A little about another hobby of mine

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: A little about another hobby of mine

Post by FedoraDave »

Agreed. I just need to save up enough for the proper instrument. They ain't cheap.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Sounds like a great deal. Glad you are getting back into playing. I learned on a cheap acoustic about 45 years ago. Bought my first decent guitar, an Epiphone acoustic a few years later. My first electric was an Epiphone Les Paul that I bought 20 years ago. Traded up to a Gibson Les Paul Custom about 5 years later. That one is my pride and joy, but my favorite is a Carvin AE-185. It is a hybrid with a semi-hollow body, 2 humbucker pickups and an acoustic piezo pickup in the sound chamber. The circuitry allows me to switch from electric to acoustic pickups with the turn of a knob. It has the nice electric neck with a sweet acoustic sound; best of both worlds. I also have a Takamine acoustic-electric. Just wish I had more time to play them.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Have I shared this yet? Remember the Beatles? Don't Let Me Down from the rooftop. This is actually 4 years ago at my friends house. RedBEERd is on drums and I'm the guy at the far left playing guitar.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Beer-lord wrote:Have I shared this yet? Remember the Beatles? Don't Let Me Down from the rooftop. This is actually 4 years ago at my friends house. RedBEERd is on drums and I'm the guy at the far left playing guitar.
Sounded great Paul! It would be fun to jam with a band.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks Roger. We're just high school friends who've played together and separately for years then stopped seeing each other as we each got married and had kids. Then, in 2006, we started a sort of friendship rekindling and try to play together about 1 every month or two. We mostly suck but my friend has a videography business and his studio is awesome and playing their is fun. He has 'real' bands that play at his house and use it to practice before touring so it is pretty cool. And, we don't take it serious as it's just plain fun.
He's invested a good deal of money in equipment too which is great because I can use it for free!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Nice post, Gymrat, thanks.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote:Have I shared this yet? Remember the Beatles? Don't Let Me Down from the rooftop. This is actually 4 years ago at my friends house. RedBEERd is on drums and I'm the guy at the far left playing guitar.

To my untrained ear that sounds fantastic. Sounds like you guys have a good time, too.

Sadly, the only musical instrument I can play is the radio.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Beer-lord wrote:I never really learned music though in grammar school I played the coronet (trumpet) and could read a little but I learned guitar (as did the twin who now plays drum in our Wed nite fun nite) learned guitar because of the 1964 Beatles show on Ed Sullivan! :) We were only 6 years old and really didn't start until we were 9 but we had our brooms out pretending to be the Beatles. Ahhhhhh, life was good then, right? Records......STEREO. What else could you ask for then?
So now it's playing by ear and just wanting it enough to learn though I do play simpler now.

Roger, if you want to learn some songs very easy, check out out Justin's sights. Subscribe to his channel and view his website and he's got hundreds, if not more, songs that he shares how to play from beginner to advanced. Saves me lots of time learning new songs.
http://www.justinguitar.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe
Paul thankyou so much for this link. I have been taking his lessons on Blues Lead Guitar and have learned a LOT! I ordered a new set of strings from musicians friend. I want .09 pure nickel for the style I want to learn. My friend is going to stop by sometime today so I can pay him for the Guitar and Amp. I just couldn't find any flaws in them. The price is less than what I could find on ebay for the same or comparable equipment. And there is a lot to be said for being able to actually handle the merchandise before purchasing.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Glad you are getting some great practice in. I'll never be at the level I was when I was playing in a band but it's fun to still try. The long break I took (much like brewing) definitely hurt but it won't stop me from trying.
Keep rocking!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

\m/ \m/
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote: To my untrained ear that sounds fantastic. Sounds like you guys have a good time, too.
Sadly, the only musical instrument I can play is the radio.
Sounds good to me too.

I can play Taurus pedals and/or old school Mini Moog if someone can find me some that actually still work.