StarSan - powerful stuff - note of caution

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

StarSan - powerful stuff - note of caution

Post by RickBeer »

A few years back I switched to StarSan instead of One-Step / Easy Clean. I like how it lasts a few months. Also a few years back I brought a brand new pair of tongs, nice Farberware ones with rubber handles. This time when I was brewing I noticed a copper-like color on the tongs and looked at them closer. The chrome coating was coming off. I then thought back to some previous batches were little particles were in the StarSan bucket, I thought it was some grain bits, I now believe it was chrome.

When I brew I use the tongs to pick things up from inside the StarSan bucket. I leave them in the bucket for the brewing session, so they're getting 4 or 5 hours of soaking. Clearly that's going to stop, I will not keep them submersed.

Farberware is sending me a new set (lifetime warranty), but I wanted to make sure that people are checking their utensils to make sure whatever chemicals they use aren't eating away at them. Who knows what's in my beer or what it does (I may turn into Wolverine...).
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Beer-lord

Re: StarSan - powerful stuff - note of caution

Post by Beer-lord »

That's not good. I've had Star San in old milk jugs that developed weakness at the bottom and leaked when SS sat in them for more than a week or so.
On another note, I've learned that SS lasts very much longer in RO water.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I still use Easy Clean (it's the same thing as One-Step, but 33% less in price). It doesn't tear up my skin. StarSan, even diluted turns my skin dry/red and cracked. So I avoid it. I know it doesn't affect a lot of people that way, but it's why I've not switched.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I thought Easy Clean was just a cleanser and not a sanitizer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

[quote][/Who knows what's in my beer or what it does (I may turn into Wolverine...)quote]
RickBeer Wolverine.jpg
RickBeer Wolverine.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 13651 times
ZOIKES Aren't you bristly enough? :o
Sibling Brewers
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I bought a gallon and had it in my office. I think it got a pinhole in it and leaked out. By the time I found it, it had removed the linoleum tiles and started breaking the concrete down to dust. took forever to get it diluted enough to repair the concrete.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Whamolagan wrote:it had removed the linoleum tiles and started breaking the concrete down to dust.
China Syndrome!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, remember this stuff is acid-based if I'm not mistaken. With a 30-second contact time to sanitize there's no need to be keeping tongs (or anything) in there during the entire brew day. I understand that this is likely a convenience of having somewhere to put things, but given the strength of this stuff that should be avoided.

I keep mine around for 2 weeks post-brewing to cover kegging, etc. then dump it and start a new batch so it doesn't eat my plastic bucket.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Brewbirds wrote:
[/Who knows what's in my beer or what it does (I may turn into Wolverine...)quote]
RickBeer Wolverine.jpg
ZOIKES Aren't you bristly enough? :o
Rick, DUDE!

That Wolverine has GOT 2 BE your New Avatar!

:cool:
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:I thought Easy Clean was just a cleanser and not a sanitizer.
Technically, neither one step nor easy clean can be labeled as a sanitizer. That's largely because of the cost of getting it certified as stich.

I know one step used to be labeled that way, but I'm not sure about ready clean.

Many brewers have used them as sanitizers for years. One or the other is included with many kits from a variety of vendors.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Northern Brewer's site says, "No-rinse oxygen-based cleanser for all beer-brewing and wine-making equipment. Safe for all materials.

Best when used in combination with a dedicated sanitizer like Star San."
Not that it makes them right, just follows what I've always heard over the years.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:Northern Brewer's site says, "No-rinse oxygen-based cleanser for all beer-brewing and wine-making equipment. Safe for all materials.

Best when used in combination with a dedicated sanitizer like Star San."
Not that it makes them right, just follows what I've always heard over the years.
They just want to sell you more stuff. It is really the same thing as one-step, it works and acts identically, and as BPGreen mentioned it comes in some kits LD Carlson makes as the sanitizer agent, which are sold in homebrew stores everywhere.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I'd have to search for a ton of older threads/posts but I believe the one step type no rinse powders become hydrogen peroxide once the water is added and that does have antiseptic properties.

If you mix the star san product in distilled water it will not "go bad" because the sanitizing effect is achieved through making an un-supportive PH enviroment for our un-wanted bugs to grow in and the mineral content of tap water is what ruins it.

I have a store bought gallon water jug that has had star san in it for over a year and a half and it hasn't bled/leaked/melted, it was mixed with distilled water and is still clear as a bell. Even though I'm not brewing right now I still use the star san for stuff in the kitchen like cutting boards.

No company's lawyers will let them make claims about the safety of their products when discussing consumables and sanitation.

I'll be sure and let you guys know if I die from unsanitary conditions. :p
Sibling Brewers
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

Brewbirds wrote: I'll be sure and let you guys know if I die from unsanitary conditions. :p
How will you do that if you're dead? A post from beyond the grave? :lol:
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The old bird will haunt us from the beyond. Not a promising future. :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)