How much have you brewed in 2016?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

renagade

Re: How much have you brewed in 2016?

Post by renagade »

So far I've done 6 batches, don't have the dates recorded like you all do!

First batch listermans porter 5 gallons
Listermans imperial IPA 5 gallons
Hopped hard cider 6 gallons
Brewdemons sShedu milk stout 6 gallons
Pale ale recipe PME method 5.5 gallons
Brewdemons raspberry cider 2.5 gallons
Brewdemons Witbier 2.5 gallons currently in the fermenter
32.5 gallons so far
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Currently 8 batches..so 40 gallons.
Ralph's 2016 Spring IPA
Ralph's Situp for Treat Wheat
Ralph's 80 Shilling
Ralph's Ruff and Ready Red
Ralph's Serendipity Pale Ale
Ralph's Wit
Ralph's 2016 Summer IPA
Ralph's Red Hot Red Camaro IPA

Currently have Ralph's Serendipity Pale Ale and Ralph's Wit on Tap. Planning on kegging Ralph''s Red Hot Red Camaro IPA soon. It was ready today.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm well ahead of last year's production so far.

The bar charts represent individual month volume against the left axis (Gallons).
The line chart represents a cumulative/running total against the right axis (also Gallons).

Yeah, I'm at at work. :D
BrewingVolumes.jpg
BrewingVolumes.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

Kealia wrote:I'm well ahead of last year's production so far.

The bar charts represent individual month volume against the left axis (Gallons).
The line chart represents a cumulative/running total against the right axis (also Gallons).

Yeah, I'm at at work. :D
BrewingVolumes.jpg
As an engineer, I love this! :laugh
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I am waaaay behind. My brewing always slows down over the summer, but this summer I haven't brewed much at all. I'm still drinking an Altbier I brewed in the spring and I brewed a Kolsch for a friend after that. I'm sitting on ingredients for a Porter that I will finally be brewing this weekend. I also plan on brewing an IPA this weekend. At this point, I would have to look over my notes to see how many batches I have brewed this year but so far I think I'm at about half a dozen batches.
Brew Strong My Friends...
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey All, been a hard year for me to brew. The intense summer heat,stifeled my brewing. I have no temp. control to speak of,so my brewing sessions are in early to late fall and in early spring. I've always tried in the spring session to brew enough for the summer months.I usually end up with 13-15 cases,which is enough.I'm not a big drinker and I'm the only drinker so that works. As it stands of today I've brewed 49 gallons. I have the makings for another batch for this coming week,and I may try and sneak one or two more until the end of the year. Cheers. :)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

RandyG wrote:Hey All, been a hard year for me to brew. The intense summer heat,stifeled my brewing. I have no temp. control to speak of,so my brewing sessions are in early to late fall and in early spring.
If you want to brew anyways - Bella Saison/Wyeast 3711 and/or Lallemand Abbaye all summer long... all of them still make good beer even if your temps are in the 80s. Or get some Belgian Saison yeast from Wyeast or White Labs. That stuff you can brew at 95 degrees ambient temps and it will still turn out good.

Even if you do not like Saisons and want a hoppy beer, all those yeasts work very well with large late hop additions, especially with citrusy and tropical fruity hops. (lay off the spicy hops, you get some of that from the yeast).

Bella Saison/3711 doesn't really care if your temps wobble around either.
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey Mashani, I have brewed some saisons with Belle yeast,and I have to be honest,I didn't care for the style. Too many tastes around the spectrum for me. I guess I like easy, more familiar styles. I'm in the process of trying to brew low alcohol beer for my wife,who only drinks once and awhile,and then only a light beer. I steep some grains and use Lt. Dme as a base.I still haven't found a hop that she likes though,but i'll keep experimenting. Thanx for the advice. Cheers. :D
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

RandyG wrote:Hey Mashani, I have brewed some saisons with Belle yeast,and I have to be honest,I didn't care for the style. Too many tastes around the spectrum for me. I guess I like easy, more familiar styles. I'm in the process of trying to brew low alcohol beer for my wife,who only drinks once and awhile,and then only a light beer. I steep some grains and use Lt. Dme as a base.I still haven't found a hop that she likes though,but i'll keep experimenting. Thanx for the advice. Cheers. :D
FWIW, what I'm getting at if you add a lot of late hops and some crystal malt, you can make something that tastes more like a pale ale or ipa then a saison. If you use just fruity hops then the yeast spicyness just replaces the spicyness you'd get from other types of hops and goes well with the fruity hops.

Does your wife like white wine? If so, try some Nelson Sauvin hops. Nelson works well with Bella too btw as a big late addition. They are potent however, so don't go overboard until you know what your getting.
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey again Mashani, My SWMBO has very limited taste buds when it comes to imbibing. She will have a few Miller Lites while watching Football (Go Steelers),and some Martini and Rossi Aste Spumanti,but only on New Years Eve and our Anniversary. So normally I brew what seems like I'll like it. I even had some store-bought Saisons b4 brewing mine. Some were totally funky(which I didn't like),and some were spritzy like and sour. So I,m trying to come up with low alcohol brews,that I like. I may have to purchase a second Apt. sized fridge to use for a temp. control fridge,where I can set it for 68 degress and let it go for the 3 weeks. Oh well,onward and upward. Cheers :laugh
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

It was time to look back and see what 2016 looked like in terms of brewing activity. Compared to 2015, there was a big jump - although 2015 was pretty light.
BrewLog   Google Sheets.jpeg
BrewLog Google Sheets.jpeg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Looking at it by month is no real surprise that I'm pretty consistent month-to-month.
BrewLog   Google Sheets_2.jpeg
BrewLog Google Sheets_2.jpeg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
And yeah, I don't feel like working this morning :lol:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

:wow:
Impressive!! I bet even RickBeer will be impressed at your number calculations and the use of charts!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Haha, the best part is that since I moved to a 10G mash tun in January of last year I only had to brew once/month to get 5G instead of doing 2 smaller batches like I was before. While the one brew day was slightly longer than each of the 2 smaller batch days, overall I saved time by only having a single brew day instead of two.

Yeah, I may have brewed fewer different beers but when you have things like Levitation, Simply Simarillo (thanks guys) and a few others in the recipe book, I don't mind rebrewing the same stuff and buying some variety.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Some of you guys really crank out the brews - good on you! I'm jealous (he said, while pointing at: F.Dave, TonyKZ1, jimjohnson, mashani, Dawg LB Steve)

My total for '16 was not as much as I brewed in recent years, but in the ballpark. Life has gotten MUCH busier than it was even a few years ago (kid activities are really kicking into high gear), and I think my 2017 total will be even lower. 2017 might come in around 24 gallons. (I brew 2.5 gallon batches in a 3g Better Bottle.) But, it'll be enough to keep me happily in the hobby, brewing some new recipes and also some old favorites.

2016 - 33 gallons
2015 - 36 gallons
2014 - 40 gallons
2013 - 40 gallons
2012 - 34 gallons
2011 - 19.5 gallons (start of hobby)
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Crazy Climber wrote:(I brew 2.5 gallon batches in a 3g Better Bottle.) But, it'll be enough to keep me happily in the hobby, brewing some new recipes and also some old favorites.
This is all that matters. Some people, like me, don't have a lot of people nearby that I can share with but I do brew larger batches so I can fill growlers for friends when we do get together.