Hello from Long Beach CA

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Hello from Long Beach CA

Post by Inkleg »

Like mashani said, batch priming in the primary fermenter is not the best. Using a bottling bucket would be your best option. Since you're doing BrewDemon size batches a normal bottling bucket will work. I know there are 2 gallon buckets out there that could work.

Weigh out your priming sugar, recheck that measurement!! We know how you are about that :lol:
(In all seriousness you have taken your slight first screwup in stride and I feel your on your way to being a great brewer. I'm sure you've wondered how you received such good information on your first mishap :whistle: )

I put my priming sugar in a sauce pan with about a cup of water for a 2 gallon batch and bring to above 180. Some will say you have to bring it to a boil and I use to, but have since stopped worrying about it.
I'll use sanatized tubing to GENTLY transfer the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. About halfway through I'll GENTLY pour in the priming solution and start bottling. I'll set my bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher and open the door to catch any drips. When I'm done I just close the dishwasher. ;) Sometimes it's just the simple tips.

Edit: Gently because you want to avoid oxidation at this point.
Also mashani has an old farm house with Brett C in the air vents. Most of us can open fermenters with no problem, but again the fewer time you do the fewer problems you have.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Haha! I wanted to be totally up front about my first batch sugar screw up and you guys have been amazingly supportive so thank you all for that!!!

I want to batch prime so I never do that again!!!! Haha.

A couple of questions then.... Firstly I have the 6 gallon Brewdemon so obviously I'll need a bigger bucket correct? And can I use the bottle filler and hose that came with the Brewdemon, using the tap on that to move the beer into a bottling bucket and then use it right after on the tap of the bottling bucket to fill the bottles?

Also feel free to give me a hard time whenever you guys feel like it!!! I'm English originally and we love sarcasm and a good bit of banter!

Cheers and thaks to all for your patience and help.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I learn something every brew day and many others here have learned from my mistakes. :lol:

So you're doing the bigger batches, gotcha.
Yes you can use the tubing to go from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. You want it long enough to reach the bottom of the bottling bucket to avoid splashing. To go from the spigot of the BB to the bottling wand you only need a short length of tubing, 2 inches will work.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

But I can use the same wand both times correct...?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You don't need a wand to go from your fermenter to the bucket, just a long piece of tubing that reaches all the way to the bottom.

You don't want to be messing with the spring/pressure valve for racking to a bucket, you want to just turn on the tap and let it rip.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I posted before I saw page 2 of posts. Deleted unneeded comments.
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Update on my humiliating first batch balls up (probably a good name for the beer when done)... For those still interested.

I drank one yesterday for scientific research purposes only. Forget the champagne of beers, this was like the Old Faithful Geyser of beers. Very, very carbonated. Looked pretty good but tasted sweet not surprising I guess. Having said that the beer itself other than being a little sweet for my taste, was pretty good. No funkyness at all. Bottles are as hard as the balls of a celibate teenage monk but I decided to leave them as I have vented 3 times already. Tonight I noticed the caps on the bottles are bulging upwards so I decided to vent again. This time only let the CO2 escape for a couple of seconds as I lost some beer from the bottles the first couple of times I vented and the bottle are probably 70 to 80% full at this point. So for those following thats 4 vents since bottled on Monday. Today is Sunday night.

Anyone have any more tips or thoughts for me that would be great. Am I on the right track...?

Cheers as always!
Red.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think you are on the right track. I'm glad your beer tastes good, that's a great start. The guys who have been advising you are some of our best, one of them will come along today to comment.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

At this point, I'm not sure anything you do will make a big difference. Just get them as cold as possible and keep venting them. I'm not sure you'll ever get all the carb out of them. However, it's your first beer and you've got a handle of what not to do next time. With each batch you'll learn something new and before you know it, you'll be drinking some very fine beers.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I wouldn't worry too much about over-venting as you have a LOT of carbonation in there. Besides, if it ends up flat you English like a good cask ale, right? :D
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

Kealia wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about over-venting as you have a LOT of carbonation in there. Besides, if it ends up flat you English like a good cask ale, right? :D
Haha! That's tue......
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

+1 on the getting them cold asap. the longer you let them chill the sweetness will mellow
Red Beerd

Post by Red Beerd »

How do you guys like those Grolsch swing top bottles for bottling by the way? I'm currently drinking a few to for research purposes only ;)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Red Beerd wrote:How do you guys like those Grolsch swing top bottles for bottling by the way? I'm currently drinking a few to for research purposes only ;)
They are nice, and I would use them if I didn't have messed up hands.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Red Beerd wrote:How do you guys like those Grolsch swing top bottles for bottling by the way? I'm currently drinking a few to for research purposes only ;)
They are the best, you never have to worry about bottle bombs. If they get too much pressure, they vent.