Pricey but cool

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Pricey but cool

Post by alb »

http://brewometer.net/products/brewometer

Has anybody tried this yet?
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Pricey but cool

Post by John Sand »

No. The link didn't work for me, but I searched it. I found a widget that floats in your wort and reports temperature and gravity to your phone. That is cool. How much does it cost?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Interesting. Not for me, but interesting all the same. I'm pretty much old-school in most aspects of my brewing. I do use BrewToad to formulate and save recipes, but I print out those recipes and keep them in a looseleaf binder. When the Technological Apocalypse hits (and it will...oh, it will), I'll still have my recipes handy and I will be the homebrew king! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! :evil:
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

alb wrote:http://brewometer.net/products/brewometer

Has anybody tried this yet?
Here's the link in working form...

http://brewometer.net/products/brewometer

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

As a geek it's kind of cool.

As a poor geek, it's not cool enough.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

$120 / 7 = 17. I can break 17 real hydrometers before breakeven... :lol:
Last edited by RickBeer on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm a tech/geek/semi-nerd but this isn't for me. But if they want me to beta test one, I'm your man.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

See this is one of my gripes with all these new homebrewing apps and such. (WARNING: Grumpy Old Man rant to follow)

Is it necessary to have something that tracks your beer's gravity throughout the fermentation process and sends updates to your cell phone? How does this make you a better homebrewer? How does this improve your beer, especially if you effed up your mash temperature or strike temperature, or your water is too acidic or too soft?

In some ways, it's just a toy. A really expensive toy that doesn't seem to really improve the process or the finished product.

Feel free to discuss.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

FedoraDave wrote:See this is one of my gripes with all these new homebrewing apps and such. (WARNING: Grumpy Old Man rant to follow)

Is it necessary to have something that tracks your beer's gravity throughout the fermentation process and sends updates to your cell phone? How does this make you a better homebrewer? How does this improve your beer, especially if you effed up your mash temperature or strike temperature, or your water is too acidic or too soft?

In some ways, it's just a toy. A really expensive toy that doesn't seem to really improve the process or the finished product.

Feel free to discuss.
I can see it being a fun thing for someone to see how their beer progresses--is it for me? Not for $120!

But if I were given one as a beta tester or the like, I'd use it. If someone gave it to me as a gift, I'd likely return it.

I don't think it will help make better beer--but it might let you optimize your pipeline and production by letting you package your beer as soon as its at a stable FG. Hmmm, something like this might be worthwhile for production breweries, actually--moreso than homebrewers, anyway...since they could get real value out of it.

So I don't think it's a waste of a device, I just think it's a very niche device. I also wonder how well it transmits its signal through a SS fermentor or a big ol' fridge/chest freezer that a lot of homebrewers ferment in.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I see two benefits: If you want quick turnaround, you'll know when it is done without opening your fermenter. (I'm happy just to wait three weeks) But it would be nice to track temperature throughout the ferment. On another thread, Mash and I were discussing temps of a Belgian. I honestly don't know how warm it got, because I was in NYC during the early phase.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm happy to wait three weeks, too. I've got three carboys, and I brew every week, so there's your 21-day rotation right there. I check the FG before I package each batch, because I like to know the ABV. So I'm only opening the carboy once, and taking a 2-3 ounce sample. No big loss.

As far as the temperature throughout, that may be more important for certain batches. I've had a saison working for two weeks now, and the temperature swings are something I just can't control. It's been in the mid-high 70s, though, for the most part, and since I can't really control the variables, I just RDWHAHB. For lagers, I have a fridge with a Johnson Controller, so no worries there. The rest of my batches sit in my basement, which stays in the mid-60s most of the time. It works for me; my beer is good beer in those conditions.

Jon makes a good point about production breweries getting some use out of it, and how it's more of a niche device. I just can't see a need for it in my own brewing.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I use fully enclosed SS fermenters and kinda miss the visual aspect of fermentation. I might could use something like this. I really hate having to open the fermenter 3 times to get hydro samples and take a chance on infection. Once I pitch the yeast the only time I have to open is that. After I get my reading everything is sealed beer movement. I might have to get a couple. A bit pricy, but if it works I could get behind something of the like.

Update, I showed this to my wife and she agrees with my not having to open the fermenter , so she is getting me one for my birthday. The only thing she complained about was the $5 shipping ( and then she laughed). I will post updates in a month.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Happy birthday to you!!! Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I will do. It has gotten great reviews on HBT
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I might just have to pick one up for the simple fact that it will only cost $20.00 plus shipping. Have $100 Visa gift card, in ref to another thread it is kept in a RFID blocking wallet.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013