Adding oak chips - A few questions

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Adding oak chips - A few questions

Post by FedoraDave »

I've read about oak chip additions, and assume it's a way to get some barrel-aged influence without using a barrel. I'm becoming intrigued about this technique, and want to try making a different type of beer than what I've been brewing; just to shake my own world up a bit. I have a style/recipe in mind, but I have some questions before I go too much further in this pursuit. Any help would be most welcome.

1) Since the style I'll be working with will be a rye APA, I'm wondering exactly what to expect from the oak chip addition. Mellowing? A rounder mouthfeel? What, exactly, do oak chips bring to the table?

2) When would the addition be made? At the same time as dry-hopping (i.e. about four or five days before bottling/kegging)?

3) Would it require additional conditioning time, which would then potentially influence the dry-hop/aroma/character of an APA?

4) I'm not looking for a bourbon-barrel influence, but can the chips be added dry, or should they be soaked in something, even if it's just water?

5) What would be a good amount for a 2.5 gallon batch?

6) Is an oak addition even a good idea for a rye APA? If so, why? If not, why not?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Adding oak chips - A few questions

Post by Gymrat »

The whole point to oak chips is to simulate a beer that fermented in a used bourbon barrel. I don't know how they would taste in an IPA. When I do my Bourbon barrel stout once a year I soak 2 oz of oak chips in a pint of whiskey for a week before I brew. Then I dump it all in the fermenter the second week so primary fermentation is done. I suppose you could do the same thing with vodka for an IPA. Accept I would stick with maybe 8 oz of the vodka. That way you wouldn't taste the liquor only the oak. I use a pint of the whiskey because I want the flavor of the whiskey in my stout.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I agree with Gymrat.

OR I will just throw this out there as an "easy mode" answer to getting some oak character in your beer - one day you should try a batch just using WLP013 (London Ale) and ferment with it around 68-70 degrees. See what you think of that. The esters it makes when warm are very "oak" like.

OR another thing you might want to try one day is some of this stuff:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/weyermann ... wheat-malt

I hate smoked beers, but I've decided that I love that stuff in moderation.

Not saying you shouldn't do the oak chip thing too, just maybe that you should try those others and see which of them you like the best going forward.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've read on another forum, a few recipes that include oak chips in an IPA. I'm pretty sure they soaked them in vodka or gin first before adding them.
I bought some to try and never used them but I think I asked here or the Mr. Beer forums for advice. I know everything I said was to use less than more and for a short period of time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I have also taken a gallon while kegging and racked it to secondary with an oak addition for about a week. Then bottled those.

I'd have to look at my notes, but I think it was 2 oz of chips to 1/2 or 1 oz of bourbon soaked for 5-7 days. I've done this with a stout, a porter, and a scotch ale. I always wanted the bourbon flavor, so don't know what oak alone will bring.

You could use vodka, and just enough to cover the chips. I think it's to sanitize them more than anything else.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

MrBandGuy wrote:I have also taken a gallon while kegging and racked it to secondary with an oak addition for about a week. Then bottled those.

I'd have to look at my notes, but I think it was 2 oz of chips to 1/2 or 1 oz of bourbon soaked for 5-7 days. I've done this with a stout, a porter, and a scotch ale. I always wanted the bourbon flavor, so don't know what oak alone will bring.

You could use vodka, and just enough to cover the chips. I think it's to sanitize them more than anything else.
It isn't to sanitize. It is to extract the oak flavor. Just like when you soak vanilla beans, orange peel, coriander, or anything else in Vodka. I am sure it sanitizes also, but so will the beer after primary fermentation is done.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Gymrat wrote:I am sure it sanitizes also, but so will the beer after primary fermentation is done.
The beer will make it resistant to stuff, but it won't "sanitize". It's mostly a matter of what bugs get thrown in with the chips. IE if some types of Brett or a Sacc var. diastaticus strain happened to be on those chips, they would possibly get involved and ferment your beer a bit more. Acetobacter would be another potential bad thing because it eats alcohol. Beer levels of alcohol don't kill it.

So I'd vodka it to be safe - not just for the flavor extraction.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

The few times I have used oak I steamed it.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Great Divide makes an awesome Oak Aged IPA called: Rumble

It uses Northwest hops that provide a balance of Citrus and Pine against some caramel malt and notes of caramel, vanilla and bourbon from a blend of French and American oaks upon which it is aged in secondary.

It's a really good IPA and I suggest you all try to get ya some...

Not sure if I would use Rye in it as the added spice from the rye might not play nice within the overall balance... But who knows... It could work in small amounts.

:cool:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Great responses! Thanks large, everyone. I'm going to continue to mull this over in my mind before working up a recipe/process, and I'll be going over it with my LHBS guys, too. I may not like the resultant beer; who knows. But I like to brew a small experimental batch now and then, just to keep myself from sinking into a rut. I like my current recipes, and I keep them in the pipeline because they're tried and true and they make me happy. But having a hobby that allows me to shake things up a bit and go to the fringe is a neat thing.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

These are oak chips we soaked in bourbon for over a week and added to a stout today in the brite tank at work. It definitely mellowed the beer flavor out and provides some nice caramelly and vanilla notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Gymrat wrote:
It isn't to sanitize. It is to extract the oak flavor.
See? That's why I said "I think". And know I know...I was wrong. :whistle:
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Here's my experience having oaked with chips multiple times in IPAs and Barleywines;
FedoraDave wrote:1) Since the style I'll be working with will be a rye APA, I'm wondering exactly what to expect from the oak chip addition. Mellowing? A rounder mouthfeel? What, exactly, do oak chips bring to the table?
Having never oaked the rye IPAs I've brewed ... I'd expect oak to sharpen what rye brings to the recipe.
May turn out to be too much of a good thing.
FedoraDave wrote:2) When would the addition be made? At the same time as dry-hopping (i.e. about four or five days before bottling/kegging)?
Two weeks in primary.
Rack to 2ndary ... add chips and d-hops.
Rest one week.
FedoraDave wrote:3) Would it require additional conditioning time, which would then potentially influence the dry-hop/aroma/character of an APA?
Additional conditioning time was not my experience.
FedoraDave wrote:4) I'm not looking for a bourbon-barrel influence, but can the chips be added dry, or should they be soaked in something, even if it's just water?
Soak the chips in bourbon or vodka for a week or steam 30 secs in a microwave to sanitize.
In either case ... pitch the chips along with the liquid as I do ... or not.
FedoraDave wrote:5) What would be a good amount for a 2.5 gallon batch?
One ounce ... bagged.
FedoraDave wrote:6) Is an oak addition even a good idea for a rye APA? If so, why? If not, why not?
Matter of taste.
Don't unless you're trying to super-charge what the rye has to offer.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I like those responses, Herb. Good stuff to think about.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

philm00x wrote: These are oak chips we soaked in bourbon for over a week and added to a stout today in the brite tank at work. It definitely mellowed the beer flavor out and provides some nice caramelly and vanilla notes.
Where is the picture of Phil drinking the bourbon that was leftover after the oak chips were removed? :o
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)