What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Post by John Sand »

I tried Steel Reserve today, though the manager of the distributor was so opposed to my buying any that he gave me a free can to sample. Ugh, he was right. I poured the rest down a sewer. (Don't tell the EPA!) I'm returning the twelve-pack tomorrow.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
pspearing

Post by pspearing »

My wife knows I like to try beers that are new to me, so she bought me a 6-pack of Redd's Apple Ale. I have forgiven her because I love her, but it was pretty bad.
Several of the beers that have been mentioned I've had and found quite drinkable, so I have to wonder whether they were isolated bad bottles. Really bad beer can be either recipe failure or quality control failure. If it's nasty the same way every time then it's not to your taste but presumably somebody likes it. If it's occasionally nasty then the problem is quality control and that's a whole different matter, and a harder one to fix.
Peter Spearing
Nulla actio inultum remanebit.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

For sure, everyone has their individual tastes. I've tried highly ranked beers that I just don't like.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

Watermelon Wheat from Horny Goat Brewing, picked up a random 6er and grabbed on. Yuck!
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. While I normally like Sam Adams products. this one I could not finish
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

docpd wrote:Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. While I normally like Sam Adams products. this one I could not finish
Really. That's one of my wife's favorites, which actually drove me to get Mr. Beer because it was $8 per six pack and I thought that was ridiculous. Brewed the Cherry Wheat as my third batch (a year ago next week) and it was one of the worst batches I ever made.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
asnider

Post by asnider »

Ridin' Dirty Malt Liquor. It was so bad that it had to go back into the fridge between swigs. If it warmed up AT ALL it was pretty much undrinkable.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm going to vote for that one just for the name.
creativewoody

Post by creativewoody »

I think my worst beer is either Mongoose, or a bottle from Boundary Bay Brewery. It was a FULL bottle of trub. The most disgusting glass I had ever seen and refused to buy another beer from them.....ever. Like seriously. got any quality control there?