IPL From Hell

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

IPL From Hell

Post by mashani »

Because of color, hops named after a pagan god, and Nelson which some people hate on, I shall call it that.

More fun then "Short boil with hop stand reddish IPL."

1oz Roasted Barley (for color mostly, and to use it up)
2oz Special B
2oz Honey Malt
4oz Dextrose
4# MoreBeer Extra Light LME

1.0oz Azacca @15
0.5oz Nelson Sauvin @15
1.0oz Azacca @flameout
0.5oz Nelson Sauvin @flameout

30 minute lid on hop stand

Pitched a pack and 1/2 of old 34/70 I need to use up.

OG 1.064. SRM around 14-15. IBUs will be pushing 80-90 even with the short boil due to hop stand utilization.

It should look kind of like an Irish Red. But it sure won't taste like one.

I think the Special B fruit will taste good with the hop combo. Honey malt to give it a bit more maltyness and some sweetness to temper the hops.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: IPL From Hell

Post by BigPapaG »

Should be like a sweeter, fruitier West Coast Red IPA... Except a lager...

...with some raison and honey...

Should be good...

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Yeah, Azacca has all sorts of fruit (citrus, mango, pear, apple) mixed with some pine, plus the nelson grapeyness, and the special b raisin... like fruit salad.

Probably will not seem too sweet, not that much crystal here, 4oz total, 2oz of honey malt will be subtle, and I used the dextrose to keep from adding more malt to get to my desired OG. Just wanted SOME sweetness in there to enhance the fruit and balance the bitter.

I normally like piney/dank/citrusy IPAs more then fruity ones, but I figured something different in the pipeline would be nice.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@BigPapaG or anyone - I've actually never had a west coast red. What is a good one to try?
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

The ones I have tried are like red IPA's...

Bear Republic Red Rocket is very good... (Had originally listed Racer 5 which is their Amber IPA, which is also great!)

Green Flash's Hop Head Red...

If you want an Imperial Red, look for Great Lakes Nosferatu.

There are others but I'm drawing a blank...

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled at 1.014, and it tasted insanely good.

Nelson + Azacca = winner.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I popped my tester bottle. It tastes great. But it's cloudy as hell. I don't know how much is hop haze and how much is yeast that hasn't dropped out. Considering it hasn't been laagered at all and it's youngish, it could be either. There really isn't much more that it could be in this beer. I think I'll let the rest sit another week, then toss them into the fridge for a while to laager and see what happens. I don't want to let them sit too long though as I want to keep tasting the hops like they are.

The Azacca + Nelson is just yum. Tropical fruit salad yum.

It is reddish, and I think the red color will show up more once it clears a bit.

A little bit more bittering would probably be good. Especially if it was going to sit for a while. But it's bitter enough right now to seem balanced, unless you are looking for the "bite". But I think I'd move the 15's to 20 next time.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I love Nelson but still haven't tracked down any Azzaca.....but the pairing sounds delicious.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This stuff is still really murky even after laagering a few weeks. It's the murkiest thing I've ever made I think, besides that "saison juice". And I have no idea why. It might almost pass as one of those NE IPAs we have been talking about. I will take a picture of the next pour to show you but it may as well be a hefe with the yeast swirled back in.

Does 34/70 really hate flocing out this much? (I don't use that yeast normally, so I dunno?). Or maybe 34/70 has that same hop/yeast haze reaction thing that goes on with the Bodingtons yeast that it seems lots of those NE IPA people are using?

It tastes freaking awesome, so ??? It has not lost *any* hop character that I can tell. If that's a side effect of the murkiness, maybe it is a good thing. ???

If you want to make a NE IPL, try this recipe and see :)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

See, you created another new style. I've never used that yeast so I can't help you there, sorry.

I do know that hop oils bind to yeast which is likely part of the reason the NE IPAs are so flavor forward.

Hopefully yours clears for you...or doesn't. Since you like it, it doesn't really matter, right?

But, you're not talking murky like that Konkey Dong pic I posted are you?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It's not as bad as the Koney Dong. But it's pretty bad compared to how my beers come out normally. I'll post a picture when I pour some.