Thinking about a Grainfather (Updated FYI)

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Thinking about a Grainfather (Updated FYI)

Post by alb »

I have a Zymatic, and it's great for 2.5-gal batches. It lets me focus on other things (school) while it takes my recipes through the brew cycle. With brew size being limited, most times I brew twice to get 5 gallons total. Hops additions are also limited, and efficiency can be low in some programs. The brewing program can be customized but I haven't had the inclination to mess with the recipe software much. The anemic output of my stove isn't enough to get a nice boil anymore, and my outdoor AG experience wasn't fun at all. So I'm thinking about a Grainfather. It seems like a happy compromise between automation and flexibility, and volume. Their website says efficiency can reach 85%! I'm wondering if I need a beefed-up outlet...

UPDATE: I chatted with the customer service agent and she said it needs a 15-amp outlet. They only charge $8 shipping! I might pull the trigger while they have a special going that includes the insulator jacket.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Thinking about a Grainfather (Updated FYI)

Post by John Sand »

Let us know if you pull the trigger. I think Screwy has an all in one system, not sure which. Those things do look cool.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Most outlets are 15 amp rated, but you need a circuit that has 15 amps available on it. Pretty easy to figure out, probably the kitchen has at least one (besides what the frig is on). Keep in mind that simultaneously operating equipment on the same circuit could overload it and pop the breaker. Make sure the grainfather retains memory so that you can turn the breaker back on, and keep going.

When I put a big frig in my basement I cringed. Then I put a freezer (not frost-free) in as my fermentation fridge and wondered if both running at the same time might cause an issue - but no problem.

When the grainfather kicks into boil mode with that heat element going strong would be the time of possible risk. I think I'd test it with just water to begin with to ensure I was good to go.

Remember that IF you need to use an extension cord you ensure that it is heavy duty enough to carry the load.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Thanks for the caveats. I'm thinking it might just be better to upgrade the probable circuit to 20A and be done with it. I really, REALLY don't want a fire.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I am seriously thinking that will be my next upgrade. I have recently wired my garage with a new sub panel and installed lots of 20 amp circuits and a couple 40 amp 220s. Better safe than sorry. If you do upgrade a circuit it takes new 20 amp breaker, 20 amp receptacle (plug) and new 12/3 cable wire. I say go for it.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Pulled the trigger. I'll keep you posted. All I have on that circuit is my keezer with a Johnson controller, and my Williamswarn, which actually pulls very little.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Cool. I am not a gear collector, (I swear) but my ferm fridge, kegerator, big pot etc all make this easier. New stuff can be really good.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I have never really looked closely at this item. Prices are normally out of a reasonable range. This one is not that bad after seeing this thread. I am interested.