Dry Hopping In A Corny Keg

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Dry Hopping In A Corny Keg

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

At our meetup in Asheville someone, I think it was Inkleg, shared a beer dry hopped for an extended period. The beer tasted really good and did not have any proverbial 'vegetal' flavors. For years its been a sort of unspoken homebrew gospel where dry hops left in beer for months will spoil the beer's flavor and aroma.

I have 2 five gallon kegs of a Maris Otter/Mosaic SMaSH, each with 4 ounces of dry hops each and plan to leave them in the kegs until they're kicked.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: Dry Hopping In A Corny Keg

Post by Beer-lord »

I've left hops in the keg for up to 2 months with no veggie flavors. The flavor did change a bit but not in a bad way. I felt the older it got the more bitter it was but not overly so. I think it's possible that too much in a keg may cause some slight off flavors but I wouldn't worry about a few months.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I've heard to dry hop in the keg, to wait 1-2 weeks before tap'n then drop a sac in? I've wanted to do this with a keg of IPA. Would this work good instead of leaving it in for a couple months?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've done it a number of times as well without any issues. It usually takes me 2-3 months to kick a 5G keg and I've often dry-hopped in the keg for the entire team without issue, too.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

FrozenInTime wrote:I've heard to dry hop in the keg, to wait 1-2 weeks before tap'n then drop a sac in? I've wanted to do this with a keg of IPA. Would this work good instead of leaving it in for a couple months?
I have just been racking the beer from the fermenter to the keg and dunking the hops right in the keg at the same time. After only 1 week the beer definitely had a lot of aroma and good carbonation.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'