Lagunitas IPA Clone

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Lagunitas IPA Clone

Post by MadBrewer »

I haven't brewed many of them, but I have been thinking about brewing an IPA. Half the batch will be kegged (for me) the other half or a full case of bottles will be a present for a friend. Lagunitas may not be the best IPA out there or even the top example of the style but it was in fact one of the first IPA's I tried that I really enjoyed. I have been eyeballing the CYBI recipe from the Brewing Network for a while now. I think it's finally time to get brewing it.

This recipe that the guys on the Jamil show got from Lagunitas was deemed cloned, so I have been reviewing it and I think I'll be brewing it on Sunday. Anyone ever brew it?

-From HBT:

"All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil if 60min boil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1060
FG 1020 (target of 1018)
9 SRM
46.8 IBU

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 at 66F, increase to 70 over 5-6 days to increase attenuation due to 002 being a low attenuator.

10.9 lbs US 2-row
0.87 lbs wheat malt
0.82 lbs munich
0.55 lbs crystal 60
1.3 lbs crystal 10

4g summit 18.5%AA at 60m
10g horizon %AA at 60m
23g Williamette 4.75%AA at 30min
11g Centennial 9%AA at 30min
34g Cascade 5.75%AA at 1m
21g Cascade dry hop for 5 days
21g Centennial dry hop for 5 days

Mash at 160F [yep, that's no typo. I had to replay it myself.]

Added unkown quantity of gypsum to kettle.

Jamil noted that if he rebrewed he would mash at 158F to hit the SG. He thinks that 160F may be too high on his particular system."
Brew Strong My Friends...
philm00x

Re: Lagunitas IPA Clone

Post by philm00x »

Wow.. Crazy high mash temp. I never really noticed their IPA to be full bodied. More medium. But it is a damn good IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have always found some nice body and mouthfeel in their beers. Not overly sweet just tipping toward richer, fuller body. Most of there beers are above 6% so they all drink a little bigger to me. So that crazy high mash temp seems fitting but still hard to believe for a IPA. And that is straight from the head brewer Jeremy in the interview. I have listened to that podcast several times.

I have to convert this recipe,.scale it and adjust it. I actually wont be getting to it this weekend but it is on the list. I havent brewed an IPA of my own that I was impressed with so I am hoping this changes that once I do brew it.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Did he say how long the mash was? I think I remember reading somewhere that a brewery was mashing at a high temp like that, but only mashed for 30 minutes or so. I can't remember the details, it's been awhile since I read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

BlackDuck wrote:Did he say how long the mash was? I think I remember reading somewhere that a brewery was mashing at a high temp like that, but only mashed for 30 minutes or so. I can't remember the details, it's been awhile since I read that.
I know a lot of brewers, maybe even breweries that mash shorter when they mash at high temps but I do not recall the interview with Lagunitas mentioning a short mash. I go 60min with everything, that hour goes by fast while I'm doing other things for the brew session. Sometimes a few more minutes might be needed for a very low mash temp.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The highest I've mashed is 157 for a stout. It was ok but the just ok rating I gave it had nothing to do with the mash (it was an ingredients problem). I've never seen a recipe with a mash that high.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I did a Scottish 60 years ago and mashed at 160*. It was only like a 1.038 OG beer so I wanted to get the body and mouth feel in there. I have done Porters and Stouts in the 156-158* range but never anything lighter or hoppier this high. I have always heard it rumored they mashed that high for the IPA and now the interview puts truth to that.

If anyone is interested or likes Lagunitas in general, this interview was a great listen. Jeremy is a very cool and passes on a lot about the brewery and the beers...the IPA in particular of course.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1593/
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I'm thinking about brewing this in the morning. I went to the LHBS today and got 2 different recipes and some other things. I have a few beers I just didnt' get to this summer so I'm doing a little something I haven't done a long time. I'm going to brew some small batches to get myself "caught up". So I have a 3 gal recipe of the Lagunitas IPA clone and I picked up everything for a 3 gal batch of my Pale Ale. Each will give me about a case of bottles which will be perfect. I won't be kegging these batches.

So I'll be updating the recipe later and noting the brew day tomorrow.
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Beer-lord wrote:The highest I've mashed is 157 for a stout. It was ok but the just ok rating I gave it had nothing to do with the mash (it was an ingredients problem). I've never seen a recipe with a mash that high.
I've gone as high as 163* for 30' followed by a mash-out for low-gravity beers that I really want to have some body. It's surprising, the beers really don't end up overly full-bodied--but then, they're 6-7 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch, so I think it just counteracts the fact that it'd be thinner just from the amount of grains you're using--not as many starches or proteins vs the amount of water to give it that body vs a normal beer that would have 8-12 lbs of grain in it.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

This is the recipe I found in an article I found on BYO. https://byo.com/hops/item/153-attack-of-the-hop-clones I edited the recipe a bit to fit my system. I'm also going to use US-05 instead of the wlp001.

Unfortunately, the hops I ordered didn't arrive today. I guess I'll have to brew this one after work during the week or next weekend.

Beer Recipes

Lagunitas IPA clone
(Lagunitas Brewing)
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.059  FG = 1.015
IBU = 67  SRM = 9  ABV = 5.7%

Ingredients
11.33 lbs. (5.1 kg) 2-row pale malt
0.4 lbs. (0.18 kg) dextrine malt
0.3 lbs. (0.14 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
0.2 lbs. (91 g) light Munich malt (4 °L)
8.25 AAU Horizon hops (60 mins)
    (0.75 oz./21 g of 11% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Cascades hops (30 mins)
    (0.90 oz./26 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
1.25 AAU Willamette hops (30 mins)
    (0.25 oz./7.1 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
15.75 AAU Cascade hops (0 min)
    (3.15 oz./89 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White
    Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast (I'm going to use US-05)

Step by Step
Masth at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as indicated in the ingredient list. After the boil, let the wort sit for 15 minutes before cooling. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Extract option:
Replace pale malt with 5 lbs. 9 oz. (2.5 kg) of light dried malt extract and 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt. Steep crushed pale malt and other malts in 76 oz. (2.2 L) of water at 154 °F (68 °C) for 45 minutes.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Wlp001, wy1056, US-05 are all the Chico strain, so you're just using the dry version of the yeast instead of the liquid.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Ray, I forgot to mention I am also using US-05...I am just not a liquid yeast user. Might make it a slightly different beer but not a big deal to me. The brewery is probably using that more for mouthfeel and flocculation that anything. They ferment cool so they arent pulling out the English esters or anything.

I had a great brewday. Hit a good mash ph, hit my temps, volumes and gravities on the money. OG was 1.060
The only thing is I ran out of Gypsum so didnt add as much as I was intending for 100 + ppm of Sulfate. But again, good enough.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Here is the recipe I'm planning on brewing. I tweeked the numbers to match my system a bit.

Recipe

Lagunitas IPA

American IPA
All Grain (5.50 gal) ABV: 5.92 %
OG: 1.059 SG FG: 1.014 SG
IBUs: 66.8 IBUs Color: 6.8 SRM
By:
(Private): Mark Recipe Shared
Ingredients

Mash@153 for 60 minutes

10 lb 8.0 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) US Mash addition (89.6%) - 2.0 SRM

4.8oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
Mash addition (4.3%) - 60.0 SRM

6.4 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
 Mash addition (3.4%) - 2.0 SRM

5.1 oz - Munich Malt
 Mash addition (2.7%) - 9.0 SRM

90 Minute boil

0.75 oz - Horizon
Boil 60 min (28.0 IBUs)

1.00 oz - Cascade
Boil 30 min (18.0 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Willamette
Boil 30 min (3.3 IBUs)

1.00 Items - Whirlfloc Tablet
Boil 15 min

1.00 Items - wort Chiller
Boil 15 min

3.00 oz - Cascade
Steep/whirlpool 15 min (17.4 IBUs)
 Planning on a hop stand/whirlpool

Ferment for 3 weeks @68 degrees

1.5 pkg - Safale American
DCL/Fermentis #US-05

It's interesting that the recipe I'm following does not have a dry hop. I'm wondering if it's because of the large dose of hops for the hop stand?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

RayF wrote:It's interesting that the recipe I'm following does not have a dry hop. I'm wondering if it's because of the large dose of hops for the hop stand?
You can get really nice flavor/aroma from a big hop stand. The flavor/aroma seems more stable to me over time too. Often that's all I do because of my house Brett. Since it will eat stuff the regular yeast will not, opening my fermenters to dry hop is always dangerous.

That said, it will be different then a dry hop. Maybe not better or worse, but different. I'm happy enough doing it, but some people might feel like they are missing something if what is "different" is what they are looking for, especially when the beer is fresh.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I think you'll be happy with the results. I have the same experience in terms of stability and flavor/aroma as mashani does.