Mr Beer Punkin LAger Question

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Mr Beer Punkin LAger Question

Post by ssorck »

I've got 2 LBK's to bottle either tomorrow or Saturday so I'll be brewing this weekend.

I happen to LOVE Pumpkin ales, so I plan on doing 2 batches of Mr. Beer Punkin Lager recipe, except I'm going to double the canned pumpkin for each, going from 8 oz. to the full 16 oz. can. Will probably also change the spices a bit too, maybe use straight pumpkin pie spice instead of mulling spice as directed.

Anyway my question is the recipe calls for the pumpkin to be added while brewing. Do you think I should add it when directed or wait 1 week into fermentation and the the pumpkin as a late addition?

Of course I could always do one at brewing, one 1 week into fermentation and compare the results...

Thoughts?
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mr Beer Punkin LAger Question

Post by Bluejaye »

We have a discussion here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56 that you might find useful.

I also wondered about adding the pumpkin on brew day or later on as a late addition. I decided to add it on brew day, mostly because I forgot how *thick* pumpkin puree is. I couldn't think of a good way to add it later and be able to mix it well in the beer without oxygenating it.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

If this is the first time you've brewed this recipe most folks would suggest brewing it according to the recipe. Since you have two batches worth you have a choice of making one straight up and the other per your plans or waiting until the first one is ready and adjusting the second batch to your tastes. There may be a valid reason why you should not put twice as much of the pumkin in there. If you take notes on brew day about what you changed/added it will give you a reference for future batches.

Also if I recall from other pumpkin related posts yeast love the stuff and tend to spew krausen when feeding on it. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Good call on the thickness of the pumpkin Bluejaye...didn't even think of that.

So I think I'm going to replace the Tbsp of Mulling spices with Pumpkin Pie spice, mainly because I've already got it and I'm not going to search all over creation for the mulling spices. I maybe will also add a 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon...

I'm gonna do both batches at the same time, one with 8 oz. approx as per the directions and one with a full 15 oz. can. We'll see which turns out better!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

I definitely want to know how the full can version turns out for you.
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

So I brewed both batches this past Monday...

Followed the Mr. Beer instruction except:

I used 2 cans Libbys Pumpkin, 15 oz cans. Spread each on its own baking sheet and sprinkled w/ a 1/4 tsp each pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and nutmeg over each. Then baked at 375 for 20 minutes to caramelize a bit. One batch got 1/2 can the other batch got a full can worth of baked pumpkin. added the pumpkin to the wort instead of directly into the LBK's, figured it would be easier to stir in that way...

Changed the spices in the wort too as I don't have mulling spices, for each LBK did 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg. Boiled them for 5 minutes before adding the HME & LME. Didn't bother sacking them, just threw it in.

Also re-hydrated the yeast for these batches. Still took a good 24 hours for krausen to start so I'm not really sure that made a huge difference.

Checked on them this morning (6 days) and the keg with a full can the krausen is almost gone, the 1/2 can keg still has krausen. I was surprised I thought the 1/2 can would die down quicker.

I'm using the 48 qt. swamp cooler method during the 1st week and when I opened the coolers they both smelled AMAZING, especially the keg with the full can. Decided it would be prudent to pull a gravity sample from the full can batch (Really to sneak a taste!). Started at 1.039, down to 1.01 in 6 days. Will leave them alone for the next 2 weeks. But the taste is great, still obviously a bit sour and cidery but the spices are dead on. This is gonna be a great brew!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Glad it worked. I'm surprised that you didn't get a big blow out on the krausen too. I was looking forward to the pics. :lol:
Sibling Brewers