Just thunkin... ouch...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Just thunkin... ouch...

Post by FrozenInTime »

My garden, some plants, went crazy this year. Most I've found uses for and have pickled/can'd like crazy. Anyways, my watermelon plants went nuts. I have given away truck loads of them, I still have 12-14 left in the garden. It's been below freezin already, going to be there again real soon. My question, can I use these, remove flesh/juice to make wine with? I have heard of watermelon wine but don't have a clue on where to start/process. Anyone got any ideas, recipes, etc?

I've got a recipe worked up for the jalapeno brewski, probably do that Tuesday. Fixed up about 100 poppers today, cooked a dozen up. Man, I think my wife wants to do me in.... yea, my fault. I did a bad job of de-seeding/de-veining some.... ooopps... a couple were so hot it sent both of us spinning, could not get to the milk fast enough. Now, I can take the heat, love hot food but OMG, my peppers are freaking HOT... LOL. I doubt she eats any more of my poppers for a while. They are sooooo good though.

Back to the wine, any ideas?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Just thunkin... ouch...

Post by mashani »

I don't know for sure about the wine, but it might be tasty/fun to use 6 gallons of watermelon juice as your "water" in a wheat beer or Belgian WIT like beer, or a light lager of some sort or a saison even.

Anyways, this web site tells you what you need to make various fruit wines and has some instructions you can click on down at the bottom. Maybe it helps.

http://www.eckraus.com/homemade-wine-making-recipes

Select watermelon in the drop down box.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Re: Just thunkin... ouch...

Post by jimjohson »

FrozenInTime wrote:My garden, some plants, went crazy this year. Most I've found uses for and have pickled/can'd like crazy. Anyways, my watermelon plants went nuts. I have given away truck loads of them, I still have 12-14 left in the garden. It's been below freezin already, going to be there again real soon. My question, can I use these, remove flesh/juice to make wine with? I have heard of watermelon wine but don't have a clue on where to start/process. Anyone got any ideas, recipes, etc?

I've got a recipe worked up for the jalapeno brewski, probably do that Tuesday. Fixed up about 100 poppers today, cooked a dozen up. Man, I think my wife wants to do me in.... yea, my fault. I did a bad job of de-seeding/de-veining some.... ooopps... a couple were so hot it sent both of us spinning, could not get to the milk fast enough. Now, I can take the heat, love hot food but OMG, my peppers are freaking HOT... LOL. I doubt she eats any more of my poppers for a while. They are sooooo good though.

Back to the wine, any ideas?

When I get back to work Wednesday I'll look up a watermelon wine recipe.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe