Tell me why I need a refractometer

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Tell me why I need a refractometer

Post by Kealia »

I was at my LHBS the other day and they have them on sale which caught my attention. I don't have one, but I know what they do of course.
Aside from the ease of checking gravity with just a few drops, why do I want one?

Meaning, HOW do you use it? Example: Check pre-boil gravity? I've never done this because from day 1 (until my last 3 batches) I've been a BIAB brewer and never checked gravity until I was putting the beer in the fermenter. If I came up short on gravity I typically had enough room in the fermenter to boil up some DME and add it in.

If I check pre-boil gravity I suppose I could add DME at that point and not worry about adding additional volume....hmmmm.

Related question (since I still consider myself a newb in terms of using my mash tun): If I'm short on pre-boil gravity can I continue to sparge by recirculating my wort through the grain bed to increase gravity or do you end up losing something by doing that?

I may be creating more work for myself than necessary but these are the rambling of a man who is ready for it to be Friday night.
BlackDuck

Re: Tell me why I need a refractometer

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm in the same boat, so the reasons you tell Kealia he needs one are the same that I need one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Tell you why you need one?...You don't. Besides checking the gravity of runnings or of the boil on the spot with only a couple drops they are about useless because that is all they are good for. I have found mine to be iffy at times and I dont trust it. I only use my hydrometer now. I do not know why it became iffy but I used to use it reliably for pre boil gravities but that has changes over time and it has given me false readings of 1st runnings or from my boil to which I have made adjustments to my boil only to find I wasnt off.

You also need to use a chart along with it unless you have one that reads out in OG as well as typical brix. Brix 8snt even a standard brewers measrement anyway. I recomend do not waste your money...its just a fancy toy. Do buy yourself a high quality hydrometer and put the rest of the money into something else.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Of course you don't need one and it's just another useful tool for homebrewers. I have a good one and I do trust mine. It's off from my hydrometer by .02 but, my hydrometer is was bought in 1980. :)
I nerd out with it and check my mash when it's done then halfway thru the boil I check to see how close I am to my OG and can make adjustments if needed. Recently we did a brew and found out we were off more than normal and added some light DME to the boil the last 10 minutes and all was good.

http://homebrewacademy.com/why-use-refractometer/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's great input MadBrewer, thanks. And exactly what I am looking for in terms of practical hands-on feedback.

I guess in terms of checking pre-boil gravity with my hydrometer I could pull a sample at the start of the boil and put it in the fridge to chill to about 60 for a proper reading. Then, I could add and DME/LME (if needed) if I find myself short. Not sure why I haven't thought about that before but it's likely just because I've been more of a "what happens, happens" brewer. I've only adjusted using DME/LME a few times when I was REALLY off but I think I may start checking pre-boil gravity to adjust earlier going forward.

But now I'm taking my own thread too far off-topic. I'm curious to hear from others, too.
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

For just brewing you do not need it. If you also make wine it is handy as hell. I have found that it does make my brew day easier, checking gravity on the fly. I like not waiting for the wort to cool. Mine a temp corrects has dual scale brix/gravity. When you are not too concerned about the actual FG reading it is fine for determining that fermentation is finished.
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote:Of course you don't need one and it's just another useful tool for homebrewers. I have a good one and I do trust mine. It's off from my hydrometer by .02 but, my hydrometer is was bought in 1980. :)
1980? I think I was playing TRON in 1980 while you were playing with hydrometers. :p
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

braukasper wrote:For just brewing you do not need it. If you also make wine it is handy as hell. I have found that it does make my brew day easier, checking gravity on the fly. I like not waiting for the wort to cool. Mine a temp corrects has dual scale brix/gravity. When you are not too concerned about the actual FG reading it is fine for determining that fermentation is finished.
Thanks for your thoughts, too.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:Of course you don't need one and it's just another useful tool for homebrewers. I have a good one and I do trust mine. It's off from my hydrometer by .02 but, my hydrometer is was bought in 1980. :)
1980? I think I was playing TRON in 1980 while you were playing with hydrometers. :p
I first started brewing in 79 or 80 so yep, I'm old. Or I started brewing young. :jumpy:
I also remember watching the first MTV video when it first aired. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. That's so long ago that MTV actually played music videos!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Of course that is just my experience with it and opinion. But I got mine for the same reason Beer Lord mentioned. Its just another toy (I mean tool) to have for brewing. Im not sure, maybe mine got damaged somehow after all these years.

For what its worth heres what I do for a pre-boil hydro sample. Get a pyrex measuring cup wet on the outside, stick it in the freezer well before the time of boil. When you want to check your preboil gravity, pull enough to fill your hydro tube mine only needs like 6-8 oz. Put your sample in the ice cold pyrex cup and stir to chill. Once its as cooled as it will get you can take a reliable reading and correct it for temperature. I do the same thing for mash and boil ph samples except with shot glasses.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I have not spent the money yet because all those gravity readings really don't matter to me. If I miss, then I miss, I still drink the beer when it's done. It means that it just has a little less alcohol, no biggie for me.

Actually, the Session Simply Simarillo that is advancing to the final round was off in the OG, by quite a bit. It didn't seem to matter much on that one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

That is one good trick I forgot about is checking that the beer is done. The tool of measurement doesnt matter as long as the reading is consistant. Thats actually something I never do. Havent since maybe my first couple batches.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Love my refractometer. I BIAB and use it pre and post boil. It's harder to break than my hydrometer, haha. Like you Chris, I won't add DME or water if my numbers are off, just what to know what they are. I use only it per fermentation and my hydrometer post fermentation.

Where it really comes in handy is making starter wort. Some of y'all know I save extra wort from brew day in the fridge to make starters with. Most of the time the SG is 1.060 or higher so I'll cut it with some tap water and use my refractometer until I get a reading around 1.037-40.
Bring it to a boil for 10 minutes. Chill and pitch my yeast. Easy Peasy.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I use mine like Ink for my brew day. I BiaB, check post mash and post boil, then post fermentation, mostly so I know how things went. I don't sweat the numbers too much, but will sometimes top off if I'm high post boil, and only if I want a sessionable range. I could use my hydrometer, I guess, but the refractometer seems easier.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Like Ink and MrBandGuy I use mine pre and post boil. Although I "re-calibrate" mine monthly I haven't actually had to re set it yet. It's been dead on for... 20 months now. (sorry, had to go check)
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe