How do you get to pitching temp?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

kbenton00

Re: How do you get to pitching temp?

Post by kbenton00 »

A couple of bags of ice in a cooler with some water and the circulate that through my chiller using a sump pump. Cools down to @68 in 20 minutes or so. Saves on water. Being in California this helps the water bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

I have a 200 ft deep well. With my recirculating immersion chiller I get down to 60 in 10 - 15 mins
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Well, today I chilled down to about 90* with my CFC (that came with the Grainfather), then put it in my wine fridge to cool down...because my cold tap water was about 80* today.

I'm thinking that I'm going to use my old immersion chiller as a pre-chiller, running my cold tap water through it sitting in a bucket of ice water before running it through the CFC. Doing that while having both the wort coming out slowly and the tap water moving through slowly ought to let me get the wort chilled down relatively quickly...or at least get down to pitching temps without waiting for the wort to sloooowly cool down in my wine fridge.

Alternatively, I might go back to no-chill brewing...at least for some styles.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Reading through these, it's pretty easy to tell who lives somewhere where water is scarce.