Teach me about water adjustments

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Teach me about water adjustments

Post by Beer-lord »

BlackDuck wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:I take a sample 15 minutes in, cool and measure.
What do you do if your pH is off? How do you correct it mid mash?
I've only had to do this twice. Once I added some lactic acid (very small amount) to bring it down and one other time I added backing soda to bring it up. But I've read that usually 30 minutes in, most of the mash has done its work and what you add may not make much of a difference. That's why I'm happy that I've pretty much got my system tweaked like I need it. But, I'm always looking to make it better.
My last few beers the ph has been pretty much where it is supposed to so I'm almost to the point where on re-brews of the same recipe, I won't even bother checking the ph.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Beer-lord wrote:But I've read that usually 30 minutes in, most of the mash has done its work and what you add may not make much of a difference
That was my thought too, that's why I asked the question. So if it's off, there may not be much you can do on the current batch, but you can make corrections for future batches.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's the way I've been approaching it. But I'm still very much a newb at this though happy with where I am so far.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:I take a sample 15 minutes in, cool and measure.
What do you do if your pH is off? How do you correct it mid mash?
I've only had to do this twice. Once I added some lactic acid (very small amount) to bring it down and one other time I added backing soda to bring it up. But I've read that usually 30 minutes in, most of the mash has done its work and what you add may not make much of a difference.
So, yeah, it won't make much of a difference when you are talking about mash efficiency, but if you actually change the final resulting PH that of the wort you end up boiling (as in your additions don't get buffered by the mash) it can still make a difference as far as yeast metabolism later, and also could effect hop extraction and/or hop perception and/or taste perception in the final beer.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Thanks, folks. I figured checking was really for future batches too, what with short mashes being a thing and all. By the time you check the pH, most of the conversion is done.

I'm hoping to get the calculator dialed close enough that I can trust it and not have to measure the pH all the time. I just got whatever the cheapo one was on homebrewfinds the other day. Decent reviews on Amazon. I don't want to obsess over it, just get in the ballpark. I'm not going to sweat 5.2 vs 5.4, but I want to know when I think I'm at 5.4 and I'm really at 6 or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

FWIW, I try to keep my light colored beers closer to 5.2-5.3 and the darker beers closer to the 5.4-5.5 range.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've actually thought of trying Accumash once just to see how it works out. http://www.accu-mash.com/products.html
It's for 5 gallons and I usually do 6 so I get at least 5 in the keg but I've been mixed on trying it. Rather pricey though and I'm not sure it'll be any better than my mad scientist method.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black