I don't know what I was thinking, I'll never do that again

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

I don't know what I was thinking, I'll never do that again

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

This morning, before fully waking up, I decided to check in on the batch of beer fermenting in the chest freezer since Saturday. Of course I didn't see any visible signs of bubbles in any of the airlocks, and being curious, I figured I would lightly press down on the fermentor lid and try to smell fermenting beer coming from the airlock. Well needless to say I received the shock of my life, the cO2 that came out of the fermentor burned my nose and sinuses so bad I literally jumped back a foot. While the burning did eventually go away several minutes later, that did teach me a lesson that I won't soon forget. Co2 makes beer taste soo much better but it is the worst smelling gas imaginable, no wonder carbonation adds bitterness to beer.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: I don't know what I was thinking, I'll never do that aga

Post by Beer-lord »

I did that at a craft brewery one time, bending down to sniff the bubbling bucket they had attached to a hose coming out of the large fermenter and I think I saw Jesus. :)
Actually, that can kill you if you're not careful. I already knew that but didn't think I was close enough to get all the nasties but boy was I surprised.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Wow, that's just screwy...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Well duh?!? That is probably what makes your hair stand on end and your peter (oh nevermind)
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I ferment in a chest freezer and quickly learned not to lean in to see what's going on. The entire interior fills with CO2 during fermentation. It'll take your breath away.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I usually take a fan to mine when I need to be in there for any kind of time, chest freezer that is.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Yep, did that once. Decided to take a whiff on bottling day right after I opened the top of my bucket fermenter. Once is all it takes...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

What a difference a day makes. This morning both fermentor lids had globs of yeast on them and the airlocks looked like they were filled with light coffee instead of StarSan. I almost feel sorry for the poor wort inside, the WLP-001 seems to be ripping it apart like a fish in a tank full of Piranhas. It's a little disturbing to see such horror so early in the day, my prior perception of yeast as being gentle little creatures has been changed forever..
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The_Professor wrote:Decided to take a whiff on bottling day right after I opened the top of my bucket fermenter.
I did something similar, I opened mine to take an FG reading before the cold crash. I was expecting a whiff full of citrusy hops. I was wrong....holy cow, I thought I inhaled fire.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Been there, done that too! :wow:
Opened the bucket before bottling to pull the hop sack and figured I'd
catch a whiff of some tasty beer, but nooooo!

Sinuses hurt for about an hour afterwards.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Beer-lord wrote:I did that at a craft brewery one time, bending down to sniff the bubbling bucket they had attached to a hose coming out of the large fermenter and I think I saw Jesus. :)
Actually, that can kill you if you're not careful. I already knew that but didn't think I was close enough to get all the nasties but boy was I surprised.
I did that in a brew club brewery tour. I than proceeded to tell my buddies they needed to get in on the smell and check it out. They weren't fans of mine after that.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

This past week I had a blow off going for a DIPA and I opened my ferment chamber and it hit me again though not as hard and heavy. It actually takes your breath away.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

Haha! I did this exact thing when I pulled the lid off the Screwer in Rye a few weeks ago. Then I did it to an empty keg I had pressurized from moving over a year ago. That was a little more intense. I depressurised, pulled the lid and gave it a whiff to see if it smelled like soda from a batch I bought. I'll never do that again!