sucker all the way down to 1.000, and it will still taste way too sweet. Mine went down to 1.008 using the Belle Saison yeast, and tastes way too sweet, almost the same as when I used the other yeast that finished at 1.021. The bottom line, this beer sucks (better with the Belle Saison)! Not a white IPA, and it seems like they forgot to add the bittering hops. After this one, why spend $25 on a 2 gal kit, when you can easily find something from the other sites (northern Brewer, MoreBeer, Midwest) for the same price to do 5 gals that is better? Or maybe it's just me, but you cannot produce good beer straight out of a can, but if you are gonna put a label on something (White IPA) at least produce the product, and don't skimp on ingredients. I'm going to guess that this paticular HME has less than 20 IBUS, not the 60 plus that they claim. I brew 60+ IBU beers all the time, and use all kinds of yeasts doing so. This Seasonal is borderline "Fraud."