Thinking to much

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tmike

Re: Thinking to much

Post by Tmike »

How the heck i add a picture? I click on upload attatchment and choose file and add file and it goes to blank reply screen.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Tmike wrote:How the heck i add a picture? I click on upload attatchment and choose file and add file and it goes to blank reply screen.
Once you upload the attachment, stick this into the message text:

[attachment=X]image.jpg[/attachment]

Except change the x to a 0 for the first image, 1 for the second etc. you can go as high as 4 for a total of five images.
Tmike

Post by Tmike »

Here is taste test pic out fermenter 2 weeks. My bottles are already hard after one conditioning day, is this normal or im gonna have them blow. I added 2.5 tsp sugar to the kit litre bottles.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

whoa 2.5 teaspoons? in a 1 liter bottle? I normally use 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon (2 or 3 domino dot sugar cubes - I find sugar cubes to be so much easier to deal with)

That is high, I think the PET liter bottles are pretty strong and I've never had one blow, but I don't think I've put that much sugar in one either. I think the most I've ever put in was 5 cubes or 1.25 teaspoons. Those were way over carbed.

Monty
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Yeah, about 1/3 to 1/2 a teaspoon for a 12 ounce bottle...

You got around 33.8 ounces in a liter so that would be 1 teaspoon to maybe 1.5 teaspoons per liter.

I agree with Monty, you got about double what you need in there.

Might be a good idea to slightly open the top of those bottles to let the built up CO2 escape, the close them up again and check them in a day or so.

Might need to do this at least twice...

Hopefully you are venting the CO2 from about half the fermented sugar that you added, leaving some to carb the beer.

Let too little out, boom.

Let too much out, flat beer.

It's a balancing act at this point.

If you keep checking the bottles daily for a week or so, you should be able to guage when to vent some out.

After a few ventings, you should be able to let them sit capped for the final carb activity.

:cool:
Tmike

Post by Tmike »

Dang after all this patience all i need is to mess it up now. The kit instructions said that much to put. I have them screwed on tight. I will vent some today and retighten them and try keep up with it.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Tmike wrote:Dang after all this patience all i need is to mess it up now. The kit instructions said that much to put. I have them screwed on tight. I will vent some today and retighten them and try keep up with it.
Tmike,

If you are sure that your bottles are 1 liter then it does seem like too much priming sugar.

Don't vent them too much, they still need to be hard for a week or two.

Just let some of the initial CO2 out and keep checking them.

It'll be fine.

If the insteuctions said to add that much, then the bottles might not blow, but I would expect at least overcarbed beer.

Just check 'em and vent them a bit and you'll be fine.

:cool:
Tmike

Post by Tmike »

Thank you. For lunch i just made trip home and let the air out and tighting caps back up. The sound the smell if i wouldnt had go back to work i think i would've lost one and kot from pressure, :beer:
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I think it's too much priming sugar too, based on what the priming sugar calculators say, like screwybrewer's. However that's what Mr. Beer and BrewDemon recommended in their instructions. I've since went to using 2 of the bigger sugar cubes (1 tsp size) or 2 Coopers drops as what's recommended for the 750ml bottles, as that seems to work fine for me. Although that's still more than what the calculators recommend.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I think it's too much priming sugar too, based on what the priming sugar calculators say, like screwybrewer's. However that's what Mr. Beer and BrewDemon recommended in their instructions. I've since went to using 2 of the bigger sugar cubes (1 tsp size) or 2 Coopers drops as what's recommended for the 750ml bottles, as that seems to work fine for me. Although that's still more than what the calculators recommend.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Tmike

Post by Tmike »

I let co2 out for second time and i think now im gonna take my chances and let it go. Just brewed (actually heated) my second batch, Hellfire Red. Got the wort cooling right now gonna pitch yeast lil cooler this time. Still drinking store bought.lol. they just raised the taxes here major on liqour and cigarettes so glad i brewing. :clink:
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Ya know this is something I think I have noticed and wondered about. As I made more and more batches, something changed. It takes less and less sugar to get compariable carbonation to what I was getting when I started. And all the older more experienced brewers were saying I was using too much priming sugar.

Is it possible that as you get your process down, that you are making a better and better habitat for the yeast, though better sanitation, oxygenation, etc, that it actually does take less sugar to carb?

Monty
Tmike

Post by Tmike »

monsteroyd wrote:Ya know this is something I think I have noticed and wondered about. As I made more and more batches, something changed. It takes less and less sugar to get compariable carbonation to what I was getting when I started. And all the older more experienced brewers were saying I was using too much priming sugar.

Is it possible that as you get your process down, that you are making a better and better habitat for the yeast, though better sanitation, oxygenation, etc, that it actually does take less sugar to carb?

Monty
The more i study on beerborg the more deeper my questions.lol. i actually believe from reading here that the temperature of conditioning has alot to do with it also. Warmer temps faster more carbonation. Also i think now this all just my newbie opinion is that the kits say drinking beer in two weeks ferment and carbonation so maybe its more sugar to quickly get it to that point for drinking . This is all opinion not experience. My second beer batch the yeast acting like a bunch of piranahs in their. Im really tempted to put one bottle of my first batch in the fridge , but i know it way to early .
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Tmike wrote:
monsteroyd wrote:Ya know this is something I think I have noticed and wondered about. As I made more and more batches, something changed. It takes less and less sugar to get compariable carbonation to what I was getting when I started. And all the older more experienced brewers were saying I was using too much priming sugar.

Monty
The more i study on beerborg the more deeper my questions.lol. i actually believe from reading here that the temperature of conditioning has alot to do with it also. Warmer temps faster more carbonation. Also i think now this all just my newbie opinion is that the kits say drinking beer in two weeks ferment and carbonation so maybe its more sugar to quickly get it to that point for drinking . This is all opinion not experience. My second beer batch the yeast acting like a bunch of piranahs in their. Im really tempted to put one bottle of my first batch in the fridge , but i know it way to early .

Yes temperature would matter, but the beer is carbing in the bottle on the exact same shelf in the closet in the basement since I started, so I think that part is pretty much constant. And if they do say to use a lot of sugar to get it carbed faster, they better be assuming you'll drink it all, cause that is also a way to make bombs. :)

Monty
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Tmike wrote:

Monty
Wait until the bottles are rock hard before you put them in the fridge. Once the bottles go in the fridge, the yeast will go into suspension and stop feeding. With that much sugar you might have a sweet batch of beer. Just remember that patience is truly the key to getting the best out of all your effort. You want to condition/carb your beer around the same temps that you ferment at. 68*-72* is a good temp to carb at.