Going commando with Hops

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Going commando with Hops

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I would love to be able to go hop commando, but I'm pretty sure my counter flow chiller would get plugged up. It has already happened to me when using hop sacks when brewing a really hopped up batch of IPA.
I have the JaDed Cyclone CF in my set up, knock on wood, have not plugged up anything, but it is also 1/2" ID copper that the wort runs trough on mine. Last 2 IPAs had 4 and 5 oz hops added.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:I would love to be able to go hop commando, but I'm pretty sure my counter flow chiller would get plugged up. It has already happened to me when using hop sacks when brewing a really hopped up batch of IPA.
I have the JaDed Cyclone CF in my set up, knock on wood, have not plugged up anything, but it is also 1/2" ID copper that the wort runs trough on mine. Last 2 IPAs had 4 and 5 oz hops added.
I'm using a Chillzilla counter flow chiller Steve but the recipe calls for 15 ounces of kettle hops and that was enough to plug up the chiller. I love the idea of just tossing the hops into the boil but unclogging the chiller when in a rush to get the fermentors filled is just too hard to deal with for me. When I do work up the nerve to try it out it'll be with a recipe that uses no more than 4-6 ounces of hops. Thanks for sharing.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Always commando unless I'm planning on reusing the yeast.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I just made a 3G American IPA recipe last weekend that had 4 different hops in it. I guess it would have been a good one to go back to doing the hops commando style, in fact it almost did as the hop bag was tearing & coming apart with all those hops.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I just made a 3G American IPA recipe last weekend that had 4 different hops in it. I guess it would have been a good one to go back to doing the hops commando style, in fact it almost did as the hop bag was tearing & coming apart with all those hops.
Hop pellets expand...a LOT
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Gymrat wrote:I go commando then use this

Anything between brew pot and fermenter needs to be sanitized, but just spray with starsan ... I may try your strainer idea, I've been using sack in the boil.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

+1 on this. I do the same thing.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

+1 on this. I do the same thing.

Sorry double post…. :redface:
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Tabasco wrote:

Anything between brew pot and fermenter needs to be sanitized, but just spray with starsan ... I may try your strainer idea, I've been using sack in the boil.
I pour starsan through it to the bucket I am sanitizing to carry my beer downstairs. Then I wipe it all over with a starsan soaked paper towel. I have never had any issues.