Poll: which upgrade to pursue?

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Which upgrade provides the most bang for the buck?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Oxygenation kit
6%
pH meter
6%
Wort chiller
88%

Total votes: 17
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Poll: which upgrade to pursue?

Post by Crazy Climber »

I own none of the above.
Which would be, in your opinion, the one that would improve my brewing more than the others, from a cost/benefit perspective?
Feel free to state your case in replies.

Background:
For oxygen, currently I just shake the hell out of the carboy after transferring.
For pH, I know my water's starting pH and guesstimate based on EZWater spreadsheet and adding acid as needed, based on the spreadsheet's calculations.
For chilling, I use an ice bath in a utility sink.

Thanks in advance for your two cents!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Poll: which upgrade to pursue?

Post by FrozenInTime »

Oxygenation kit I have and rarely use. I pour my wort into the carboy and it splashes pretty good. ph meter, I have never checked, never cared to play water chemistry as my beer comes out great. Wort Chiller, well worth the $$, cuts down the waiting time for me big time. My well water is a constant 50 degrees, even during the dog days of summer. Takes me about 15 minutes to go from boiling to 70 degrees. I used to do the sink/ice chill, it works but takes a little more time but since I started to do 6 gallon batches, the sink chill would not be worth the time to mess with.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I voted for the chiller to because the faster you can chill your beer, the faster you can get yeast into it and start the love going and keep out the bad stuff.
I almost always use my oxygen kit though there are always easy and free ways to aerate it (like you said). Water treatments are great but if you already have good water, start with the chiller now then move to the others later.
Have fun!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

:uwish: Out of them 3 options, chiller all the way....
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Chiller. Getting down to pitching temp quickly means less time for nasties to take hold. Always heard with a good hot break and good cold break you get less hazy proteins in the finished product.
My 2 cents.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Definitely get a good wort chiller first, you will thank yourself every time you brew.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Chiller, for sure.

I honestly have ever used my oxygenator (is that a word?) once. I just pour my wort between buckets a couple of times now, seems just as effective to me.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Looks that the Wort Chiller is gonna win this hands down!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

Getting a chiller is like going to bed early, you'll never regret it the next day!
Thirsting For Knowledge
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

As far as the oxygenator setup I got from AIH, just get the red O2 bernzomatic type cylinders from home improvement stores, I use every brew. Get about a dozen from a tank. Between my water treatment and O2 my yeast lag times are around 6-8 hours now. If I don't use the O2, lag times get into 18-20 hour range.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'll be the dissenting vote and say go with the oxygen kit. Since you already use an ice bath the chiller *will* make cooling faster, but I see two advantages to the oxygen kit:
1) Better, happier, healthier yeast (because there is a limit to the amount of oxygen you can get by shaking/pouring)
2) Less work from not having to shake the carboy

Don't get me wrong, I love my chiller. But I see this as shaving some time off your chilling by getting one versus increasing the health of your yeast by going the other way.

Keep in mind, I'm about 60/40 in favor of the oxygen kit, but it is close enough to be swayed. Either way, I think you'll be really happy with your choice.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

My vote would depend on a couple things:

1) If you are primarily a dry yeast user, I wouldnt bother with an oygen system just yet if I had to pick between items.

2) A ph meter can be handy, and even using water calcs its good to double check things but not a necessity. It wont improve your beer if your beer is already tasting good. If you are confident in the numbers and like the results then all is well.

3) How big are your batch sizes? If doing 5 gal batches sure, a chiller will be a great time and energy saver and you will have it for years to come.

But my main question is what are you doing for temp control. That is ways my number one recomendation to help make the beer you are brewing even better. But if I had to vote between the 3 items above I also would go with a chiller. :clink:
Brew Strong My Friends...
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Wow, I did not expect the landslide that I got! Thanks, all, for the opinions.

To answer MadBrewer's questions - I do have an old fridge that I use with a Johnson controller for fermentation control. And I'm probably about 70/30 dry yeast.

A couple of items make me a little hesitant to jump on the wort chiller bandwagon quite so readily (but I probably will, eventually) --

1- I mostly do half-sized batches (2.5g using a 3g Better Bottle), so chilling the smaller volume is not the chore that it would be at a full 5 gallons. (But it is still a chore, as my ice bath method takes between 30-60 minutes depending on time of year and desired pitching temp. I actually start with just cold water and drain it once or twice before switching to ice, to help bring the temp down a bit without wasting ice.)

2- I perform the ice bath in my utility sink, which is in an unfinished portion of the basement with marginal ventilation, and I suspect the atmosphere in there is crawling with cooties. So, I keep the kettle lid on. The thought of running a wort chiller in that environment, with the lid off, makes me very nervous. Yes, I could run the chiller outside instead, but that doesn't help in the winter where I'd have to haul the kettle through piles of snow to get to the outdoor spigot.

I've got a friend who has a homemade copper chiller; I may ask to borrow it this spring, to give a try and see what I think. You guys have convinced me that it's definitely worth looking into.

And I confess...there's a chance I will end up accumulating all three items at some point over the next few years, so it's really just a matter of which comes first. Thanks again for all the input!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

When you do the ice water thing in the sink, do you use salt? Salt significantly drops the temperature and a slurry with the water transfers the cold more efficiently than ice alone.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I make ice blocks in Tupperware and Cool Whip containers. About 15 cool down 3.5 gallons in 15 mins or so. No cold water first. I put the blue ice blocks in first to get the water pre-cold for the last 15 min of the boil, then remove them and add the ice blocks.

Leaving the lid on is inhibiting your cooling, i.e. keeping the wort moving in a circle and letting heat out. Cooties should die no problem. Or carry it up to the kitchen sink.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)