Too Much Beer or Not Enough?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Too Much Beer or Not Enough?

Post by John Sand »

Which is better? I guess I know the answer. I certainly don't want to run out (!), but neither do I want to stockpile beer that will lose it's freshness. I'm drinking a wonderful IPA, but the keg feels a little light. I have a 2.5gal keg of Irish Red that is just ready, but I want some of that left for St Patrick's Day. There is 5 gallons of Belgian Pale fermenting two weeks today, that should be ready in a few more. It takes me about a month to drink 5 gallons. And I'll be away for a couple off weeks this winter. Plenty of beer, right? Well, maybe. I made a couple of bad batches last year, okay, 3, totaling ten gallons of beer. And I haven't figured out exactly what happened. Importantly, Jane works late today, giving me a chance to brew. So, the only questions are whether to brew inside or out, and an easy 2.5 or a full five gallon batch? I think Rye Pale Ale is on deck.
What would you do?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Too Much Beer or Not Enough?

Post by Gymrat »

Too much beer? There is such a thing?
It takes me 6 weeks to empty a keg. I still like to have at least 4 full at all times. It takes years for home brew to go bad. I do like to drink my IPAs and wheat beers young but anything else will keep as long as you need it to.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It takes just as much time to brew 2.5 gallons as 5 (well, almost the same time) so that's what I'd do. Maybe brew a beer that doesn't have to be enjoyed as fresh as an IPA or Pale. A bigger stout or porter?????
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Totally agree with brewing 5 gallons. I've had 2 year old beers (bottles) that are fine. Unless it's very hoppy, there is no reason it won't store well.

That said, I brewed 1 batch this year so far, bought the ingredients with 2 other recipes that I brewed in December. Now I'm on a brewing haitus, because I'm finding we're not drinking the so-so brews in favor of the really good ones. Have 21.69 cases, and of that 4.36 of them are ones I will never brew again, so the family is focused on those. I figure I will brew again maybe in April for a nice Spring beer regardless of inventory.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

All good points. Some thoughts: I did consider brewing a big beer that will age well, but I don't drink them much, so I think I don't want that keg lying around. I'm still drinking some two year old Belgian Strong, and nearly year old Dubbel in bottles.
I agree that 5 isn't much more work than 2, but it's definitely more. And much easier to do outside than in. Today is over 50, but it rained yesterday, so there is mud to consider. I also will likely brew a recipe that I have not before, so caution suggests the smaller batch.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Depending on the number of parties and get togethers we have any given month, 10 gallon batches go pretty fast. Some months it takes 20 gallons just to keep myself, family and friends supplied. But brewing a mix of drink 'em young and drink 'em aged styles is probably a good idea. I'm not an expert at this as my Kolsch will take another 4 weeks before it's ready and I have less than a case of year old Wee Heavy left.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Okay. You all won me over. I am brewing 5 gallons, indoors, modifying Mashani's Delta Amarillo Rye to Cluster Amarillo Rye. With some other changes too.
Never mind, there it is.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:Depending on the number of parties and get togethers we have any given month
That's my biggest challenge. I find it seasonal. In the summer, we end up with impromptu "cul de sac" get togethers and boom - the kegs are empty. In the winter, everyone hibernates and the kegs last for months.

2016 - I'm still drinking beer from late Nov / early Dec. I have not made a beer batch in 2016 yet.

Down to my last 7.5 gallons so the time is right to get my brew on.
Thirsting For Knowledge
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Imho having a stockpile can carry you thru an unexpected no brewing spell. i.e. Monday represented the re establishment of the fermenting part of my pipeline. the first such since mid Aug. I ran out of my stockpile in mid Oct.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

A valid point Jim. Twice before I have thought myself well supplied, only to find some infected or otherwise unsatisfactory.
I'll finish the IPA, then if necessary I can store the Irish Red or Belgian Pale without too much worry.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Update: There never is enough beer. St Patrick's Day and Easter hit my stock hard, and the Belgian is not good. I'm pretty sure it was the yeast. Smack pack didn't swell, not smell good, and it was really slow to start. Now I am out of homebrew! :( (Okay, I have a few bottles kicking around) My new goal is fill a keg when it empties.
Never mind, there it is.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have 6 kegs, try to keep 4 full at any time. I do 3 or 5 gallon, depends on what I'm brewing. It last a long time, I'm a grinch and don't share much anymore. I have 'round 6 cases stashed here and there, might drink them someday. Some are a couple years old but they are barley-wines I made to last a long time. I brewed today, first time in several months. Don't know if I want to delete beersmith off my puter, or throw my puter over the cliff, not good day from start to finish, nothing worked very good. Hope your next batch works out better than my poop day.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sorry FiT. We all have those rough days. May your beer still turn out great.
I have to brew soon, and often. One plus for me is that I'll be on the boat for a couple of weeks again, giving my brews time to condition. I hope to brew every week for the next three.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

That's rough, Froze. I hope, in spite of your rotten day, your brew turns out good. Sometimes Ninsaki smiles upon us that way.

John, I never seem to have ready beer in the pipeline, in spite of brewing nearly every Sunday. I've just kegged a Pilsner that I brewed back in January. I'm going to need a bit of what I've got conditioning for an event in a couple weeks, so I'm sure that will deplete things, but having a robust pipeline isn't a bad thing. BPgreen had mentioned (on the MB board) that he lets his beer condition for three or four months. I thought that was kind of a long time, but when I had the opportunity to do it, I was amazed at how really good the beer was. Depending on style, of course, you may want to temper your conditioning time. IPAs and wheats a good when young, but many other styles can benefit from extended conditioning. This is one of my most challenging things as a homebrewer; I try to brew for the upcoming season, but also mix in beers that can be enjoyed in a short time with beers that I want longer conditioning times.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

jimjohson wrote:Imho having a stockpile can carry you thru an unexpected no brewing spell. i.e. Monday represented the re establishment of the fermenting part of my pipeline. the first such since mid Aug. I ran out of my stockpile in mid Oct.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)