philmin9's All America Gold

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Philmin9

philmin9's All America Gold

Post by Philmin9 »

Figured I'd post a brew thread since I haven't brewed in a while. I'm brewing Mr. Beer's All America Gold recipe, which is as follows.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Classic American Light HME
1 BrewMax DME Softpack - Pale
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 1/2 oz. Packet Mt. Hood Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

Hops are a 5 minute boil. However, I have an extra DME softpack pale I'm going to add. I also have 3 different extra hops, Mt. Hood, Cascade, and Glacier hops. Should I use any of these hops as a bitterin boil? or aroma or flavor? Or just pick one and dry hop the hell out of the beer?
TimeTraveler
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: philmin9's All America Gold

Post by TimeTraveler »

I would say it is up to you what you want to do. It isn't a particularly hoppy brew (only 11 IBUs if made straight). If you want to hop it up a little, use the Cascade in a longer boil. If you want more aroma - use the extra Mr. Hood to boost the floral /spice aroma. The Glacier would add a citrusy note to the aroma if you use it.
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

Since its my first brew in quite some time, I spent more time on the sanitation aspect of things than the recipe. I ended up just brewing the recipe straight, and if I like it I'll keep it, if not, then I can order it again and make changes as needed. The extra Glacier hops sound like that could have been a nice touch though.
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I have heard good things about Glacier hops. They could be an interesting addition next time.
Philmin9

Post by Philmin9 »

Still haven't decided about dry hopping, but I tasted a sip today, it still has time in the lbk, but it tasted fantastic.