First outdoor brewing experience

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

tomtravelino

First outdoor brewing experience

Post by tomtravelino »

Today I brewed up a batch outside for the first time. All went smoothly other than just doing a new routine. I borrowed a buddies burner as he uses it only once year and it sure was nice getting temps and boiling up and going much faster. Not to mention the wife appreciates no smell less to clean up.
Attachments
20130902_092603-1.jpg
20130902_092603-1.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Beer-lord

Re: First outdoor brewing experience

Post by Beer-lord »

Nice! While I do miss the 'weather' in my kitchen, I do feel that I have more space and less concern about the mess in my kitchen.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Glad to hear everything went smoothly for you.

Can't figure out why so many SWMBOs don't like the smell of brew day. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

If it wasn't such a pain I would love to drag my equipment to the patio so I could watch the boil from my air conditioned kitchen. The burners do make the job so much easier don't they.
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

I'm in the dog house.....ehmmm I mean the garage due to an incident with our new stove last year. The weather can be a pain sometimes but I sure do enjoy it when it's nice out, don't have to worry about every little spill.
Texas Dan

Post by Texas Dan »

My wife finally ran me out of the kitchen too. Didn't like the smell of the hops..
Probably a good thing as I couldn't get a decent boil on the glass top anyway.
My first patio experience didn't go "quite" as well though. I bought a 185,000 BTU burner thinking I would shortly move up from 3 gal batches in a small pot.
Couldn't get the burner turned down enough to stop the boil over, and those metal pot handles sure do get hot from the flames.
Learned a very important lesson.. Always use pot holders !!! Luckily the wort washed off easily and I've gotten the burner semi under control.
Fermenting:
Lagering: #41-Klosterbier
Conditioning: #40 Ayinger Jahrhundertbier
Drinking: #33-Ayinger Style Hefe, #34-Klosterbier, #35-Special Märzen. #36-Munchener Helles, #37-Fest Bier, #38-Bavarian Hefeweizen, #39-Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Hell
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

The kids complain more than swmbo does but she enjoys the finished product. It was a bit of a pain dragging it outside but since everything is in the basement it was only a little further out the patio door. Luckily the weather was perfect yesterday which made it all the more enjoyable. Now Chicago winters could make it interesting.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Nice! Nothing like brewing outdoors or in the garage. Especially since it is a lot more quiet out there. No SWMBO or kids constantly saying "What is that SMELL?!?". It took all of about 2 seconds to get approval for the first propane burner from the CFO when I told her it would get me out of the kitchen...
:evil: :muahaha:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build