Taking another step, equipment-wise

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Taking another step, equipment-wise

Post by Kealia »

Congrats on the new equipment, Dave. I still don;t brew regularly enough to want to do bulk buys or crush my own grain but maybe that will change someday.
I never thought I'd have taps at home and look where that got me.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Nice lookin rig! I need ta get one, this kitchen aid mill is getting to be a pain to use, one small scoop at a time. Green with envy!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I've always had my grain milled at the LHBS but I was wondering, what is the best way to buy and store grain? The majority of my recipes call for 23 pounds of grain so a 50 pound bag will last me about 4-6 weeks.
My LHBS would order 50 pounds for me, so you probably only need to ask. When you think about it, it's no skin off their nose to order more bulk grains and then sell them to you. As far as storage, since I make my living in the pest control business, I'd recommend plastic bins with lids that seal tightly, to keep rodents and bugs out. Don't be suckered by "exclusive" bins from a homebrew website. You can pick up what you need at a place like Target. Shop around and get the size you'll need, and make sure the lid seals tightly. And that ain't rocket science, so don't pay extra for it.

I've been tempted to buy bulk grains, but I'd still need to go to the LHBS to get the caramels and the flaked oats and rye malt, and whatever else I needed batch-to-batch, plus the hops and yeast, so it really doesn't pay for me.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FedoraDave wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:I've always had my grain milled at the LHBS but I was wondering, what is the best way to buy and store grain? The majority of my recipes call for 23 pounds of grain so a 50 pound bag will last me about 4-6 weeks.
My LHBS would order 50 pounds for me, so you probably only need to ask. When you think about it, it's no skin off their nose to order more bulk grains and then sell them to you. As far as storage, since I make my living in the pest control business, I'd recommend plastic bins with lids that seal tightly, to keep rodents and bugs out. Don't be suckered by "exclusive" bins from a homebrew website. You can pick up what you need at a place like Target. Shop around and get the size you'll need, and make sure the lid seals tightly. And that ain't rocket science, so don't pay extra for it.

I've been tempted to buy bulk grains, but I'd still need to go to the LHBS to get the caramels and the flaked oats and rye malt, and whatever else I needed batch-to-batch, plus the hops and yeast, so it really doesn't pay for me.
My LHBS has a deal where they let people buy a whole bag and just get as much add they want when they want it. I think they only do that with base grains.
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

Here is what my setup looks like, same mill just added a motor, pulley and extended the grain box..

Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Stinkfist wrote:Here is what my setup looks like, same mill just added a motor, pulley and extended the grain box..

Nice!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Sweet build!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Damn nice looking grain crusher setup! In fact it looks sturdier than the LHBS in my area have. Figuring out the pulley ratio to use, based on the motor's RPM and the RPM of the crusher, is the key to a good crush too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Wow, Stinkfist, that's amazing! I don't think I'd attempt something like that. If I get a variable-speed corded drill, it'll speed things up and still give me the hands-on feel I like.

bpgreen, I would think base grains in bulk would benefit everyone. I mean, why would anyone buy 25 pounds of 40L? And it also depends on the LHBS. My guys would gladly order me a 50 pound bag of 2 row, I've no doubt. Other guys, not so much, for whatever reasons they may have.

Having said that, it depends on how well they know their clientele. My LHBS also special-ordered me three hand-crafted six-pack holders with a bottle opener on them for my son-in-law to give to his groomsmen. They knew I would pick it up and pay for it if they got it for me. At the same time, I've seen the owner gripe about how somebody special-ordered some piece of equipment, and then not pick it up after several phone calls and a few months have gone by. They know I'm not that guy, so if I asked them to bulk-order some base grain, I don't think it'd be a problem.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer