witbier from leftover?

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

witbier from leftover?

Post by zorak1066 »

got a mess of lme (unhopped) during a sale and am piecing together recipes to maximize use of full containers at a time between 2 batches. with the left over malt from one batch I was thinking of doing something like this:

batch 2.5 gallons, boil 2.5 gallons, boil time 60 mins.
yeast wlp400 witbier at about 68f.

2 lbs northern brewer lme wheat
.5 lb dme briess golden light
.30 lb quality honey
1 lb white wheat (partial mash)
.5 oz saaz 60 mins
.5 saaz 15 mins

does this sound about right for a kind of witbier?

thanks in advance..

the 'logic' I have for the white wheat addition is that the lme is a blend of wheat and pale I think. golden light is essentially just 2 row pale. I want to bump up the wheat to balance the pale content.

sweet orange peel .5 oz and coriander .5 oz both added in last 5 mins.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: witbier from leftover?

Post by mashani »

It sounds good to me mostly. You are keeping a good ratio of wheat with your additions, which will help it seem more "wit". You are a perhaps a bit strong in the late saaz addition, and the orange and coriander department, depending on how much you like those things. Some people would not like that much. You could reduce those to half as much or 2/3rds as much. I might go with 3/4oz saaz as bittering and 1/4oz as the @15. Saaz AAUs tend to be pretty low, and the yeast is already spicy.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Myup, yup...

Also, check your White Wheat to insure it is malted as opposed to unmalted.

Malted has diastatic power for conversion, whereas unmalted does not and is considered an adjunct and requires another grain in the partial mash such as 2-row to provide the diastatic power needed.

:cool:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I just brewed a nice Belgian Witbier on Saturday, it's fermenting at 68F with WLP-400 too. I used Pilsner malt for the base and added a little Munich malt too. This time I used torrified Wheat and a pound of Flaked Oats. Like George pointed out go easy on the crushed coriander, I use a .5 teaspoon in a 10 gallon batch, for the 'citrus' flavor. For spice I used .5 teaspoon of crushed Cardamon seed and noble hops. I'll admit this time I added 4 ounces of fresh orange zest and .5 an ounce of dried bitter orange peel. Every time I open the chest freezer I get hit with a delicious aroma of fresh oranges, in about 2 weeks I'll be drinking this beer and I can hardly wait. Also, I add the orange zest, cardamon, coriander and dried orange peel at 10 minutes before flameout.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

thanks all... much appreciated.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I haven't brewed a Witbier in a long time, this makes me want to brew one for the summer.
Brew Strong My Friends...