Skagit Valley Malting

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Skagit Valley Malting

Post by alb »

http://skagitvalleymalting.com/

Any of y'all in the Northwest using these malts? I've been reading good things here and there. They do custom malting using local varietals. They don't have direct sales to individuals but they offered to speak to my LHBS about ordering and he said he is interested, so I'm hoping to get my hands on a batch one of these days.

Read some of their web pages, they sound like something worth supporting.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Skagit Valley Malting

Post by Rebel_B »

Yes, I've brewed with the Copeland & Alba malts; stocked at my LHBS. They are good people at Skagit Valley malts, & they are passionate about their business. I posted this back in March:
[quote="Rebel_B"]My local Homebrew club had an interesting guest speaker at a meet this evening. Skagit Valley Malting's ( http://skagitvalleymalting.com/about-us/ ) sales leader spoke about the local grown varieties of barley they are malting, the process they use for their small batches, and working with local farmers to try different heirloom varieties with unique flavors.
We tasted several of their base malt varieties, as well as a tasty Munich malt. They have a little one barrel brewery there as well, brewing up SMaSH beers to get feedback on different varieties. Got an invite to go there & visit. Our LHBS has two of the malts on hand, with a third arriving on Monday.
I'm going to try some of these malts in some homebrews this spring!Image
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel